Author Topic: Secondary schools in  (Read 1060 times)

Offline hinton

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Secondary schools in
« on: Sunday 11 July 10 08:50 BST (UK) »
Hello,
Have found an ancestor living at Tower St, Winchester, Hampshire on the 1911 census.
Her occupation is listed as Headmistress, of a Secondary School.
Unfortunately the school`s name is not listed.  Can anyone help with the name of any secondary schools in the vicinity, or have info that might help with the years spent at the school, and any photos. Her name was Ethel Cunningham.
Thanks,
Hinton

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline hinton

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Secondary schools in Winchester.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 11 July 10 08:52 BST (UK) »
Whoops, the heading did a runner before I`d finished.  I`m assuming if she lived in Winchester, the school would have been nearby.  Hinton.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Secondary schools in
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 July 10 13:01 BST (UK) »
Winchester High School for girls was in North Walls, not far from Tower Street.  But Ethel was not listed in the staff list in a 1913 directory.  So maybe not that one.

Have you been in touch with Hampshire Record Office to see if this lady is featured in their records?

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hinton

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Secondary schools in
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 11 July 10 21:30 BST (UK) »
Nell, 
thankyou for your help.  Will follow up on yr tip to contact Hampshire RO.  Hadn`t thought of that.
I hope further into the search I find  that she has married.
Thanks again,
Hinton