Author Topic: Hodgetts  (Read 5566 times)

Offline Robyn Coates

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hodgetts
« on: Monday 05 July 10 03:20 BST (UK) »
I am new to this forum and live in Melbourne Australia and am interested in Booth and Elizabeth (M/s Hope) Hodgetts - who married in Westerham on 4 Nov 1816.
His death is registered in April-June 1845 Sevenoaks Kent - I am waiting for death cert. to arrive. I have Nat. Burial Index on CD but cannot find his burial.
I think they had 6 chn - Thomas, Mary, Wm, Booth, Mary Campion and Joseph Hope.
My line is from Wm who came to Oz in 1852 aboard SS Great Britain.
Anyone else researching this family?
Haines  Hodgetts Upton Cuddeford Wildman Pfennig
Coates Eustice Hampton

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: Hodgetts
« Reply #1 on: Monday 05 July 10 13:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Robyn,
Welcome to Rootschat :)

This is possibly Elizabeth and 2 children in 1851;

1851 Census
Park Crescent,
Aston, Warwickshire
HO107/2062/64/26

Elizabeth HODGETTS, 50, Head, Widow, Fund Holder, born Lenham, Kent
Mary C Hodgetts, 22, Daug, Unm, born Sundridge, Kent
Joseph H Hodgetts, 21, Son, Unm, Surveyer, born Dover, Kent

1841 Census has;
Elizabeth HODGETTS, 35, Independant
Thomas, 20
Booth, 15
WILLIAM, 15
Joseph, 10
All NOT born in County

Living in Allesley, Warwickshire is another Booth Hodgetts. Possible Father of Booth who married Elizabeth?
HO107/1136/1/Allesley
Living in Aston, Warwickshire HO107/1150/1/Aston

Booth HODGETTS, 85 (born c 1756), Independant
Mary, 45
Elizabeth, 35
All NOT born in County

I think that you might find the Death Cert you are waiting for is of Booth Hodgetts Jnr!.
According to a family Tree he was born c 1826 and died 1845.

By Census entries it appears Booth Snr died pre 1841.

Your WILLIAM was Christened 29 May 1825, Brasted, Kent
Parents, BOOTH Hodgetts and ELIZABETH

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 05 July 10 13:56 BST (UK) »
The IGI has these christenings Old Meeting House NC, Dudley, Worcester
To BOOTH and ELIZABETH Hodgetts;
THOMAS WEBB, 05 January 1789
MARY, 05 April 1790
ELIZABETH, 09 May 1796 (may have died)
ELIZABETH, 16 Mach 1798
BOOTH, 29 August 1791##

2 of these could be the Mary/Elizabeth I posted on 1841 Census

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Robyn Coates

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 July 10 00:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks Trish for your very detailed reply.
This family has so many Booths and Williams, Elizabeths and Marys that it becomes quite confusing.
I think there are 2 Booth Hodgetts who die in the 1840s -
I know that one is born in 1758 and dies in 1844 - buried at Allesley - we have visited the grave
and then there is another in 1845.
I have assumed this (1845) is the Booth born in 1791 as his wife Elizabeth is listed as a widow in 1851 census but she could have already been a widow in 1841 as there is no mention of her husband.
But you could well be right and this is the Booth born in 1826.
So I will now need to re-read all the paperwork associated with the Will of Booth (1758-1844) and see what I discover.
Many thanks
Robyn
Coates Eustice Hampton

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 July 10 14:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Robyn,
Greetings from Sydney :)

Look I might not be right and the Death Cert should confirm the details of which Booth it is.
I am not sure whether you know when Elizabeth died but she is with Joseph and Family in 1871 aged 73. If you need details just ask. Even Joseph names a Son Booth!
Let us know the Cert outcome please.

Offline Robyn Coates

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 06 July 10 23:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks Trish for you continued help and support.  :) :)
I do have access to the census through ancestry and findmaypast(1911) and I am finding the 18th and 19th century newspapers online fom the National Library of Australia (from British Library)  a wonderful resource and have found mention of many of my families.
Yesterday I downloaded from TNA another five wills for this family and along with the five I have, I have plenty of reading and transcribing to do.
It is such a slow procedure and with so many of them having the same name it is even more confusing.
The Booth I am interested in (1791-?) is mentioned in his father Booth's (1758-1844) will with its 6 codicils and I have assumed that with so many codicils, if he (Booth 1791) had died before father at least there would be some mention or another codicil written to reflect this - this could be a false assumption.
I have noticed that in reading 'trees' on this family I have found quite a few errors so I like to work from first principles.
I will post when the death certificate arrives. It could be for a totally different family.
Cheers Robyn
Coates Eustice Hampton

Offline Robyn Coates

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 07 July 10 07:56 BST (UK) »
The continuing saga of the Hodgetts men name Booth

Through reading the Will of Booth Hodgetts [1822] I see that his will is proved in August 1852.
There is a "Male Hodgetts 'death at Aston Warwick in 1852 Jan/Mar Qtr so I wonder if this is him - I have applied for this certificate also. TNA and GRO are doing well from me this week!!
His brother William (my direct ancestor) was married at Aston on 31 July 1852 and came to Australia aboard SS Great Britain in August 1852.
 :) I feel if I am making some progress :)
Robyn

Coates Eustice Hampton

Offline Robyn Coates

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Hodgetts - Booth
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 28 July 10 12:07 BST (UK) »
Received the death certificate today for Booth Hodgetts who died 15th May 1845 aged 22 years (baptised 29 Dec 1822) - gentleman - the cause of his death is consumption - his will is dated 5th May 1845 and not proved until 13 August 1852.
He dies at Charmans Westerham Kent (I think this may have been the home of his grandparents  - HOPE)
I am not sure why it took so long regarding his will to be proved unless they were trying to sort out other family members' wills in the meantime. This Hodgetts family seem to be mega wealthy.
Alas this means his father Booth Hodgett's death is still missing - he is bapt 29 August 1791 and I cannot find a death. I bought another certificate in Aston Warwick but this wasn't him.
I have his family in the 1841 census - he isn't with them and other census and subsequent marriages and deaths.
His youngest child is born in 1830 so one assumes he was around 1829/1830 and I know he has died by 31 Jul 1845 when his son Thomas marries in London as it is written on the marriage register.
I can't find a will for him and I have downloaded the rest of the family.
Any help would be wonderful.
Cheers
Robyn

Coates Eustice Hampton

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 28 July 10 12:48 BST (UK) »
Have you tried Google books or The Times online archive?
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk