Author Topic: Monaghan Workhouse records  (Read 34703 times)

Offline Ferrington

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Monaghan Workhouse records
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 24 September 11 11:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks noseyjosey, I was hopeful too, but it was not to be.

Fiona

Offline quinndaughter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 07 March 12 22:00 GMT (UK) »
Hello all.  I am also looking for information that may be contained in the Monaghan Workhouse records.  If you have any suggestions about how to access this resource, I would be grateful to know.  The background information I have is as follows: My distant grandmother, Margaret Quinn, died at the Monaghan Workhouse on 14 Jan 1882 of Phthitis (consumption/TB).  She was admitted approximately two years prior.  She was Catholic, born around 1845, gave birth to several children in Corcaghan and was married to Peter Quinn.  Her maiden name was very likely Trainor or Treanor.  Her husband, Peter Quinn, was a Ragman by trade, who was born about 1840 and died 5 June 1894 in Greagh, Monaghan, at his brother Patrick's house.  I would also really love to know where they were buried and whether they had a headstone. 
Many thanks!!! 
Quinn, McGonigal, Deasy, Lafferty

Offline maria mcgurk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 18 July 12 17:37 BST (UK) »
Recently I got in touch with Clones library about workhouse records. They said they don't have them but...... they have to be in Monaghan somewhere and I am going to check this out. In the 1911 Irish census-there are returns for a workhouse in Clones where an Eleanor Murphy worked as a teacher.
Study this for clues. I dont know but it seems this was a small workhouse. An assylum/workhouse much larger existed in Monaghan town where the inhabitants are known only by initials eg John Smith-registered as JS.
Look up Irish 1911 census-district of Rooskey.
You probably have all of this but maybe it is of some help.
Maria

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 18 July 12 17:51 BST (UK) »
Hello all.  I am also looking for information that may be contained in the Monaghan Workhouse records.  If you have any suggestions about how to access this resource, I would be grateful to know.  The background information I have is as follows: My distant grandmother, Margaret Quinn, died at the Monaghan Workhouse on 14 Jan 1882 of Phthitis (consumption/TB).  She was admitted approximately two years prior.  She was Catholic, born around 1845, gave birth to several children in Corcaghan and was married to Peter Quinn.  Her maiden name was very likely Trainor or Treanor.  Her husband, Peter Quinn, was a Ragman by trade, who was born about 1840 and died 5 June 1894 in Greagh, Monaghan, at his brother Patrick's house.  I would also really love to know where they were buried and whether they had a headstone. 
Many thanks!!! 

I have seen various workhouse records for Co Antrim and where an inmate has died but I have not seen any specific records relating to place of burial. The records are fairly brief, just recording date of arrival, reason, date of leaving and reason with a few comments and personal information (eg marital status and address). However having said that, some workhouses had graveyards within their grounds. An example is the Belfast Workhouse (now the City Hospital) where the graveyard had to be moved when the hospital was extended. If someone died in the workhouse, it would be up to the next of kin to pay for a gravestone but in most cases I suspect they would not have been in a position to do so. I'd guess therefore that your ancestor is in an unmarked grave, perhaps within the workhouse grounds if that workhouse had such a graveyard.
Elwyn

Offline quinndaughter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 19 July 12 20:50 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much.  I will pursue the lead!
Quinn, McGonigal, Deasy, Lafferty

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 20 July 12 09:44 BST (UK) »
According to this site Clones Library have records (but they may not hold the records you are looking for)-
http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Clones/

I had a look in National Library's online catalogue (Dublin) but nothing shows there for Clones Workhouse; also nothing in PRONI's e-catalogue (Belfast).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline RobertWhaite

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 01 June 13 00:59 BST (UK) »
Hi

If you are still researching Mary martin ,I think I have found her as a witness to another orphans marriage

Best Regards

Rob

Offline RobertWhaite

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 01 June 13 06:51 BST (UK) »
Hi, Do you have a husband for Mary martin?  I may be able to help you

Offline Ferrington

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 02 June 13 12:46 BST (UK) »
Rob, I'd love to hear more. Can you pm me?

Mary had 2 husbands, Thomas Bilsborough who drowned, and then James Tucker.

Fiona