Author Topic: Gillion/Gilleran  (Read 8071 times)

Offline brownhills

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Gillion/Gilleran
« on: Wednesday 30 March 05 18:41 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I am trying to trace my Gillion/Gilleran family who I now believe came from Roscommon.  I would be interested in hearing from anyone with these names in Roscommon.

Thanks,
Stephanie

Offline liamgilleran

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Gillion/Gilleran
« Reply #1 on: Friday 15 July 05 20:16 BST (UK) »
Hello, my fathers father is from Roscommon, Strokestown, His name is John James Gilleran but is known as Shaun Gilleran.

Please reply

Offline GILLERAN

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 April 09 07:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Liam!

I'm also a Gilleran.  My GGFather was John Gilleran.  Not sure about his middle name or where he lived, but I know he emigrated from Ireland and I hear we're all related by blood.  His son is my GFather - Murray Patrick Gilleran. 

I have heard that GGFather John tried to get into Ellis Island but was turned away and came in through Halifax, Nova Scotia instead.  Not sure if this is true.  My GFather spent his early days trading horses back and forth from North Dakota across the Canadian border.  His son is my Father - Aurele Murray Gilleran.  Most of us Gillerans live in British Columbia, but my immediate family moved to the east of Canada (via IBM!:) and then to Connecticut (USA), where I still live.

Do you think my GGF John Gilleran is related to the one you reference?  Do you think we're related?  Is it true we're all related, and came from the same Clan?  Do you have any more information you can share?  Do you still live in Roscommon County and are there other Gillerans still living there? What's it like there? 

Offline nicol1966

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 09 May 11 03:03 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I've just started researching my family tree and have found a Thomas Gilleran b1852, my great great grandfather. The 1881 census says that he was born in Roscommon but haven't been able to find him in any other census.

1881 census states that he is married with four children living in Wolstanton, Staffordshire and working as a railway servant.

If you can help me with any more information on the Gilleran's from Roscommon I would be very grateful

Thanks Nicol1966

Offline Formernewyorker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 08 January 22 03:26 GMT (UK) »
I am also related to the Gilleran clan. See my post today about Thomas Nevin and Ellen Gilleran.

Ellen’s father was James Gilleran born 1841, his wife was Catherine Davis born 1846.

Besides Ellen, their other children are: Mary Ann 1872, Patrick 1876,
Thomas 1878, James 1880, Frances 1882 and Mary 1882

Would love to know more about the Gilleran clan from Roscommon.

Thanks

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 08 January 22 11:24 GMT (UK) »

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

I am also related to the Gilleran clan. See my post today about Thomas Nevin and Ellen Gilleran.

Here's your associated thread for others-
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=857274.0

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo