Author Topic: Reverend Thomas Norton  (Read 12538 times)

Offline gambituk

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Reverend Thomas Norton
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 30 May 15 11:15 BST (UK) »
Hello,

We appear to be distantly related! Mother has done quite a bit of research into Thomas Norton and indeed the family tree. She published a book a while back (Kindle and paperback) on Amazon which I've included a link to, if you need any information then feel free to ping me a message and I'll give her a ring (her genealogy skills are superb, her internet skills are somewhat less so).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tough-Times-Broughtons-Gillian-Mary/dp/1500984361/

Mum has dictated a message for the forum and I've bunged it on below. She isn't internet literate or she would have done it personally.

"Hey Travancore!

We are also directly descended from BLWN and I am currently working on writing our family story. BLWN married Harriett Ann Spragge. They had three children Benjamin Charles, George, and Harriett we are descended from Harriett (HMAN) who came back to England aged three with her mother (HAN) after they appear to have been left penniless and without family in Bombay when BLWN died at the early age of 31. Back in England the two Harrietts moved in with her widowed mother in London, earning a living by teaching. By 1871 they were running a school for young ladies in Croydon. In 1877 daughter (HMAN) married Joshua Broughton, a widower with three boys. They went on to have five more children, one of which was my grandmother Alice. During research at the British Library India Studies I found confirmation of the birth of Benjamin Charles and the actual will of BLWN. Nothing else for CBSN. Back to English census figures and I find CBSN at boarding school in Pudsey then married and working as a chemist and then George with his eleven children! Such a surprise, then my son found you on Roots and I have questions! :D

1) What did BLWN die of?

2) Why did he leave his family penniless? (I have since discovered that they lived in what looked like a very poor part of Bombay, by Bycullah, St. Thomas's. Maybe they struggled financially and there was no money.)

3) Was CBSN sent earlier to be educated in England or did he return to England with his mother and sister in 1848?

4) Did the two Harrietts have any contact with CBSN once they returned to England?

Thinking I had all the information I would ever find I wrote the book now on Amazon. I now need to partially rewrite it with corrections plus another book specifically on Harriett and the Norton's.

I have a photo of HAN in mourning. I also have a letter she wrote to her family when she went out to India as an 18 year old, diary ditto. I am happy to share any information if you are interested? But may I send photocopies by post as I am quite backward when it comes to using technology. My aunt remembers her mother telling her that Grandma used to sing lullabies in Hindustani. Also I have a note in my Gran's birthday book of 'Cousin George Norton's' birthday on February 23rd so it looks like there was some contact.

From

Gill"

Offline Beaujolaiswine

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 07 June 15 18:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Gill

Thanks for your reply to my original message.

My interest is in Sarah Garrett who was the 3rd wife of Thomas Norton. Sarah was the sister of my Great Great Grandfather William Garrett.

Does your Mother's research include any information of the wives of Thomas Norton and their ancestry?

Regards

Richard
Garrett (particularly in Hampshire); Miller (particulalry in Hampshire); Goodey/Goody (particularly in London, Middlesex and South Oxfordshire); Phillips, Williamson and Crockett all in Buckinghamshire; Farnham in Cornwall, Pyne in Sussex and Ireland; Mursell in Hampshire and Isle of Wight; Burnett in Scotland; Bramham in Yorkshire; Colebrooke; Watts

Offline gambituk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 20 August 15 23:09 BST (UK) »
Richard,

