Author Topic: RAWSONS of Nottinghamshire/Leicester  (Read 16154 times)

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
Re: RAWSONS of Nottinghamshire/Leicester
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 14 July 10 20:52 BST (UK) »
Some Rawson building pics - whether or not they're the immediate branch, I suspect they'll be related somewhere along the line!

1. Rawson St, Leicester -- named after the family. They owned many of the buildings in the immediate vicinity.
Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 14 July 10 20:54 BST (UK) »
2. Crescent Cottage, King St -- Thomas Rawson lived here in 1841 - he was a son of James Rawson the Elder.
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 14 July 10 20:55 BST (UK) »
3. The Crescent, King St -- built by James Rawson the Younger around 1828 as his and his family's residence, split between various family members after his death.
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 14 July 10 21:23 BST (UK) »
OK - I have tracked down the will of Richard Rawson, the father of Henry and George and several other children bapt as nonconformist (viz above and page1), dated 1844.

There's 17 pages of it! All in squiggly writing! So this is going to take some time to get through! But I will report back when I've made head and tail of it. Don't think that will be tonight!
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 15 July 10 10:50 BST (UK) »
Ok, I have skim-read Richard Rawson's will. Tedious or what! 15 pages of legal gibberish! proved in 1844.

This, to clarify, is the will of Richard Rawson b around 1762, married to Elizabeth, father of the noncon-baptised children previously listed. He is listed in the 1841 census as living in London Rd, Leicester, with his wife Elizabeth and two servants. He was the brother of James R the Elder, and so was already on my tree. He's NOT the RR who was mayor of Leicester - the mayoral one was his nephew (son of James the Elder).

Richard's will lists as beneficiaries and executors, 3 sons - Edward, Henry and George (as well as mentioning his wife and 3 other people who don't carry the Rawson name). Unfortunately it doesn't give more detail about these sons. Selfishly he forgot to mention any grandchildren! (Didn't he care about us future geneaologists?!)

So this does at least prove that Richard's son George was still alive in 1844. A lot of property was involved in the will and the family was clearly wealthy.

It doesn't prove that Richard's son George was the solicitor in Nottingham.

Carleton, is there any particular reason why you fixed on different parents for George? You could of course be right but to me it looks as though the jury is still out!

How about - asking on Leic message board for any George Rawson burials between 1807ish - 1840; checking witnesses at George's marraige in case of helpful names; and I'll bet any money that George would have had a will - can it be traced? Maybe it would mention siblings?

I haven't looked at the censuses to see if there are any other leicester-born George Rawsons of the right sort of age still alive in 1841 and later - are there?
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)

Offline Carleton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 15 July 10 16:21 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Re Annie's message this morning & Richard Rawson b. 1762:

Because of the year that Richard Rawson was born (1762), I would say that this Richard "might" be the grandfather of *George Rawson, solicitor and father of Francis George Rawson, b. 1834 (who md. Sarah Ann(e) Smith.

Things we do know:

We have have the 1841/1851 census images for father, *George.  In 1841, George is shown  with wife, Eliza - both are aged 30 (rounded out), along with  their two children, Francis (George), aged 8 and Emily, aged 4.  There are no other children. 

In 1851, only Francis (this time shown as Frances George) appears with his parents along with 4 servants.  Father, George is aged 43, solicitor, b. in St. Margaret's, Leicester; Eliza is aged 42, b. in Basford, Notts.  They are living in Bestwood Park.  Daughter, Emily Georgeanna is not with them.  (St. Margaret's Church was C of E. 

On the image for the 1861 census, Lenton, Eliza is shown as, widow, aged 52, householder, b. Basford, Notts.  With her is daughter Emily Georgeanna aged 23 unmarr. and visitor, Fred. Drage, Lt. in the army, whom Emily Geo. eventually marries (as per Suz.) 

Therefore, *George Rawson died bet. 1851-1861.  Again, I make reference to the Bromley Library information:
George Rawson
Subscriber: 6/1/1834 to 2/9/1861. (year of death?)
Committee: 1842.
He was nominated as a new trustee on 28/2/1848.
Deceased.
The share was transferred to F.G. Rawson.

Annie writes:  Carleton, is there any particular reason why you fixed on different parents for George? You could of course be right but to me it looks as though the jury is still out!

This is strictly IGI info which we all know sometimes can be very unreliable.  However, based on the ages of George on the censuses, the dates fit.  The IGI shows a George Rawson, b. 08 September 1809/chr 18 Sept. 1809 St. Margaret's Leicester.  Parents are George Rawson and Lydia.  A children search for George and Lydia turned up nothing, unfortunately.

All the above information points to the George Rawson born in 1809.

I will definitely try the Leicester forum later.

Regards,
Dorothy 

ROBINSON, Gtr. London & Kent; ELDRIDGE, Kent; BUSBY, Asthall, Oxford.; HAMILTON, So. Kensington, M'Sex, LANGFORD, Finstock, Oxfordshire. & Kensington, M'Sex; EELES, Windrush,Gloucester & Oxfordshire; CHAMBERLAIN, Upton, Berkshire; SMITH, Bethnal Green/Mile End.

