Author Topic: Foster Families of Iden and Winchelsea  (Read 1925 times)

Offline DeeWhy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Foster Families of Iden and Winchelsea
« on: Thursday 08 July 10 03:44 BST (UK) »
My 3rd Great Grandfather Richard Foster was born in Iden, Sussex in 1780 and Christened 13 Aug 1780. His parents were Richard Foster and Ann (nee Dieatt). He married Jane Foster daughter of Thomas Foster and Mary (nee Weston) at Winchelsea 10 March 1803 and died in Gibraltar between 1810 and 1820. According to family records Richard and Jane's son, Thomas, (my 2nd Great Grandfather who came to Australia in 1838) was educated at the Masonic School for Boys at Winchelsea after his father, Richard, died in Gibraltar. I have been unsuccessful in locating any details of his death in Gibraltar and was wondering if there was any reference to same in local documents. Any further info on the family would be much appreciated.

Peter

Offline miegunyah

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Foster Families of Iden and Winchelsea
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 19 December 18 11:11 GMT (UK) »
Peter, My great grandfather is George Foster, who I believe is/maybe the younger brother to the Richard Foster who was a mariner and is buried in Gibraltar. George was born in New Romney in about 1827.  George had a half brother John.  Both were in the merchant navy, both came to Australia John in 1842, George some time later.  I've been researching this family.  Do you live in Australia?  I live in Brisbane Queensland and would like to correspond with you about the Foster family.  (*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.
Looking forward to making contact, Pam Jarrett

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 19 December 18 11:18 GMT (UK) »
Just a little reminder - email addresses may be removed (spam etc) by the mods but when you have made a couple more posts you can use the private message facility which will enable you to pass information e mails etc away from the public boards

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DeeWhy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 20 December 18 04:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pam,
Thanks for your response. I'm sorry I don't have any record of a George Foster born in New Romney, Kent, England about 1827 or any other Fosters originating there for that matter. My Richard Foster was born in 1780 which was 47 years earlier, rather unlikely to be a younger brother also as Richard's father Richard died in 1784 in Iden, Sussex.
However it is interesting to note that your Richard Foster was a mariner and is buried in Gibraltar. Do you have any records of his birth and death details?
I have, in my records, a Frederick Edwin Foster who died in Brisbane on 16 Dec 1930, are you possibly related to him? He and his immediate family lived in the Rous Mill and Lismore area in  NSW.
Yes I also live in Australia, in Sydney, my email address is
(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.
. Look forward to hearing from you.
Peter

Offline miegunyah

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 20 December 18 05:20 GMT (UK) »
Peter,  There are a number of coincidences here which I would like to tease out.  Shortly I will concise what I have and see what is common to both our families.  Regards Pam

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 20 December 18 10:25 GMT (UK) »
Peter and Pam,

Please note the guidance from Suzard regarding posting your email addresses publicly.

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline PetraTimmermann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 01 July 19 07:19 BST (UK) »
Hi there, I too have Thomas Foster d. Gibraltar, after marrying Mary in Winchelsea in my family tree. Their son Thomas Foster did immigrate to Australia with his wife Jane and young children. I don't know of a George but my information is scant at the earlier end of things, however they were definitely residents of the East Sussex area.

I have no concrete details about Thomas's death in Gibraltar, but this was not long after the Battle of Trafalgar and about the time that England and Spain became allies. There is a Trafalgar cemetery in Gibraltar where Admiral Nelson was buried so I would imagine there were many British mariners there around that time..?

And I wanted to confirm that many of the Foster family moved north from the Maitland area to the Northern Rivers, mainly Rous Mill and surrounds. So Frederick Edwin Foster (1871-1930) is the grandson of Thomas Foster, through his son Peter, who is my connection.

I have no idea if any of this is of use but it it definitely interesting!

Petra

Offline PetraTimmermann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 01 July 19 07:40 BST (UK) »
Apologies, I meant Richard Foster d. Gibraltar!