Author Topic: 161 bute street  (Read 8748 times)

Offline Terri Overton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
161 bute street
« on: Thursday 31 March 05 05:02 BST (UK) »
How can I found out what the name of the hotel located at 161 Bute St., Glamorgan, in the 1871 census was?
I believe that Josiah Baker  age 46 was the hotel keeper.
Terri
Overton-Shropshire
Rees-Merthyr Tydfil
Gwilliams-Staffordshire
Williams-Glamorgan

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
Re: 161 bute street
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 31 March 05 07:28 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Have you tried any of  the directories for the 1800's in the archives etc?

Here are some  directories online,if you haven't already got  this link. Whether he's listed in any of them I don't know.
http://www.historicaldirectories.org/

I came across the  link below with a quick search on google
old pubs, inns and hotels  in cardiff and their landlords, there are a few in the 1800's in Bute st, but alas no pubs or hotels with a Josiah Baker  in 1871 for Bute St  listed on this site below. The list on the  below site may come in handy for you  though as it names a few of the pubs and hotels in Bute st.

I looked at the 1871 census for 161 bute st  at your Baker family, and I can see a landmark of some sorts further on - A  London Hotel (looks like it says that)  is listed a few doors down from  number 161 , it's located at number 169. If you can locate London Hotel today, or yesterday years as it may be long gone by now :)  perhaps the pub, or hotel  before it is your Baker's.  London Hotel  is listed in the 1855 cardiff directory according to the below link .

It may also be worth you searching  on all different terms and ploughing through the results on google to see if you can come up with anything, if you haven't done so already.
 I didn't look through all my results as there were far too many of them relating to Bute street, many of no relevance at all. This below link was one of the first results that I found with the terms Bute street and old  cardiff pubs - I  haven't tried searching on  the terms Hotels, inns  etc, Bute st.

Have you looked at 161 Bute st in the 1881/1891 and even 1901 ( if the building/hotel  still there in 1901 )etc censuses to see if it gives a hotel name at  the address of 161 in the later censuses?

Just a few ideas for you, I don't know if you've already tried all this to find it.

Old Cardiff Pubs, Inns and Hotels:
http://hometown.aol.com/PRode18115/pubs.htm

Hope this  is of some help :)

P.S.
I'm also coming across a hardware store in my search results at that 161 number today in a Bute Street. I don't know if this hardware shop is the same Hotel in  the same Bute street as in the census (?) .Also many house/bulidng numbers change over the years  - if it is perhaps the owners of the hardware shop will know what it's name was in the 1800's -  in the deeds of the building .   I don't know how you would go about doing this.
" 161 Bute Street Treherbert Treorchy Mid Glamorgan CF42 5PE Hardware Retailers in Cardiff"
Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u

Offline Taffie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 05 April 05 00:27 BST (UK) »
Terri, I have some of the 'Cardiff Yesterday' books with pictures. I also have a separate one on the old Tiger Bay, so will go through it again and see if I can find any reference or pictures for you, will let you know if I do.  Audrey in Canada (from Cardiff)

Offline NigelG

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 05 April 05 08:38 BST (UK) »
Looking at the various entries for this address in the on-line directories, I suspect this address was a boarding house rather than a full blown hotel. It also seems to change hands a lot!

In the 1880's a Henry Arkell - Bootmaker is listed at 115, 160 & 161 Bute Street  ???
1890 - E Clements - listed as a "family hotel"
1900's - H Weeks - "Boarding House"
1911 - George Borge - "Boarding House"

Davies, Edwards, Evans, Griffiths, Hughes, James, Jones, Morgan, Nicholas, Powell, Prytherch, Rees, Williams in Glamorgan, Brecon, PEM, CMN & MGY

Biddle, Budd, Clark/e, Davis/Davies, Elliott, Emery, Harper, Harris, Lloyd, Parsons, Phillips, Pitt, Reed/Reid/Read/Rhead, Rogers, Scandrett, Smith, Tyler & Waldron in Staffs, Worcs, Hef, Cheshire, Shrops., Middlesex & Surrey.

Cooghan/Coogan/Cogan - Castleblaney, Co Monaghan

Census Information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ivymoon

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 26 September 10 12:23 BST (UK) »
Hi i'm trying to find some information on 139 bute street, seems as its just across the road from 161 i was wondering whether you might have some information about what might have been here??? there's some weird going on's in this house and i'm interesting in finding outi f there was a little girl how died here??? anyone with any ides on how i can go about finding out about this would be much appreciated :D

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 26 September 10 18:52 BST (UK) »
Terri,
Post Office Directory of Monmouthshire & S. Wales 1871

Baker Josiah, confectioner & private hotel, 161 Bute St

regards

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 26 September 10 18:57 BST (UK) »
Terri,
Found also in the same Directory

Confectioners & Pastry Cooks
Baker Josiah, 161 Bute St, Cardiff

regards 

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 26 September 10 19:03 BST (UK) »
Terri
Worrall's Directory of South Wales 1875

Confectioners
Baker Charles, 161 Bute St

Temperance Hotels
Baker Charles, 161 Bute St

regards

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 26 September 10 19:44 BST (UK) »
ivymoon,
you can find some uses No 139 has been put to at

www.historicaldirectories.org/hd/findbykeyword.asp

Select location      Wales
Use                     139 bute    as the search key in "Enter your own keywords"

good luck