Author Topic: mary schofield, matron at King Edward VII Hospital  (Read 2591 times)

Offline clovis

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
mary schofield, matron at King Edward VII Hospital
« on: Monday 12 July 10 16:19 BST (UK) »
hi, trying to find out what happened to my g-grandmother mary schofield - she had my grandmother adopted and returned to nursing.  A distant family member has given me a newspaper photo of her in uniform with the caption that she was joining King Edward VII hospital windsor as a matron.  Unfortunately the photo was clipped out and the relative doesn't know what paper it was in or the date.  Mary was born in 1875 and is middleaged (50ish?) in the picture. The Reading records office is meant to hold staff records for this hospital and I would be eternally grateful if anyone is doing their own search of the records, if they let me know whether there is any info on her.

Offline judy peake

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: mary schofield, matron at King Edward VII Hospital
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 November 19 20:14 GMT (UK) »
I know she retired in 1953 ish. She was a kindly and intelligent person, in my opinion. Motherly. Am sad to hear she gave up her daughter (or had to) for adoption. Judy

Moderator comment: personal e-mail address removed in accordance with RootsCHat general guidance to prevent others spamming or abusing it.

Please use the personal message system to exchange e-mail addresses.  New members need to make at least two posts to be able to access the system.  Thanks

Offline judy peake

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 November 19 03:08 GMT (UK) »
The matron at King Edward VII Hospital, Windsor, was a Mabel Schofield, not a Mary.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 November 19 11:14 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat judy peake

'clovis' has not been on here since 2010 but they may still have the same email and get notified of your reply. 

Their Mary was apparently born in 1875, the Mabel Schofield that you mention appears to have been born in 1895 and was in Windsor on the prewar register
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline judy peake

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 November 19 20:19 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I realized that the birth dates did not " compute", but I also, thought her message was more recent. Hopefully she'll see it sometime!

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 November 19 21:36 GMT (UK) »
Miss Schofield was matron of King Edward VII Hospital when my mother trained there in the second half of the 1930's. I have a super photograph of her. When I find it, I will post it.
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 12 November 19 08:33 GMT (UK) »
Herewith photo of 'Miss' Schofield. She was known as 'Miss', as Matron of King Edward VII Hospital, Windsor. My mother liked her much. She attended the annual re-unions of former nurses.

One anecdote was that the trainee nurses didn't like the food. A deputation of nurses took their complaint to Matron. Matron said 'the food is good', to which the leader, one Vinicombe, a Blackshirt (Mosley) replied 'Matron, good fish doesn't stink'.

Won't let me post pic.   
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 12 November 19 08:40 GMT (UK) »
If she were born in 1875 and retired around 1953, that would have made her almost 80.  Is that possible for nurses in the 1950's?
Think original poster has some slightly wrong information.
Extremely unlikely that there was a Mary Schofield born 1875 and a Mable Schofield 1895, both matrons at the same hospital, (almost) simultaneously.

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 12 November 19 10:37 GMT (UK) »
Quite right Chempat. My mother trained something like 1935 to 1940. Re-unions would have been post war. I remember my mother talking of her with affection in the 1950's.

There was only one Matron per hospital, don't know the rule now. Very powerful people.

I might do a search for Matron Schofield's life.

Would some kind person tell me why I can't post the photo of Matron Schofield.