I have some more information for you regarding Thomas Norton. Hope it may be useful. I’ve just spent a week and a half in Birmingham at the C.M.S. archives. Brilliant stuff and really helpful staff.
1st wife Ann (1781-1822). 2 children, Thomas and Benjamin.
2nd wife Eliza Collins Lee (1794-1826).
3rd wife Sarah Garrett (1795-1837). They met whilst he was on furlough from the Church Missionary Society. Don’t know how. Do you? Married at St. James, Clerkenwell 20.03.1827. She returned to Allepie with Rev. Thomas Norton and his two boys. They had five children.
•   Eliza Collins  (born 25.06.35  -  Living in Ladbroke Grove, London, 1894)
•   Sarah Ann (born 12.02.1828, baptised 14.03.1828, died 08.07.1829)
•   Charles Garrett (born 08.07.1829, baptised 21.07.1829, died 10.11.1830)
•   William Garrett (born 02.06.1836, baptised 30.06.36, died age 16, in London (29.04.1852)– if this is our William – the dates fit but do check and please could you let me know if I am wrong – please!
•   Sarah Ann (born 30.07.1832, baptised 08.09.1832)
Thomas Norton (missionary) died 11.08.1840 and in his last wishes he asked that his three youngest children be educated in England. All three were chaperoned and sailed on the ship ‘The Bombay’ in Jan. 1841. Sarah and Eliza went to Casterton School in Cumbria, a school for the children of impoverished clergy. William was too young so went with his Uncle Garrett to Winchester. At the age of 7 he went to King William’s College. Aug. 1843 – Oct. 1851. It was/is a prestigious school on the Isle of Man, originally for the training of clergy. While there he won the Lace Prize for his performance in the Greek Testament. There is a death for a William Garrett Norton in London

I believe that Sarah Ann (1832) went on to marry Alexander Smith (named in fourth wife’s will at the British Library).
4th wife Sophia Charlotte Saalfelt (1804-1874) married 09.01.1839.
There are memorials in Allepie Church. Thomas baptised all his children there.
Do you have any additional information? I would be very interested.

Thanks,
Gill

Offline gambituk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 20 February 16 17:24 GMT (UK) »
A few people have commented on this thread asking about Thomas Norton. My mother has recently written a book about Thomas Norton.

"First CMS Missionary to Travancore, Kerala.

I am descended from Thomas Norton through his first wife, Ann and have been researching his background. This has now all come together and I have just published his story in paperback at £3.99. and also on Kindle, through Amazon.

‘Thomas Norton  -  Man on a Mission’
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Thomas-Norton-Gillian-Mary-Webb/dp/1523779950/

Most of my information came from direct source material:
i.e. Thomas’s missionary journal, family memorials in Allepie Church, letters to and from the CMS, minutes of the Madras Corresponding Committee and government papers from the British in India (held at the British Library).

I have included family trees, photos and a wealth of genealogical material.

It also makes a good story!

A companion volume to this, published at the same time and available on Kindle and in paperback at £2.99 is:

‘Seasickness and Prayers: the journal of Harriett Spragge’
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Seasickness-Prayers-Journal-Harriett-Spragge/dp/1523781939/

This is the story of my great, great grandmother who travelled out to Allepie, India, by ship, in 1835, as governess to the children of Henry Baker, one of the missionaries at Kottayam. She also kept a journal. This book is my transcription of that journal, as well as an excited letter she wrote to her sisters back home in England. She married Thomas and Ann Norton’s younger son, Benjamin, and they had three children, Benjamin Charles, George Francis and Harriet Mary Ann. My connection is through Harriet.

Her story is told in ‘Tough Times for the Broughtons,’ which is also available from Amazon ( http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tough-Times-Broughtons-Gillian-Mary/dp/1500984361/ ). I am just about to produce a new edition which will include all the new information I found while researching the life and mission of Thomas Norton."

Offline Beaujolaiswine

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 10 August 16 20:14 BST (UK) »
 Hi Gambituk

Thanks for your interesting posts. Sorry for my delay in replying. Life events took over from family history research over the past year or so.

Best wishes

Richard
Garrett (particularly in Hampshire); Miller (particulalry in Hampshire); Goodey/Goody (particularly in London, Middlesex and South Oxfordshire); Phillips, Williamson and Crockett all in Buckinghamshire; Farnham in Cornwall, Pyne in Sussex and Ireland; Mursell in Hampshire and Isle of Wight; Burnett in Scotland; Bramham in Yorkshire; Colebrooke; Watts

Offline sailingby

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 09 May 21 08:41 BST (UK) »
Hi! I'm helping my uncle, Trevor Norton, to research his family history. He was born in Madras in 1938 and came to the UK when he was 18. His grandfather was Thomas Pamphile Norton who was born in 1852 or 1853 in Madras. Thomas's father was called Thomas and his mother was called Anne. He clearly can't be the son of Reverend Thomas as he died in 1840, but I just wondered if he could be the son of Reverend Thomas's son also called Thomas. I may well be barking up the wrong tree here as I'm new to this sort of research. I was amazed how many Norton's I found in the records for Madras.....