Author Topic: James Wilson, 1835  (Read 2098 times)

Offline clematis11

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Wilson, 1835
« on: Thursday 08 July 10 08:35 BST (UK) »
I am wondering if you can help me at all. I am researching James Wilson born 1835, Ayreshire, Scotland. I am not sure of his parents at this stage but would love to know who they are.  I know James Wilson went to Australia and married May 3rd, 1863 in Queensland. He and his wife, Bridget (Drennan), formerly of Ireland, went to New Zealand between 1863 and 1868 when his first son (James Wilson) was born in Central Otago, New Zealand. It been very hard finding the right Wilson family in Ayreshire. If you can help or point me in the right condition, I would be very grateful

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James Wilson, 1835
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 July 10 08:47 BST (UK) »
Hi  :)

A bit of a problem here as it is a fairly common name (I know from personal experience ! ). On the 1841 census, there are 9 born in 1835 in Ayrshire, 8 in 1834 and 5 in 1836.

Do you have a death cert with a parent's name on or maybe his children's names in date order?

I'll see if he's on any of the emigrant lists but I'm not very hopeful of finding him.

Regards

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline clematis11

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 08 July 10 09:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your help - its is hard with the surname Wilson.  I have no details for his parents sorry. James and Bridget Wilson had 7 children born in New Zealand. James born 1868, Thomas born 1873, Mary Ann born 1874, Jean born 1874, Robert born 1875, Joseph born 1880, Elizabeth born 1882. I have some good information on the New Zealand ones but sure struggling with the Scotland ones. Have tried Scotland people but still cannot be sure.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 08 July 10 12:46 BST (UK) »
Hi again

I've been looking for a father James and mother Jean/Jane - I've found a possible with a mother Janet but no real evidence. Do you have Bridget's parents' names?

Also, hat occupation was James?

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 08 July 10 13:23 BST (UK) »

I know that the later  Australian death certs give parents'names but I wasn't sure about NZ ones - now I see that they do also:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,259108.0.html

You don't say if you know where/when he died but I really think that a death cert would be the best way to go.

This site should have him if he died in NZ:

https://www.bdmhistoricalrecords.dia.govt.nz/Search/Search.aspx?Path=%2FqueryEntry.m%3Ftype%3Ddeaths

I got up a full page.

Gadget

Offline clematis11

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 08 July 10 21:09 BST (UK) »
Its very interesting that you should mention Jean Wilson?.  Jean was a daughter of James and Bridget Wilson, born New Zealand but apparently went to Australia. Nothing is known of her and I would love to find out more about here.  I don't know the names of James Wilson's parents as yet. 

Offline clematis11

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 08 July 10 21:14 BST (UK) »
I forgot to say that James Wilson was a farmer in New Zealand.

I did not know that parents names were on the NZ death records but that's sure worth looking at, will enquire furthur.  James Wilson died 15 oct 1919, Clyde, Central Otago, NZ and is buried in Clyde cemetery - have checked out the records and seen the grave.

Sue

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 08 July 10 22:03 BST (UK) »
Hi

Three are showing for 1919 on the site that I linked to. I think that your James Wilson is the middle one, aged 84.

Gadget

Offline clematis11

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 09 July 10 00:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Gadget
Yes, I have the record thanks, just rang Internal Affairs and am ordering his death certificate as it does have parents names on it as you have said.  I have not needed to order any NZ ones for genealogy so did not know this. Thanks