Author Topic: Looking for my DEMPSTER family connections  (Read 4126 times)

Offline 12405

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for my DEMPSTER family connections
« on: Saturday 10 July 10 13:13 BST (UK) »
I am researching the DEMPSTER family.  My DEMPSTERs begin with Hugh DEMPSTER and Jane McCUNE (both I think were from Down, Ireland - Hugh died ca. 1842).  They had, at least, 2 children Samuel DEMPSTER (m. Mary SHAW) and James DEMPSTER (b. Oct 1828, Down, possibly Belfast, d. Dec 14, 1885, Toronto, CANADA; m. Mary McKAY).  Samuel's son William John DEMPSTER (b. ca. Jan 1862 in Antrim) married James' daughter Isabella DEMPSTER (b. April 6, 1870, Belfast).  Therefore William John and Isabella were first cousins.

I can't seem to find anything about my DEMPSTERs prior to their emigration to Canada. A lot of "similar" names seem to pop up all over the internet but nothing seems to match.

William John had 8 siblings:
Samuel, Agnes (b. Oct 8, 1867, Down; m. James Nelson), Emma, Debora Alice (b. Mar 17, 1866, Ballybeen, Down; m. Thomas Lavery on Oct 11, 1889 St. Stephen's Free Church, Antrim), Hugh, Robert, Jeanie, and Annabella/Anna Bella (b. Jan 29, 1864, Carlingford, Louth; m. James Samuel Hughes on Aug. 12, 1887 St. Stephen's Free Church, Antrim)

Isabella had 10 siblings:
Robert (b. July 1, 1859, Belfast), Hugh, (b. April 1860, Belfast), George F. (b. May 12, 1864, Belfast), Martha Jane (b. Jan 1, 1866, Ballymacarret, Down; m. Arthur Valiant in Toronto), James (Nov 7, 1867, Down - must have died young as another nrother was also named "James"), James (b. Oct 4 1872, Castlereagh No. 1, Belfast; m. Ann Bridget Cunerty, b. Toronto), William, Mary Ann (b. Oct 1 1874, Ireland), Frances (b. ca. 1878, Toronto, d. July 31, 1896, Toronto) and John (b. 1880, Toronto).

As William John came over at about 22 years of age I believe his siblings stayed in Ireland while Isabella, who came to Canada as a small child, arrived with her parents and siblings (father James was quite a well-known figure in Toronto in the late 1800s)

There is also a family "folklore" that Isabella's mother's mother was one "Martha Young" who was a disinherited siister of Rt. Hon John Young of Galgorm Castle in Ballymena - however I have yet to find any concrete evidence of this.  In James DEMPSTER's obit it listed his mother-in-law's name as "Martha Gillen".
If any of this seems to connect or ring bells please get back to me, thanks

Sean
(DEMPSTER) Down and Antrim, Ireland > Canada

Offline littlemissrat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for my DEMPSTER family connections
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 29 December 10 19:05 GMT (UK) »
Hiya,

I saw your post and i am also looking for Dempster. I dont really know much about the dempsters yet, they are next on my list to look for!  I have married into the Killops family and great aunty Maise married a Thomas Dempster in county down perhaps. I havent been told much information around this man, except they had a couple of children. Maise was born in 1927, but have no idea for Thomas. I know this isnt really any info for your question but maybe related to you unless there were/are lots of dempsters in ireland!