Author Topic: Lawrence - Coleraine, Londonderry  (Read 30484 times)

Offline bnl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Lawrence - Coleraine, Londonderry
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 21 July 10 09:04 BST (UK) »
The detailed genealogy of the male-line would have been supplied by the researcher to Alexander Lawrence's grandson, who was the unofficial family historian at the time, and he would have stored it away safely. It is a long story but, unfortunately, when that grandson died, the person who inherited his property did not know (or care) what all the documents were and so destroyed them!!!!  I am therefore at square one.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 21 July 10 09:07 BST (UK) »
Is the professional researcher (or his descendants) still in business ?

Maybe they still have some records..

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline bnl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 21 July 10 09:26 BST (UK) »
No, he died about 8 years ago. I have been in contact with his son and also the person who took over a lot of his documentation but neither have been unable to find anything on it.

Offline cyclamen

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 21 July 10 22:00 BST (UK) »
The 1831 Census shows these Lawrences living in Coleraine

Hanover Place
John Lawrence   Number of house 60      1 family
1 male      1 female servant
Total in house 2
1 R.C.    1 Pres

Samuel Lawrence     Number of house 76     1 family
2 male   2 female    2 female servants
Total in house 6
6 Pres

Bridge Street   
Lawrence     Number of house 25    1 family
4 male    3 female   
Total in house 7
7 R.C.

Meeting House Lane
Wm W Lawrence      Number of house 101    1 family
3 male    4 female     1 male servant  1 female servant
Total in house 9
9 Pres

New Row
Ann Lawrence    Number of house 325     1 family
1 male   5 female     2 female servants   
Total in house 8
8 Pres

Moody, Patton, Hemphill, Haslett, Hopkins, Simpson, Fleming,Walker. Co Londonderry
Simpson, Moody Co Armagh
Walker Co Tyrone, Co Donegal and Dublin

Offline ray707r

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 25 October 10 11:01 BST (UK) »
I have just come across this posting and have some information that might be useful.

William Gregory Lawrence was secretary of Vernon Nasonic Lodge No. 127 in Coleraine in 1866.
Alexander Major Lawrence was WM in 1869 and secretary from 1871-1874.
I will see if we still have their addresses at that time as some of the early books are missing.

Offline JGarvin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 04 March 11 06:25 GMT (UK) »
There is a short article on the Lawrence family in the Northern Constitution 5 Jan 1918.
Garvin of Castledawson; Packman of Faversham, Kent

Offline Barcus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 06 March 11 00:39 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

Think I may have a lead for you. I've been looking at Hugh and Brown Lawrence. Have found Baptismal Records for them on RootsIreland.ie. Unfortunately, nothing for Alexander, but am sure this is the same family - the names match up with those for emigration to the Cape.

Parent for Hugh and Brown(e) are James Lawrence and Elizabeth Browne. They were Presbytarians from Killyfaddy County Derry, parish name: FIRST MAGHERAFELT. Hugh was born/baptised 22 May 1835, Browne 11 November 1839.

Brown Lawrence was a successful businessman and benefactor at the Cape. See: http://sites.google.com/site/sheldonza/south-african-sheldons/annie-lawrence-nee-sheldon . My great grandmother said he was known to the family as "Lal". My relative, Eleanor Frances Cornwell married Hugh.

Hope this helps.
Searching for information about PRATT family of Pampisford, Cambridgeshire; SHEMELD/GREAVES family of Sheffield, Yorkshire; HARRISON family of London

Offline bnl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 12 March 11 08:15 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the information on Brown Lawrence and Annie Lawrence. Some information I have been given on Brown Lawrence is -

Brown LAWRENCE, from County Derry, Occupation ...Farm Labourer, age 19 (arrived in Cape Town in May 1860) which was date of his arrival aboard the ship "Wellington". His destination on arrival was a Mr McGibbon, Cape Town.

Brown LAWRENCE married Margaret McCALLUM age 19, occupation...Hat trimmer and cap maker...daughter of Samuel McCallum age 51 (arrived in Cape Town in July 1861). The McCallum family arrived on the "Sedgemoor 11". Their destination was to an Alexander McCallum in Capetown who had arrived in September 1858 aboard the "Edward Oliver".

Margaret LAWRENCE (nee McCALLUM), wife of Brown LAWRENCE died in 1867 in Cape Town. So Annie was his second wife.

A number of LAWRENCE's gave Brown LAWRENCE as their destination address and this seems to indicate a "mass migration" of the LAWRENCE clan. Perhaps this was a delayed reaction to the Potato Famine in Ireland.
Other LAWRENCE"s with arrival dates between May 1860 and January 1865 are -
Hugh  29
Eliza 37
James R (Jonathon) 3
David 1
Catherine Ann 22

Let me know if you come across a connection to Alexander.

Offline Barcus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 12 March 11 20:25 GMT (UK) »
Do you think Brown Lawrence married twice? I feel pretty certain about the Annie Sheldon connection. The Lawrences were philanthropists - there is an aged care home in Cape Town that it is still called the Brown and Annie Lawrence home. Unfortunately, they don't appear to have had any children. My great grandmother told my father about them. Apparently, they also supported work relating to the support of unmarried coloured women.

I think I've found a connection between Brown Lawrence and a Richardson Cathcart.  I have records for an Elizabeth Brown marrying Lawrence, then an Elizabeth Lawrence/Brown marrying Cathcart. It's all in the same area of Derry. I believe Brown and Richardson to be half brothers. Can't provide further details at the moment - am caught up in Christchurch NZ with earthquake woes and am staying with friends. Will need to wait a week or so to look at my paperwork should you want to know more.

Have a subscription to Ancestry24, which is a site for SA genealogy. No luck with Alexander there. Also looked on NAAIRS database. :P
Searching for information about PRATT family of Pampisford, Cambridgeshire; SHEMELD/GREAVES family of Sheffield, Yorkshire; HARRISON family of London