Author Topic: NANCARROW - St Agnes  (Read 3113 times)

Offline united

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
NANCARROW - St Agnes
« on: Wednesday 30 March 05 16:27 BST (UK) »
Joice Nancarrow married Joseph Ninnis on 19 May 1804 at St Agnes. They had at least 8 children - among them, my 2xgreat grandmother Rhoda Ninnis. Despite much searching amongst seemingly hundreds of Nancarrows in St Agnes and surrounding parishes, I have never managed to find Joice's baptism. I suspect she may be the grandaugter of George and Joyce Nancarrow who appear to have had at least four sons, but have never been able to make the connection. If anyone has any information about this family, I would be glad to hear from them!

Offline KernishKim

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: NANCARROW - ST AGNES
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 April 05 10:53 BST (UK) »
Hi

Found a birth at St Agnes of Joice Nancarrow in 1758 St Agnes, parents George and Joyce.
But that would make her 46 when she got married!!
I think the year of birth has been transcribed wrongly.

Children of Joice and Joseph Ninnes:
Mary, Paul, Martha, Rhoda, Joice, Susannah, James, Ann and Joseph.
All born between 1804 - 1820
Golder, Mitson, Norwich<br />Wilson, Southwell Notts<br />Curnow,Laity, Cornwall<br />Anderson, Durham<br />Ryce, Scotland

Offline united

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 17 April 05 22:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that - I have seen that before, and in the original register.  I believe that may be "my" Joice's aunt ....!!! More wishful thinking, I think ...!
I was interested in the children of Joseph and Joice you found though - I have them most of them, except Susannah and Joseph - did you get this from the PR??  Mary is listed in the PR as daughter of Joseph and Mary.

Thanks for your help

Offline KernishKim

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 April 05 00:57 BST (UK) »
Hi!! Info. from familysearch.org - I.G.Index

Have Mary, bapt. 1804, Joseph bapt. 1808, and Susannah bapt. 1820. All St Agnes, Parents Joseph and Joyce Ninnes.
I too have an interest in the Ninnes Family!! Marriages of Ninnes to Curnows, Towednack, nr St Ives!!
Golder, Mitson, Norwich<br />Wilson, Southwell Notts<br />Curnow,Laity, Cornwall<br />Anderson, Durham<br />Ryce, Scotland

Offline united

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 April 05 13:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that!!
After I had replied before, I realised that I had found Susannah on familysearch - but not in the PR - next thing to check, because she turns up on later censuses with other members of this family....!

Mary was listed as daughter of Joseph and Mary in the PR when I checked.

Joice is my big "brick wall" - cannot find any trace of her ...!!

I have lots of information about the Ninnis family, but mostly in St Agnes - if you think I can help with your family - please ask!!  I have noted down most of the Ninnis references in the PRs at one time or another in St Agnes!!!

Offline klg8

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: NANCARROW - St Agnes
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 16 November 11 01:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi united,

I have

Joseph NINNIS  b. Wednesday 24 February 1779
                m. [F239] Saturday 19 May 1804 St Agnes, Cornwall
                [P683] Joice NANCARROW  b. ABT 1782 d. Tuesday 16 October 1821,

I'm related in there somewhere through the Ninnis family.

William NINNIS  b. ABT 1775, St Agnes, Cornwall d. AFT
                m. [F119] Sunday 9 October 1803 St Agnes, Cornwall
                [P308] Joanna MARTIN  b. ABT 1786, St Agnes

klg8
YOUNG - Cupar, Fife
GILLESPIE - Cupar, Fife
HAGGARTY - Cupar, Fife and Merchant and Royal Navy and Belfast, N Ireland
NINNIS, Cornwall

Offline united

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 24 November 11 00:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi - glad to know these old posts are still read ....!!
I have the marriage of Joseph and Joice - it is Joice's baptism that has had me tearing my hair out for many years - and I am no nearer solving it, although to be honest, have not addressed the issue much lately, other lines are more fruitful!

I have never been able to tie the William Ninnis you mention into "my" family, although feel there has to be a connection somewhere.  Joanna Martin was a witness to the marriage of Joseph and Joice in 1804 and I have always supposed that it is the same one as married William - but then again, they married in 1803, so why would she still be using the name Martin ....?  Never just an answer - always more questions ...!

Offline allanpeter

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 13 May 21 14:01 BST (UK) »
Yes - the old posts are still read!  You mention that you have information regarding the Ninnis family at St Agnes. I am looking at several generations spanning George Innis (late 1600s) through George (N)Innis (1689 - 1743) to Paul Ninnis (1742 - 1814) to Paul Ninnis (1774 - 1843).  They were all connected with tin-mining, and based at St Agnes (except for the last Paul who was last working as agent at Wheal Busy in 1841).  Also James Ninnis (1809 - 1879).  I am searching for which mines the above worked at, and in what capacity.  James I know was a mine captain near St Agnes before he emigrated to New Zealand, but of the roles of the others (agent, mine captain, tut-workman or tributer) I have not been successful in finding out.  I know there was a Ninnis mine south of Seworgan, but I don't think that had any connection with the St Agnes Ninnis'. Anything you might have on this would be very welcome.  Paul of Wheal Busy was my great x 3 grandfather.