Author Topic: Lawrence - Coleraine, Londonderry  (Read 30563 times)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Lawrence - Coleraine, Londonderry
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 10 July 10 12:10 BST (UK) »
If this particular  Lawrence family had a coat of arms, then I believe  details should be included in the Register of Arms, in either
the Dublin -  Office of the Chief Herald FAQs  (National Library) or College of Arms, London

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline cyclamen

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 10 July 10 18:59 BST (UK) »
T1190/2 in PRONI is a detailed pedigree of the Lawrence Family of Coleraine which was compiled by Major H Lawrence in 1908.
ARMS
Coat; Argent, a cross ragully gules, on a chief azure a lion passant of the first.
Crest: The tail and lower part of a fish erect and couped ppr.
Motto: Qui Pense

I can see on the pedigree a Captain Samuel Lawrence of Scottish Rifles b 9 July 1868 d 18th April 1900, in South Africa m 23 Nov 1897, Dorothy, dau of John Snelgrove, of London, who re-m 1st Nov 1906, Hervey Major Lawrence

I have an interest in the Lawrence family but will have to hunt out the relevant information. If you wish you can contact me through the PM system.
Moody, Patton, Hemphill, Haslett, Hopkins, Simpson, Fleming,Walker. Co Londonderry
Simpson, Moody Co Armagh
Walker Co Tyrone, Co Donegal and Dublin

Offline biffdog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 12 July 10 14:22 BST (UK) »
hello - my dad's name is William Lawrence - he was born on XXXX and was originally from Ballylagan.  I never met any of his relatives until yesterday when his cousin XXXX visited him in hospital.  My dad has dementia and has recently had two strokes.  He has never spoken about his family and I do not even know where his parents are buried but I think their (unmarked) grave is at Ballylagan.  I have no idea why he keep his family history a secret from me and my brother but I would like to find the grave and to put up a headstone before my father himself passes away.

I would be grateful if anyone has any information regarding the Lawrence family

Moderator's Comment: Names of living people aren't allowed to be posted on Rootschat so some details have been removed from this post. If anyone can fill in more recent family details it would be best done by PM (personal message) rather than online.

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 12 July 10 17:19 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat. I've removed some details of living people as it's against the rules to post such information. I know your father's cousin and since I have a funeral in Ballylaggan tomorrow might get speaking to him there. After you've made 3 posts you can send me a PM (personal message) and I might be able to fill in some family details for you.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline biffdog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 12 July 10 18:57 BST (UK) »
how do I send you a personal message - do you have an email I can use?

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 12 July 10 19:04 BST (UK) »
After you've made 1 more post you'll see little green scrolls under the usernames- click on it, type message and press send- only you and that person will see the message.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline biffdog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 12 July 10 19:12 BST (UK) »
thank you so much

Offline bnl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 21 July 10 04:50 BST (UK) »
The Lawrence coat of arms I have is mentioned in both "The General Armory of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales by Bernard Burke - 1884" and in "The British Herald, or Cabinet of armorial bearings of nobility by Thomas Robson - 1830" (as an English coat of arms).
It was researched by a registered heraldic researcher in South Africa and is almost identical to the St.Lawrence/Lord Howth coat of arms.
I do not have access the Office of the Chief Herald in Dublin or the College of Arms in London to check whether the coat of arms is included in their Register of Arms.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 21 July 10 08:22 BST (UK) »
The reason I mentioned the Office of Herald it that for them to grant use of the coat of arms, they would have required a detailed genealogy connecting the the male-line of the applicant back to the original grantee of the arms.  These details should have been made available to the family at the time by the researcher working for your family. It might be worth checking if someone in your family has these detail to save you carrying out the same Lawrence research again.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests