Author Topic: RAWSONS of Nottinghamshire/Leicester  (Read 16153 times)

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
Re: RAWSONS of Nottinghamshire/Leicester
« Reply #45 on: Monday 08 June 20 22:05 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat.

The Notts FH CD gives the fllowing baptismal details:

1728 01 08   William    son of Mr W.   RAWSON   NOTTINGHAM Castle Gate, Independent   

--- not very helpful really!

There were 3 other baptisms in that time frame to a Mr W Rawson at the same place: Joseph (1724), Samuell (1726) and Isaack (1730). No name is given for the mother.

There was a Nottingham hosier called William Rawson who, as a widow, married Ann Chapman in Leicester in 1748 as well. Ann was from a wealthy family; I believe that she and William had no children. There were a lot of other William Rawsons also marrying in Nottinghamshire in the 1700s! There's no burial in 1788-9 for William on the FHS disc, and I can't see a baptism for Sarah Rawson either, (although my disc is not the most recent edition).

How far back have you gone with your tree?
Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)

Offline robbiew.whit

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday 09 June 20 00:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply. The Rawson connection is a modest one - William Rawson married the first daughter of my 5th great grandfather, Nathaniel Whitlock and wife Hannah Matthews. Collecting details of those around them, as their son Matthews Whitlock is my 4th great grandfather and cannot find his baptism. The other children are mostly baptized at High Pavement Chapel and/or St. Mary, but no sign of Matthews. Suspect that he was born about 1733.

Matthews Whitlock (3rd great grandfather) was a hosier and a lace manufacturer baptized 1802 and died in 1879. A great many of the people connected to the family during this time period were linked to lace or other related industries.

I must have an earlier version of the NFHS CD as William Rawson is not listed.

Again, thanks for the reply.

Offline robbiew.whit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Friday 10 July 20 14:19 BST (UK) »
I have come across what I believe to be an estate administration document dated 1813 related to the daughter of William Rawson (Sarah Shuttleworth) related to property owned by Rawson in Leicestershire. The Find my past document indicates that his residence was Nottingham. Still can't find a death or burial in that time period.

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Friday 10 July 20 21:26 BST (UK) »
Can you point me to the document, or give any details of the property? I can see if there's any possible link with any of the properties or locations that I know were owned by my Rawsons.

re the William Rawson that I mentioned above, who married Ann Chapman -- his wife (the same Ann Chapman) was buried in St Mary de Castro, Leicester. William doesn't seem to have been buried with her:

"Here lieth interred the body of Ann Rawson, wife of Mr William Rawson of Nottingham, and daughter of Mr Humphrey Chapman, late one of the Aldermen, and once mayor, of this borough. She departed this life the 16 day of October 1768, in the 60th year of her age".

http://specialcollections.le.ac.uk/digital/collection/p15407coll6/id/3486

of course this may not be the same William but I wonder how many wealthy Notts hosiers called William Rawson, with links to Leicester, there were at the one time.

Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)

Offline robbiew.whit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Sunday 12 July 20 17:34 BST (UK) »
On closer examination the document I found online is an administrative bond, referring to "goods chattles and credits" belonging to the late William Rawson of Nottingham. The document is affirmed by Fred Shuttleworth, and relates to his wife, Sarah Shuttleworth, also daughter of William Rawson. It seems to be dated 06 of August 1813. Unfortunately William's date of death is not mentioned.

As I believe you noted, there are a lot of Rawsons in the Nottingham area and I believe this is leading to confusion with many public trees as to which individual belongs to which family. I see mention of a William & Thomas Rawson, hosiers, in 1763 related to an apprenticeship of James Grieves, and I believe these are brothers born in the 1720s, father William Rawson, christened at Castle Gate Meeting (Independent). My William Rawson married Sarah Whitlock on 15 May 1758 at st Nicholas, Nottingham. He was 30 and she is listed as 29, but really was 32

Offline Daniel McNicol

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Monday 10 May 21 20:00 BST (UK) »
I'm of the Rhodesian extraction Zimmermam Rawson