Author Topic: Butterworth, Fitton, Porter in Royton  (Read 5175 times)

Offline barbiej

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Butterworth, Fitton, Porter in Royton
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 08 August 10 23:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Craggagh,
 Thanks for your reply.
 The  Butterworth in my tree was Mary Ann Butterworth, my great grandmother. (b.1851)who married Edmund Fitton in 1871.
 Mary Ann's parents were Richard Butterworth and Betty Cort.
This is all I have on that line. I hope that this may be a help to you.
barbiej

Offline craggagh

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 08 August 10 23:43 BST (UK) »
Hello -

Thanks very much for that - I'll look into it and see if there is any connection. If I can get anywhere, I'll let you know.

Thanks again.

craggagh.

Offline SirJohn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 24 January 15 01:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi ---
    I am from Christchurch, New Zealand and also new on here so hope I am getting everything right !

In the reply by Craggagh the name Edward Butterworth from Royton, Lancashire is mentioned. 
I have done quite a lot of work on this guy.  He did a "runner" from Royton in 1854, ended up in Christchurch in 1863 and died there in 1882.

He is definitely the same fellow and I have LOTS of other info on him if Craggagh or anyone is interested.

I know this is a long time after the original post so hope it is of some value.

Regards to all    :)

Offline craggagh

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 24 January 15 14:32 GMT (UK) »
Hello Bloodnok -

I would be most interested in any information you may have concerning Edward Butterworth. All I know is that he was a coal miner and is listed on the 1851 census as living in Edge Lane and aged 27.

craggagh.

Offline SirJohn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 25 January 15 02:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Craggagh ---

Thanks for response.  Please give me a few days to delve into my records and I will compose a "timeline" of information I have on our Edward.

Oh - I gave the wrong date of death - it was 1886 not 1882.   In fact 26th February 1886 to be precise.

A couple of quick snippets for you in the meantime.   His daughter Eliza Gartside from Royton was trying to contact him in 1911 - obviously she was unaware he had died many years earlier.   Possibly she was wanting to tell him his wife Sophie had died which would have been about that time.

He ended up as a railway "gatekeeper" in Christchurch

Kind Regards   John

Offline craggagh

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 25 January 15 19:03 GMT (UK) »
Hello Bloodnok -

According to the information I have, Sophia died on 30 December. 1905 and was buried on 4th January, 1906 at St Paul's, Royton.  The only child of Edward and Sophia that I am aware of was their daughter Eliza, who married Edmund Gartside in 1874 - I believe they had seven children.

Anything you can tell me about Edward would be of great interest, in particular why he went to New Zealand in the first place.

Thanks for your help.

craggagh.

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 28 March 19 11:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Barbiej,

Did you ever manage to figure out who are the parents of your great grandfather Edmund Fitton?
I have stumbled across this family while analysing DNA matches to try to knock down a brick wall behind my great grandfather who came from Oldham. My mysterious man goes by the name of Robert Webb when he first appears on a census in Northumberland in his 40s claiming to be from Oldham, but I am leaning towards the theory that one of his parents was a Fitton.

Lynda
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 31 March 19 16:06 BST (UK) »
In the early years of the 20th C there were Fittons  between Burnley and Todmorden  that may have had Royton links. There was a "Walter" , 2 Jan 1896, d circa 1967, certainly, and he may have had parents in Burnley.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)