Author Topic: Help on "LIBER CLERI" Entry  (Read 7742 times)

Offline supermoussi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Help on "LIBER CLERI" Entry
« on: Friday 02 July 10 17:31 BST (UK) »
I found the following entry on the internet:-

"124 LIBER CLERI, a.d. 1585

HuGENDON — Master Hugh Lane, vicar; ord. pr. by the bp. of Peterborough, 19 Sept., 1572 ; /. 8^/. ; /. he has to exhibit.
"

Three questions:-

1) Why would a vicar be appointed to a parish in Bucks (Hughendon) by the Bishop of Peterborough???
2) Can the level of education received by the vicar be determined from the entry?
3) What exactly does it mean by "he has to exhibit"?

Many Thanks

Offline supermoussi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Help on "LIBER CLERI" Entry
« Reply #1 on: Friday 02 July 10 17:38 BST (UK) »
I also found another mention of the vicar in question:-

"162 SUBSIDY OF ARMOUR, a.d. 1590
WENDOVER DECANATUS

Hychendenn vicaria — Mr [Hugo] Lane a Bowe."

Surely this can't mean that the vicar owned a Bow and arrows?  :o

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 02 July 10 18:14 BST (UK) »
He was Ordained Priest by the Bishop of Peterborough, he was not appointed to the Parish of Hughenden by him unless the Bishop was the Patron of the parish. The patron of the Parish had the right to nominate a clergyman to a living, also know as the Advowson.The advowson of Hughenden follows the descent of Hughenden Manor  the present owner being Mr. Coningsby Disraeli .
http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=42529&strquery=Hughenden
Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 02 July 10 18:37 BST (UK) »

Offline newburychap

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 02 July 10 19:11 BST (UK) »
The advowson of Hughenden follows the descent of Hughenden Manor  the present owner being Mr. Coningsby Disraeli .
Stan
The 'present owner' in 1925. 

I don't think that advowsons have anything to do with the modern chuch. Too many team ministries and combined parishes. I know that parishes local to me select their own vicars/rectors - a responsibility of the PCC (with the Archdeacon watching closely). I guess advowsons went out with the tithes that made them valuable.
Latest project - www.westberkshirewarmemorials.org.uk
Currently researching:<br /> Newbury pubs  & inns - the buildings, breweries and publican families.
Member of Newbury District Field Club - www.ndfc.org.uk

Offline supermoussi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 02 July 10 19:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks Stan and Newburychap,

I have got to admit I thought it a bit funny if he was presented to Hughendon by the Bishop of Peterborough in 1572, as the Hughendon records say he was presented to the parish by Sir William Dormer, Knight (the Dormers were the local big wigs) in 1574.

So if he was actually just appointed as a priest by the Bishop of Peterborough in 1572 and he had 2 years before he was given his own parish, would that mean:-

a) he spent a couple of years working for the Bishop of Peterborough either in Peterborough Cathedral or in the Diocese of Peterborough, which covered Northamptonshire, Rutland and the Soke of Peterborough in Cambridgeshire?

b) he is likely to have been born in the Diocese of Peterborough and perhaps educated there? (his son Samuel was made vicar of Gamlingay, Cambs and there are a few "Hugh Lane" IGI entries very nearby at Sandy, Beds)

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 02 July 10 20:39 BST (UK) »
The advowson of Hughenden follows the descent of Hughenden Manor  the present owner being Mr. Coningsby Disraeli .
Stan
The 'present owner' in 1925. 

I don't think that advowsons have anything to do with the modern chuch. Too many team ministries and combined parishes. I know that parishes local to me select their own vicars/rectors - a responsibility of the PCC (with the Archdeacon watching closely). I guess advowsons went out with the tithes that made them valuable.

The right, known as an Advowson, of nomination or presentation of a clergyman to an ecclesiastical benefice is exercised by a diocesan bishop or by some other person or body corporate either lay or clerical known as the Patron. Even though a candidate may have been nominated by a patron for institution and induction he may still be rejected by the bishop in whose diocese the vacancy has occurred. An Advowson  is a form of property which could bought, or sold or given away and is subject to civil law.
An Advowson in the Church of England is a property right which can pass by gift, inheritance, or until 1923 by sale. However since the Patronage (Benefices) Measure 1986, only communicant members of the Church of England can exercise the right of patronage, and nominations require the consent of the bishop and representatives of the Parochial Church Council.
If you get a diocesan year book for a particular diocese, the entry for each parish will state who the patron is. Patrons of parishes are also given in old directories.
Stan

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 02 July 10 20:47 BST (UK) »
For example in Chester Diocese, the Parishes of Frodsham, and All Saints Runcorn are in the Patronage of the Dean & Chapter, Christ Church, Oxford, and the patron of Daresbury Parish, is Lord Daresbury.
See  http://www.rootschat.com/links/0938/   for the position now.
Stan   

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 02 July 10 21:11 BST (UK) »
There are two kinds of Advowson; collative and presentative
Collation; the institution to a benefice of a member of the clergy when the Ordinary (usually the bishop of the diocese) is the Patron. This means that the presentation and institution to the benefice are one and the same act.
Presentative, where the Patron is a person or body having the right to nominate a member of the clergy to a benefice. In almost all cases there is now consultation between the patron and the bishop, and the bishop and the Parochial Church Council before a member of the clergy is instituted.
From "A Basic Church Dictionary" by Tony Meakin, 2001.

Stan