Author Topic: Baptism and burial dates don't match up  (Read 3045 times)

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Baptism and burial dates don't match up
« on: Friday 09 July 10 19:18 BST (UK) »
I am researching a John and Mary HALL. They married early in 1851.

It appears from the parish register that they had a son Herbert that same year:
Herbert Hall son of John & Mary, Confectioner, bap. 6/12/1851, Southwell St. Mary

He appears to have died
Herbert Hall, age 8d, bur. 13/11/1851, Southwell St. Mary

I know he must have died because they had another son Herbert Roe HALL in 1854 (found on the census).

But I can find no birth or death entry in the bmd indexes, and the baptism date comes after the burial date. That can't be right. What have I got wrong?

Thanks,
Alexander

Offline Plummiegirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me, Dad, Granddad & G/gran
    • View Profile
Re: Baptism and burial dates don't match up
« Reply #1 on: Friday 09 July 10 19:31 BST (UK) »
It is possible that Herbert & Herbert Roe are the same child.

They may have lied about his age when the enumerator came round to take their details to hide the fact that they he was conceived prior to their marriage.

My g/grandfather when filling out 1911 put down that they had been married for 9 years (which is correct) but I am assuming that the crossing out and putting in of 16 years, was at my g/grandmothers behest, to cover the fact that their eldest daughter was born long before the met or married.

It is also quite common for a child to be registered John, baptised Albert and know all his life as Harry.  I have several instances of this in my family.  You can spend ages looking for all 3 sons born same year (oh great triplets) only to eventually realise that they are all the same boy  ;)
Fleming (Bristol) Fowler/Brain (Battersea/Bristol)    Simpson (Fulham/Clapham)  Harrison (W.London, Fulham, Clapham)  Earl & Butler  (Dublin,New Ross: Ireland)  Humphrey (All over mainly London) Hill (Reigate, Bletchingly, Redhill: Surrey)
Sell (Herts/Essex/W. London)

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 09 July 10 19:43 BST (UK) »
Thanks Plummiegirl,

The problem is that Herbert Roe Hall was baptised in 1854 at the Southwell Wesleyan church, with his birthdate being recorded as 25 Jan 1854. So he couldn't be the same one as baptised in 1851.

John & Mary also repeated names with other children. They had two Anne Marys for example, after the first died.

The lack of a birth/death registration does not bother me so much (I have several instances in my tree around 1848-1851 particularly where births were not registered). I'm more confused about the baptism/burial dates and how they cannot line up.

Alexander

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 09 July 10 19:56 BST (UK) »
Have you seen an image of the parish register or a transcript? Are the baptism & burial dates in the correct sequence of dates in the register? I would supect that the baptism was in November OR the burial in December. It could have been an error by the clerk.

Do you have the parents names from the register of the Herbert Hall buried 1851?

Josey

Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline cire

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 09 July 10 20:00 BST (UK) »
Could it just be that there is a mistake in the date in the register. If he was 8 days old when buried, he would have been born on the 6th, and if a sickly baby could have been baptised on the same day.
I see as I set to post this that Josey has a similar idea.
Eric
Beeston, Whithead & Towle
Allesley, Bloxham from c. 1815
Foleshill, Gee (Jee) Adams Millerchip
Burton Dassett, Bloxham to c. 1815

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 09 July 10 20:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks Josey & Eric,

The dates come from a transcript. Will have to check the register when I get the chance. I think it is a mistake as you say Josey, that either the baptism in Nov was supposed to be Dec, or the Dec burial was actually Nov. I was quite confused at first but now it just looks like an error - either in the original or transcript.

Unfortunately the burial doesn't specify parents' names, but I think it is the same Herbert.

Thanks,
Alexander

Offline Cal241

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • does my butt look big in this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 09 July 10 22:10 BST (UK) »
Hi
I have been hunting a round the registers... There is no death for  a Herbert Hall I can see in Dec Q 1851!

There is a Herbert Edward Hall death for Shardlow ?? XIX 385 (19 385).

Also in Sept 1851 there is a birth for a Herbert Hall in Belpher XIX 491 (19 491)

It maybe that you may have to bite the bullet and request death certs!!

cal 8)
UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk                Bigg-Sheppey/West Ham<br />Dodd - Cheshire <br />Ingram - Dorset, London, Morlaix, Australia, California<br />Kerfoot - Warrington, Pemberton, St Asaph<br />McKinneley - N Ireland, Liverpool <br />Marshall - Midlothian, Cheshire<br />Morrish-Chelsea<br />Shiel - Melrose<br />Woodhall- Liverpool, Shropshire/Staffordshire<br />Dagliesh- Melrose<br />Stevenson - Melrose<br />Smith & Jones! Scotland & Wales

Offline sunflower

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 14 July 10 17:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Alexander

The transcript you were looking at was wrong.
The original records give this date

Herbert Hall was buried 13 Dec 1851 aged 8 days.

Carol
Derby- Bamford,Slater,Marriott,Lee,Fox,Hopkinson,Hawksley, Furniss, Froggatt, Stodd.
Notts - Breeding, Lacey Marriott ,Kershaw,Chambers,Geeson,Mitchell,Watts,Potts,Slack,Robinson, Cooper
Yorkshire - Potts, Bell, Derbyshire, Kershaw
Worcestershire - Dyson, Summers, Dearn, Jones
Warwickshire - Russon
Leicestershire - Stodd, Sarson, Berridge, Watts, Bradshaw.
Middlesex / Surrey - Markham, Pearce, Kalaher, Barrett

This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 14 July 10 17:36 BST (UK) »
Thanks Carol, that clears that up.

Alexander
 :)