Author Topic: Tracing Littlejohn family in Fife  (Read 10190 times)

Offline bamamom

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Tracing Littlejohn family in Fife
« on: Tuesday 06 July 10 00:35 BST (UK) »
I am looking for Littlejohn family in Fife prior to 1700. 

Oliver Littlejohn immigrated to America about 1682, to Stafford County which is in northern Virginia. 

I believe his parents were:  John Littlejohn (born in Fife about 1639) and Anne Murray. 

Oliver's grandfather was also named John Littlejohn, born Dunfermline, Fife, Scotland in September 1608 (so I have been told).

Trying to verify and gather more information...would appreciate any help I can get!

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Tracing Littlejohn family in Fife
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 July 10 21:03 BST (UK) »
found these in search on SP: john littlejohn/fife 1600 =-1640

18/09/1608 LITLJOHNE, JOHNE
JAMES LITLJOHNE/EFFIE SCHORTOUS  M DUNFERMLINE /FIFE

17/11/1633 LITLJOHNE, JOHNE
JOHNE LITLJOHNE/JANET WILSON  M DUNFERMLINE /FIFE

23/03/1634 LITLJOHNE, JOHN
GEORGE WILLIAM LITLJOHNE/CHRISTANE BROUN M
DUNFERMLINE /FIFE

looks as if Littlejohns came from Dunfermline for a while. you would need to buy credits to check these out. what date was your Oliver born?

a search of littlejohn / fife /1600 -1700  brings up 67 refs!!

Diddy
Cooks -(Clackmannanshire); Erskines - (fife); Youngs - (Dunfermline); Charltons - (Tyneside ); Skillings - (N.Norfolk); Legg - (N.Yorks, Tyneside) ; Carter - (Durham); Miller -(suffolk); Pattinson -(Lincs)

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 July 10 21:10 BST (UK) »
there is a tree on A* - should take care as it has Olivers death date before his marriage date!! :o

there is also another private tree so you would have to be a member /contact them through A*

Diddy
Cooks -(Clackmannanshire); Erskines - (fife); Youngs - (Dunfermline); Charltons - (Tyneside ); Skillings - (N.Norfolk); Legg - (N.Yorks, Tyneside) ; Carter - (Durham); Miller -(suffolk); Pattinson -(Lincs)

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 July 10 21:17 BST (UK) »
Its amazing - looking at how many trees on A* for this family have obviously copied one another and got Olivers death as 1704 and his marriage as 1705!! don't people think for themselves??

Diddy  ???

Offline bamamom

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 07 July 10 00:42 BST (UK) »
It amazes me as well that people copy information from other people's 'family trees' without researching to see how accurate it is, trying to document the information or without looking to see the marriage date is after the death date!  That is one reason I am looking for Littlejohn information in Scotland...everything I have seen so far is either equally as wrong or conflicting!

For example...I have seen where Oliver Littlejohn was born in 1680 but along with that Oliver was said to 'read and write' and to have immigrated in 1682...didn't know anyone 2 years old could 'read and write'!

Have also seen where Oliver was born in 1660 or there abouts...which had him immigrating around the age of 20 yrs old...more reasonable...

But researching records in Scotland (or outside the US) is new to me...what do you mean by "found these on SP"?  Do you have a web address?  And what is "A*"...sorry to know so little about these abbreviations...

Thanks so much for your help...I can see one of your entries does pertain to my Littlejohn line...it is this one...17/11/1633 LITLJOHNE, JOHNE
JOHNE LITLJOHNE/JANET WILSON  M DUNFERMLINE /FIFE
....this appears to be Oliver's grandfather John who I have marrying a "Jonet Wilson"

bamamom

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 07 July 10 09:03 BST (UK) »
Hi, sorry to take things for granted myself!!

SP is scotlands people which would be good for you to know about as it contains a wealth
of Scottish records all on one site. It is pay as you go by credits but you can search the indexes for free.

www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

the records I gave may not have much more info as they are early dates but you can buy credits to see the record itself and then print it off.
Scottish death certs in particular have a lot of info on them - parents / marriage / maiden name of mother etc.

A* is Ancestry.

Diddy

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 07 July 10 09:08 BST (UK) »
I cannot find a birth for Oliver on SP using spellcheck(various spellings) / anywhere / 1600 -1700!!

Diddy

Offline bamamom

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 07 July 10 16:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks for looking though!  I am going to pursue his father and grandfather...and then work forward...hopefully I can find a will that mentions him!

Thanks again! ;D

Offline CLittlejohn

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 29 May 17 14:50 BST (UK) »
I saw your looking into the Littlejohn family. My name is Casey Littlejohn, I am the direct descendant. I have accurate information on Oliver Littlejohn including documentation. I also have all information from my direct family going back several centuries.

Let me know, is like to help and if you are related to the Littlejohn blood line I'd like to connect.