Author Topic: Is it Bridget or is it Bedelia!  (Read 3691 times)

Offline sylvia

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Is it Bridget or is it Bedelia!
« on: Sunday 23 May 04 03:19 BST (UK) »
I must say our ancestors make life very difficult for us at times.
 On my grandmothers Marriage cert, her name is Bedelia Elizabeth Delaney.The same on her death cert.
But alas I cant seem to find a birth for Bedelia Elizabeth in her family.I do know I have the right family for hers.The only birth to fit her birth  is a Bridget.I am 98 per cent sure Bedelia and Bridget  are one and the same !But how can I be certain. ???
I never met my grandmother as she died before I was born :'( and I dont ever remember my mother talking about her as anyone but Bedelia.  In the 1891 census its Bridget.No bedelia.I cant even find her as Bridget or Bedelia in the 1901 census.She had to be somewhere but I cant find her.(Come on Grandma give up your secrets).If she did change her name did she do it legally or just changed it.Is there anyway to find out.?
Bridget was born in 1881 and that year fits Bedelia's Marriage in 1904 aged 22.
 Has anyone got any advice to hand me :D.
              HELP,HELP
                        Sylvia.
Delaney and cooks of  and Bilston,staffordshire.
Cook.Cartwright.of Sedgley .
Edwards,Evans,Lawley of Kidderminster and W,Ton
Jeavons.Herobin.Wolverhampton,Staffordshire.
Churchills,Pearsall,Evans.Johnsons,
 of Dudley Worcestershire.and Staffs.

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re:Is it Bridget or is it Bedelia!
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 May 04 08:21 BST (UK) »
Could you find who was living at the 1904 marriage address at the 1901 census?

Is it possible to work out which school Bedelia/Bridget may have gone to to see if there is a record of her there?

Baptismal record?. Could one be a birth name, one a  baptismal, and she just used the one she liked best?

Electoral rolls- (for her later life). Did she use one on official documents and another in general life?

All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline sylvia

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 23 May 04 11:09 BST (UK) »
Well Pauline you try to come to my rescue once again.THANKS.
I think I know why she would come up with the name Elizabeth as she had a sister Elizabeth that died in 1889 aged 16, so she probably took her name as a sort of rememberance to her sis.Maybe at the same time she thought she would go the whole hog and get rid of Bridget as well.And of cause when she got married  she got rid of Delaney and a new woman born.From Bridget Delaney to Bedelia Elizabeth Cook.  :-\ (what on earth was she hiding) her christening should not be to hard to find as I think she was christened at the same church she was married at.Of cause all this can only be done when I mannage to pay a visit to England In the not to distant future.Is there a way to check the electeral rolls in Aussie.I dont know what school she went to but that should not be to hard to find either.After she got married she only had the one address which was 1 Wards building.in Bilston untill the day she died.I think that the best bet might be the christening see what I can come up with there.
I even searched Ireland for her but no luck except 10 years out .and the wrong family.My mother always said she had an Irish accent so I thought well maybe she was born in Ireland .Mind you she would have an irish accent living in a house full of Paddies ;D
 Anyway Pauline I will try some of your ideas and hope I can come up with something.
                           Thanks once again for your much appreciated advice.
                                 Sylvia.

Offline Gardener

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 23 May 04 11:35 BST (UK) »
Hi. Thought you needed some sympathy on this one. I have the same trouble with my gtgrandmother. She was baptised Ellen and married under that name. Then she uses Frances for the next census and by the time she had children and on her death certificate she was Mary Adelizer Frances Ellen - fair trips off the tongue that one! My mother could think of no reason for the change (and her granny lived with her and told her all sorts of other stuff) so it is a big mystery. I think it was just the result of reading too many novels from the library myself. I was lucky that she at least kept her baptismal name and wish you all the best with your puzzle!
Rose (Black Country),Downs (Black Country),Wolloxall (any and all),Bark (Derbyshire),Wright (Derbyshire),Marsden (Derbyshire), Wallace (Black Country)

All census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 23 May 04 11:37 BST (UK) »
Try sticking in a URL like www.bilston.gov.uk, which usually throws up info on local history resources. I have certainly seen helpful info on www.walsall.gov.uk for my elusive ancestors.

Good luck.
Pauline
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline sylvia

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 24 May 04 02:19 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the words of encouragment .I will eventually get to the bottom of of the puzzle if its the last thing I do.I now have to go and face the dentist chair :'( so bye for now. Sylvia :-*