Author Topic: Great Grandfathers occupation 1901 census  (Read 2063 times)

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Great Grandfathers occupation 1901 census
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 11 July 10 08:11 BST (UK) »
I agree with Annie B. I think it says Atlantic Trans Co. Trans may mean Transport. The enumerator has classed him as a Port worker without clarify the job. If you think he may have been a commissionaire there have been a number of threads about the Corps of Commissionaires. It seems they have an archive you can check.

Ken

Offline charlotteCH

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy's worth chatting about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 11 July 10 08:21 BST (UK) »
Atlantic Trans Co... has my vote

charlotte

Offline Jean McGurn

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 11 July 10 08:47 BST (UK) »
There was a company called Altlantic Transport Company in 1901. Found a reference on the 19th century newspapers online.

If G.Grandfather was a retired Army Pensioner it's odds on he was a member of the Corps of Commissioners. These were ex-servicemen and their job was to - in want of a better word - 'police' the company he  was allocated to. Not sure if they were employed by the CoC or the company they worked with.

I met many of them in the 1960's and there was normally one per company. They wore a uniform not unlike the current Royal Marines No 1 uniform. Dark blue with a white peaked cap. Most Banks at that time also had Commissioners who could be found at the entrance.

Jean
McGurn, Stables, Harris, Owens, Bellis, Stackhouse, Darwent, Co(o)mbe

Offline Francesanne

• RootsChat Extra
  • Archibald Gilchrist - My Grandfather
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 11 July 10 23:02 BST (UK) »

ErrorSPAM
REPORT THIS POST AS SPAM (Use 'Report to Moderator'). DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS IN THIS POST. DO NOT REPLY TO THIS PERSON.
][/color][/color]

Apologies for delay getting back to everyone but had a very stressful day and this has been my 1st opportunity to get on computer. Can't thank everyone enough for all the help and suggestions. You've really been a GREAT help.  All the very best to everyone & thanks again.  :)
Foxall - Fenton, Staffs.
Gilchrist - St.John Canada - Paddington,London
Grubb - Thanet, Kent