Author Topic: Dreher family - Derby  (Read 6165 times)

Offline greyingrey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dreher family - Derby
« Reply #9 on: Friday 03 July 15 11:53 BST (UK) »
I will get back to the two posters here individually, but I shall be rather short of time over the next few days, so I'm just posting here so that they know I'm still on the case, as I haven't really investigated the Drehers sideways....have just looked at Christian. My mother has confirmed that the Salford relatives were Drehers. One of Christian's sons became a pork butcher, but then he married a pork butcher's daughter & Christian's best friend in Nottingham was a German pork butcher. Mmmmmm......

I've always wondered why Christian & his wife left their adult children & Christian's brothers behind in Liverpool & moved to Nottm (apart from the football). Nottm had, in fact, a thriving & growing German community working in the lace factories, so maybe he thought there would be new opportunities for his family....maybe as told to him by his relative, John, in Derby. If we could only find them in the German records, we'd be able to find out if they were related.

Offline Sharon Dreher

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dreher family - Derby
« Reply #10 on: Monday 18 April 22 23:08 BST (UK) »
I am Kevin Dreher's daughter as mentioned above by Steve Dolman. He was born in Derby and suffered extreme poverty. The family would never tell us why they left Bavaria.