Author Topic: Edward J. Gittins parents in Cleobury Mortimer, Shropshire  (Read 4012 times)

Offline Oldleaf

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Edward J. Gittins parents in Cleobury Mortimer, Shropshire
« on: Friday 09 July 10 03:55 BST (UK) »
Am trying to find the name of the mother of Edward James Gittins (Gittens). He was b. 1822 Cleobury Mortimer, Shropshire (CMS). His marriage certificate of 1845 in CMS showed his father as William. The census' of CMS for 1841, 1851, and 1861 had a William Gittins b. 1793 and wife Elizabeth b. 1799, both b. in CMS. Neither William or Elizabeth were in the 1871 census so must have died there between the census of 1861 and 1871.
I need some look-up help: likely in the parish or church records on the birth date and baptism of Edward James, Elizabeth's maiden name and when William and Elizabeth may have died. I have the death cert. on Edward James Gittins, 1886 CMS.
From across the pond in Illinois, USA, with sincere appreciation for any help

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Edward J. Gittins parents in Cleobury Mortimer, Shropshire
« Reply #1 on: Friday 09 July 10 11:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Oldleaf

The familysearch pilot site shows Edward baptised 14/5/1820 Cleobury Mortimer to William and Elizabeth.   Also, William Gittons married Elizabeth Bishop 8/2/1819 Cleobury Mortimer.

Other children born to William and Elizabeth are:

Sarah bp.13/1/1822
Margaret bp.7/4/1824
William bp.28/5/1826
Caroline bp.16/2/1830
George bp.16/12/1832
Betsey bp.22/3/1835
Mary Anne bp.10/9/1837
Walter bp.11/10/1840           All at Cleobury Mortimer.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Oldleaf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 July 10 19:58 BST (UK) »
Annette,
Great new information!! Many Thanks. Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I rechecked the census. I have William and Elizabeth (Bishop) in the 1841, 1851 and 1861 census for C.M. Shrop. I found William, wid. in 1871 C.M. Shrop with his dau. Caroline. Based on the death indexes, it looks like William d. 4Q 1875 and Elizabeth d. 4Q 1869, both d. in C.M.Shrop. I will send for their death certs. The census for 1851 and 1861 had another child of William and Elizabeth: Edwin b. 1843/1844. So, it looks like my Edward James Gittens was the oldest child.
I have checked the census in the C.M. Shrop area for 1841 and it looks like there weren't any Bishop's old enough to be the parents of Elizabeth (b. 1799+/-)... where the mother would have been born 1760+/- to 1780+/-, or 60 to 80 years old in 1841. If Elizabeth was b. 1799 in C.M. Shrop, maybe there is a parish or church record on her parents. Same for William Gittens b. 1793 in C.M. Shrop.
After a couple of years of looking at the on-line records it appears child mortality was really high, and there were a lot of illegitimate babies in merry old England back in those days.  I saw "base child" a few times. What is that? Does it mean "first born"?
The marriage cert. of Edward Gittins and Mary Mantle showed Residence at Time of Marriage of Ma_le_town. The blanks look almost like a "y" but the loop below the line is on the backside. This letter also looks almost the same as the Y in Cleobury, month of May, and Mary. I assume it is a y. Is there, or was there, a "Mayleytown" somewhere near Cleobury Mortimer?
Oldleaf

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 13 July 10 22:00 BST (UK) »
As I mentioned previously, Cleobury Mortimer parish records are on the familysearch pilot site (free) and go back to 1600's.

Surname varies in spelling between Gittins, Gittons, Gittens, Gittings but clearly the same families.

William Gittons bp.22/8/1792 - 9 siblings also baptised which I'll leave you to find - parents were Edward Gittins and Margaret Hotchkiss married 16/10/1780.   Edward was the son of a John and Susan bp.4/6/1759 (can't see an obvious marriage for them).   Just one other child baptised there - Susanna in 1751.

As to Elizabeth Bishop - bp.31/12/1797, dau. of John and  Hannah - 3 siblings also.

Although I viewed these on the familysearch pilot site which is more up to date they are also on the IGI on the main familysearch.org site.   They have been on the IGI for a long time so can't understand how you haven't viewed Cleobury Mortimer records before.

'Base' is simply another word for illegitimate.   My preferred expression for such is those 'born the wrong side of the blanket'.

Cleobury Mortimer is a small market town - poplutation then and now only around 2000.   The word you can't read would have been the name of the road or dwelling that they were residing in, not another place.

If you google Cleobury Mortimer you can see what I mean.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Oldleaf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 24 July 10 23:12 BST (UK) »
Annette,
Sorry to get back to you so slowly. I have been spending days and days on familysearchpilot finding all sorts of lines. I have been putting down surname family groups going way back in time, for each of the towns very near Cleobury Morimer (Neen Savage, Neen Sollars, Milton, Hopton Wafers, Kinlet, and Bayton, Worcestershire): noting births (christenings) under each set of parents, marriages, and deaths. Then, it is a matter of detective work and logic to find the right persons. I hadn't looked at the LDS stuff in years and didn't know they had the pilot info on line. Its a real gold mine of info. Besides on the Gittins side I have been doing the same on the Mantle side. You might check my inquiry and correspondence with Z on surname Mantle.
On my Philpott side in Dover and Deal, Kent, I found two possible parents for my Charles Philpott, b. 1775+/_  (1775 per census and death cert.) in Canterbury: either the son b. 1776 of Stephen Philpott and Mary ______ , or the "Base born" b. 1774 of Mary Philpott.  Glad you told me what "base" meant.
If you are interested in these lines I will provide you with the main findings for each step in the tree: the parents and dates for: births, marriages, and deaths, and the children of the parents. Let me know....
Finally, you are right about the spelling of surnames. When people couldn't read or write, the census takers spelled phonetically. It was worse in America when the immigrants also couldn't even speak English....
Oldleaf

Offline octjema

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 11 March 12 22:00 GMT (UK) »
I just joined, found your query's and am researching the same Edward Gittens.  His daughter, Emily (Emma) is my great great grandmother.  I have a number of pictures and partial information on both Edward and his wife Mary Jane(Mantel) such as their remembrance cards.  Edward died Jan 11, 1886 and according to this card, is buried in Mawley Cemetery.  I can't seem to locate this cemetery.  I also have a picture of a church with writting that says "This is the church I go to -here father is buried."  The inscription below the picture says "Llanbaddock Church". I can't find this church.  There is a church in Bayton, Worcestershire that looks similar and he lived in Bayton in 1881.

You also mentioned a Charles Philpott. My great great grandfather was John Francis Philpott.  He came from Deal, Kent, England.  He was a stone mason.  The family came to the states in the late 1880's where they lived in Denver, CO and are buried there in Fairmont Cemetery.

Would love to hear from you.