Author Topic: Bryson and Hamilton of Wishaw  (Read 5265 times)

Offline Rufous Treecreeper

• RootsChat Senior
  • My lovely Granny 1909 to 2017
    • View Profile
Re: Bryson and Hamilton of Wishaw
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 22 May 12 02:39 BST (UK) »
Glad I could help put a smile on your face (sorry about the match  :( ).

In part I found it thanks to you!  You contacting me made me see if I could 'google up' the missing Hamilton Bryson info, hoping since the last time I tried something new might have been uploaded.  I just about fell over when it did  ;D

It's quite mind boggling now isn't it?  Just how far the old family tree goes back  :o

Good luck in Edinburgh, I can't think of anything right now but I will PM you if I do.  Thanks very much for the kind offer too  :)

Mo
Best (Sussex/Australia)
Brown (Kent/Australia)
Milbourne (Australia)
Orr (Renfrew/Fife/Australia)
Livingstone, Bryson, Hutton (Hamilton, Lanark)

Offline h1bby01

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 30 May 12 19:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Mo,

I have just returned from Edinburgh and have looked at the Bryson/Crawford connection and I have taken photographs of the screen which does indeed link the 2 families, These include marriage search results and the date of marriage October 2 1709.

I will forward the pictures onto you via email shortly.

Hope all is well

Best wishes

Billy

Edit: Brysson/Craufurd wedding record number is: Parish Number 644-01, Volume 0250 and Registration district is Glasgow.

Jean Craufurd birth record number is: Parish Number 644-01, volume 0060 and registration district is Glasgow.

Offline h1bby01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 01 June 12 01:22 BST (UK) »
I meant to add that I had heard family rumours that my grandfather had been married before so I did a search to see if they were true.

To my surprise I did find a spouse, so decided to see if there was any children and I found there was a son from this marriage. I then found that the son in turn married and he too only had one son. There is also no death records for either of them (1st son born 1931) but this may be due to them leaving these shores. Something that needs further research.

It seems it also runs in the family as my father married young and as far as I was aware, he had only 1 child with his wife. Upon searching records for any further births, I then found a son and another daughter. I do have an address for the eldest daughter as they all moved to the states when their mother remarried. They do not know about me or my sibling's and I have not written to her as her mother is still alive and I don't want to rock the boat.

I served in the forces for a good number of years, so I think I may have to take a trip down memory lane to see if I too have any skeletons in the closet  :o ;D

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 01 June 12 02:29 BST (UK) »
Complicated family history, Billy  :o  Some of your grandfather's first marriage descendants may still be alive even.  And finding out about a couple of new half-siblings is pretty major!  And then you're own efforts while in the forces...  ;)  ;D

It's all white bread and butter in my immediate family  ::)  Have to go back a few generations before I get interesting stuff like yours - or maybe the closer stuff is just hidden better  ;)

Mo

PS Here's a pic scanned from a newspaper of the formidable Mrs Marion Milbourne nee Livingstone, daughter of Ann Hutton Bryson, your ancestor William's sister.
Best (Sussex/Australia)
Brown (Kent/Australia)
Milbourne (Australia)

Offline h1bby01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 01 June 12 14:06 BST (UK) »
What a fantastic picture Mo. It's great when you can put a picture to the faces of those who you are researching.

The oldest family picture that I currently have is of my great grandfather Charles Bryson and his wife Janet Ritchie Robb (Marion's cousin William's son). The picture looks to have been taken around the late 1800's to early 1900's.

I will get a scan done and will put up over the weekend.

Enjoy your weekend

Billy

Offline h1bby01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 04 June 12 00:30 BST (UK) »
Hopefully these will work:

Picture 1. My Great grandfather and grandmother

My Great grandfather and his son James.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 04 June 12 04:34 BST (UK) »
Thanks for posting the photos, Billy  :D  Great to see some of the true Scottish side. 

Did James fight in the WW1?

Mo
Best (Sussex/Australia)
Brown (Kent/Australia)
Milbourne (Australia)

Offline h1bby01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 04 June 12 20:48 BST (UK) »
James fought in WW2 but my grandfather William fought in WW1. He joined up as a 15 year old but under his mother's surname Robb and also under a false d.o.b. His true identity only came to light after he was gassed by German forces.

Some months before he died he sat me down and told me about his time in the war and as a young 8 year old I listened to his every word. To this day I have not told anyone else the stories he told, apart from the gas part and I probably never will as I just think he needed to get it all off his chest before he left us.

What was strange though is that he re-joined the forces as a regular in 1924 and served in India. That was also the start of our family members serving in the forces as my dad served as a regular, I served as a regular and I currently have 2 nephews who are serving as regulars just now.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 06 June 12 04:13 BST (UK) »
That's quite a thing, choosing your 8 year old grandson to unburden yourself to before dying.  Looks to me like you've honoured that choice too, Billy.

None of Marion's sons or grandsons went to war (I'm pretty sure).  I think it was a combination of when they were born and that they were farmers and so needed to stay home and feed the troops.  My grandad tried to join for WW2 but was medically unfit.

Mo
Best (Sussex/Australia)
Brown (Kent/Australia)
Milbourne (Australia)