Author Topic: Keavers in Co. Wicklow  (Read 12724 times)

Offline wicklow way

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Keavers in Co. Wicklow
« on: Wednesday 07 July 10 09:11 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I'm looking for some information on my gg grandmother Catherine Keavers, married to John Heffernan, Killadreenan (1911 census) and Killmacullagh (1901 census), Co. Wicklow. They married sometime around 1890 and had four children.

I believe Catherine was previously married to a James Sinnott and had two children (Bridget and James) from this marriage.

I have birth certs on Bridget, James and my g grandfather Michael but can find no other information in relation to where she married John or whom her parents were other than Katherine (her mother) as on the 1901 census.

Any help would be much appreciated

Wicklow way

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Keavers in Co. Wicklow
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 07 July 10 10:29 BST (UK) »
Some of the answers to your questions are in the census records you've already found.
1911 census- Catherine born c1866 (so just after civil registration of births if age given is correct- see 1901 though) married to John c1890.
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Wicklow/Newcastle_Lower/Killadreenan_Town/896921/

1901 census- Kilmacullagh- Katherin's birthdate now works out at c1861 so there might not be a birth certificate
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Wicklow/Newcastle_Upper/Kilmacullagh/1815976/
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline wicklow way

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 09 July 10 09:05 BST (UK) »
Hi aghadowey,

Thank you for your help. I have been using the IFHF site and Familysearch and have had no luck trying to get a close match for Catherine.

If I am correct, the birth cert I have for my gg grandfather John would have him baptised in the Carnew area. I wondered would it be possible that Catherine or her parents were not from the Wicklow area!.

I have been unable to find a match for Catherines birth or indeed a marriage between Catherine and John!

If i were to go to the National Library, i wouldn't know where to start as i dont know what parish to search in.

Some guidance would be much appreciated

Wicklow way

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 09 July 10 10:08 BST (UK) »
1) ....I have been using the IFHF site and Familysearch and have had no luck trying to get a close match for Catherine.....

2) If I am correct, the birth cert I have for my gg grandfather John would have him baptised in the Carnew area. I wondered would it be possible that Catherine or her parents were not from the Wicklow area!.

3) I have been unable to find a match for ....a marriage between Catherine and John!

4) If i were to go to the National Library, i wouldn't know where to start as i dont know what parish to search in.

1) The familysearch BMD index only has births from the start of Civil registration in 1864 , so if Catherine was born  in 1861, as the 1901 census suggests, then there will be no registration. There are several RC parish that dont have old records, so it's worth checking first that the records exists for the area the family lived (or where the baptism or marriage took place) and are also included in the IFHF sources.

2) Where was this John born - and where did his parents live at the time ?  Both census returns state that Catherine was born in Co. Wicklow..

3) It's worth widening the possible dates for the marriage in case the census info is slightly out, and also trying various different spellings of their family and first names in case there is a problem with those.

4) see RC Parishes, Co. Wicklow  (Irish Times)

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 09 July 10 10:43 BST (UK) »
Both the locations listed for the family on the census returns are near to the town of Kilcoole and in the RC Parish of Kilquade. see google map : Kilcoole, Kilmacullagh & Killadrennan

Records for this parish go back to about 1826 for marriages and baptisms and are on microfilm Pos. 6478 in the NLI. The IFHF list of sources mentions baptisms for this parish, but it's possible that they dont have all the details. (Sections of some registers can be very difficult to read and may not have been transcribed - or were transcribed incorrectly)

Details of records available for the  RC Parish of Kilquade  (Irish Times)

Townlands in the Civil Parish of Newcastle Upper  (includes Kilmacullagh)

Townlands in the Civil Parish of Newcastle Lower (includes Killadreenan)

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline wicklow way

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 09 July 10 14:44 BST (UK) »
Hi shanew147

Thank you very much for all your help!

As I'm only new to researching my family there is so much i have to learn.  :)
The area I'm searching for is in the parish of Kilquade. While i have found birth certs for some of Catherines children there are no matches for either of her marriages to John Heffernan or James Sinnott in this parish.
It just may be possible that not all of the records for this parish are on the IFHF site.

The baptism cert i have for John Heffernan 02/05/1860 shows that his parents, James Heffernan and Mary Elliot lived in Coolroe, Carnew, Co. Wicklow.

I'll start the search again and widen the time frame and try different spellings of names etc... If that fails to show up anything I'll use that microfilm Pos.6478 and go check it out in the NLI.

Much appreciated

Wicklow way

Offline brennan1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 22 July 10 16:33 BST (UK) »
Hi, this might help

Marriage:

Catherine Synnott/ John Heffernan  district: Rathdrum/ date : Jan - Mar 1895,
Volume: 2,  Page: 873

Moderator's Comment: see Irish civil registration index-
http://search.labs.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=collectionDetails&c=fs%3A1408347

Offline wicklow way

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 23 July 10 08:53 BST (UK) »
Hi brennan1,

Thank you very much for that information. I suppose when you spend alot of time looking for a particular person,  ??? the information on them can be staring you in the face and you just can't see it :)

Thanks again

Wicklow way

Offline brennan1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 03 August 10 00:10 BST (UK) »
I am also looking at this family. Kate/ Katherine Keavers is my great grandmother but through her first marrige. I have a little more info about the Heffernans if you require it
Regards