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 15 July 10 19:12 BST (UK) »
---but Richard Rawson -- the one who wrote the will and who was bapt 1768 (not 62, my apologies) -- had a son called George, baptised 1807.

St Margaret's is a church in Leicester but also an area of Leicester. Whilst the majority, I suppose, of people born in St Margarets district would have been baptised in the corresponding church, there would be nothing to stop the non-conformists of the area being baptised elsewhere.

Just checked Ancestry -- there is another George Rawson in the 1841 and 1861 censuses, living with his wife Ann and children in the St Margarets's district of Leicester, b 1811/1808 - he's a framework knitter.
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)

Offline Carleton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 16 July 10 03:46 BST (UK) »
Re Richard Rawson b. 1762.....thanks, Annie.  You wrote:

"Just checked Ancestry -- there is another George Rawson in the 1841 and 1861 censuses, living with his wife Ann and children in the St Margarets's district of Leicester, b 1811/1808 - he's a framework knitter."

This looks like him - He was chr 23 Feb. 1762 St. Margaret's, Leicester, son of Thomas Rawson and Mary.  George married Ann Wood 24 Feb. 1784 at St. Margaret's, Leicester and had the following children:

Thomas Rawson, b. 18 March 1785/chr 20 March 1785 St. Margaret's Leicester;
George Rawson, b. 31 Oct. 1786/chr 01 Nov. 1786 St. Margaret's Leicester; Susannah Rawson b. 31 Dec. 1788/chr 01 Jan. 1789 St. Margaret's Leicester. 

Another George Rawson for consideration as father of George Rawson who md. Eliza.

I found the following earlier today at - http://www.broxtowehundred.co.uk/nottnew.htm....Nottingham in the News.  A woman from N. S. W. did these transcriptions of births, marriages, deaths plus other snippets.    You might already have seen this?

Wednesday 17 August 1831, Derby Mercury (5170)
Marriages - On Saturday *se'nnight by the Rev. George Wilkens, D.D., Mr. George Rawson, solicitor, Leicester, to Eliza, 4th daughter of Mr. Joseph Pearson of The High Pavement, Nottingham.

Wednesday 31 May 1826, Derby Mercury (4899)
Marriages - Thursday, the 25th instant, at St. Mary's, Nottingham, by the Rev. George Wilkens, D.D., Vicar, Mr. George Renshaw, to Sarah, eldest daughter of Mr. Joseph Pearson of The High Pavement.

Wednesday, 11 January 1832, Derby Mercury (5191)
Marriages - At. St. Mary's, Nottingham, on Tuesday, the 3rd instant, by the Rev. George Wilkens, D.D., Samuel, youngest son of the late John Renshaw, Esq. of Owthorpe Hall, to Elizabeth, second daughter of Mr. Joseph Pearson of The High Pavement.

*se'nnight:  archaic (15 th century) phrase meaning a seven-day period.

Haven't posted on the Leicestershire board yet but will do so in the morning.  I also intend to email the Leicester records office and see if they will give me the information on who George Rawson's (of Eliza) father (parents) were.  Some of the record offices I have written over the years have been very helpful, not all, however.

Regards,
Dorothy

ROBINSON, Gtr. London & Kent; ELDRIDGE, Kent; BUSBY, Asthall, Oxford.; HAMILTON, So. Kensington, M'Sex, LANGFORD, Finstock, Oxfordshire. & Kensington, M'Sex; EELES, Windrush,Gloucester & Oxfordshire; CHAMBERLAIN, Upton, Berkshire; SMITH, Bethnal Green/Mile End.

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 16 July 10 08:22 BST (UK) »
I have seen the marraige announcement for George and Eliza before, though I don't have a copy of it.

I'm really confused by the first part of your prev post though. Since the FWK George, living in St Mgt, was born (according to the censuses) between 1808 - 1811, of what relevance are the other people baptised in the 1780s?

Proof is missing but this is the picture as it seems to me:

2 George Rawsons baptised in Leicester around 1808ish - 1 in St Margarets, 1 in Bishop St Wesleyan.

2 Leicester-born George Rawsons in subsequent censuses of the correct age - one is a wealthy solicitor in nottinghamshire, married to a Pearson girl from Basford, the other is a FWK in St Margarets, leicester.

One set of parents for a George - Lydia and Charles - we know nothing about (the St Mgt baptism).
The other set (Bishop St Wesleyan) we know quite a lot about - Richard and Elizabeth -- a wealthy family, made their money from the textile trade and property; a known link with the Basford Pearson family insomuch as a nephew of Richard married Ann Pearson, who was a first cousin of the Eliza Pearson who married George Rawson. Another link is through Henrietta Rawson, granddaughter of Richard via his son Henry (Henry is also featured in the will) - Henrietta is mentioned in responses above.

Whilst I know the Rawson trees aren't straightforward, and I acknowledge that proof is lacking, it seems to me far more likely that Richard and Eliz's son (who we know, from the will, was still alive in the 1840s) would be a wealthy solicitor linked with the Pearsons, rather than a FWK in the backstreets of St Mgt.
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)