Author Topic: McNamee Grave - what does it mean?  (Read 5093 times)

Offline GerryS

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McNamee Grave - what does it mean?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 07 July 10 07:18 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Thanks Colin and Aghadowey,
I had thought myself about Richard Elenor Nicholas  being one person but had dismissed that possibility in my mind. I should do some further research in order to rule out that possibility (look up parish and other records) - however I had originally thought (as Aghadowey notes) that at best the punctuation was arbitrary on this grave and Nicholas does not seem to be a family name that I am aware of in this area. Furthermore is Elenor, being a female name, likely to have been used? Or perhaps a family name which I am not aware of in Ireland? Also I would have thought to put an unmarried couples name on a memorial is unlikely in 1798?? Please correct me if I am wrong.
Your further comments are sought!!
Gerard
Smyth, Markey, Farrell & McNamee Meath
Newton, Beck, Tebbs & Watts Leicestershire
Hindley & Valentine Lancashire
GÜVENÇ, ÜNDEŞ, AKGÜL & TAŞ Istanbul Turkey

Offline Archivos

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Work is the curse of the drinking classes
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 07 July 10 09:48 BST (UK) »
Women were sometimes known by their maiden names even after marriage (or at least, it was common practice in Scotland).  It still happens today - a few of my friends are still known by their maiden names at work and their married names outside of work.

So they may not be unmarried if indeed that list of names is all one person.  And I assume 'in his minority' means he hadn't reached whatever age - 21 possibly, but could be still a child.

Offline GerryS

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 07 July 10 13:13 BST (UK) »
Hi all,
I have had a look at baptisms, marriages and deaths for Meath and Westmeath (Meath Heritage Centre Online) and I can rule out the possibility that Richard Elenor Nicholas is one person, this is definitely 3 different people. Basically there are no families Elenor in Meath/ Westmeath and so few Nicholas (later and likely Protestant rather than Catholic that this can be ruled out i.e. one in Meath in 1864). Compare with the McNamee's where although not a common name in Meath, there are 512 births including many Richard's, Eleanor's and Ellen's, Nicholas' and Judith's. And most of these during late 18th early 19th century are in Clonmellon and Kilskyre/ Ballinlough areas (the adjacent parish).
So I'm confident we are talking about 4 different McNamee's ... so back do my original question  :) Are Richard, Elenor, Nicholas and Judith likely to be brothers and sisters or extended family members or husbands and wives?
Thanks everybody
Gerard

Offline slam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 11 July 10 23:06 BST (UK) »
My guess, because I have no special knowledge, is they're not husbands and wives.  Just because usually that relationship tends to be spelt out,  'Richard and Elenor his wife'.  So I think they're brothers and sisters.  It's odd that there are two Nicholases though.  Alright, perhaps the four siblings bought a grave plot together, and then one died and was buried there and the survivors put up a stone to his memory...but why aren't the others there too?  Maybe they emigrated. 

You've probably seen this but there's a vague familysearch reference to a Richard McNamee of 'Castlekeeran,High Crosses, Kells, Meath, Ireland', b. 'about 1783'.  But when I looked for Castlekeeran on Google maps, though it's marked as a place name some 6 miles to the north-east of Clonmellon there seem only to be fields there now.

Offline GerryS

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 12 July 10 19:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Slam,
Thanks very much for that.
Yes its also my thinking that they are more likely to be a family group rather than husband and wives. I will follow up on baptisms, marriages and deaths in the area and see if it makes any sense!
I will follow up on the Castlekeeran lead as it is not too far from Clonmellon (about 5 miles N), although submitted unsourced from a LDS member, so to be treated with a degree a caution!
I still hope someone can throw some more light on this inscription.
Thanks
Gerard