Author Topic: KerryB's Scavenger Hunt...Everyone Welcome To Join In  (Read 21479 times)

Offline Tephra

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Veni, veni, veni Locamovae cum me
    • View Profile
KerryB's Scavenger Hunt...Everyone Welcome To Join In
« on: Tuesday 13 July 10 10:44 BST (UK) »

Welcome to this weeks Scavenger Hunt and it promises to be a good one.... lots of twists and turns.

Good Luck and Good Hunting

Barbara

I hope you may find this an interesting one and I will give you a quick background recap to any who have helped with my Baldwin family before!

For a while I have been looking to find siblings of my gr gr gr grandfather William Baldwin.  Basically he was born 1829 to Corlis/Corles/Corless Baldwin and Hester/Esther in St Giles, London.  (Have baptism record)  From IGI and census returns it appears Corlis (shoemaker) and Esther were from Ireland and married 1811 (making her Hester Young) possibly.  Going by Esther’s death certificate (dated 1853) she was 43 when she had William and I have found no other siblings born in London.  Therefore it appears other children would probably have been born in Ireland before they came to London which brings me to this scavenger hunt.

(http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,454013.0.html – looked for Henry’s birth in Ireland)

Searching on the new IGI site the other week I came up with the following marriage and ordered the certificate as follows:
17 July 1844 at Preston, Lancs, Henry Baldwin, 32, bachelor, Engineer, 4 Ignatius Square, father Corless Baldwin, farmer and Hannah Darby, 23, spinster, 4 Ignatius Square, father George Darby, farmer.
By licence
Witnesses John and Jane Bosworth

Now I have searched high and low and can find no other records of this pair at all.  I can find no other Corlis Baldwin in the country at that time so it has to be my Corlis Baldwin.  There are a few possible George Darbys but could not link to a daughter Hannah. 

However if I could find an 1851 or later census return it would hopefully show Henry’s birthplace as Ireland. 

From the sources available to me (not a lot for Lancs unfortunately as my first foray into that county) I could find no children being baptised, no census returns, no passenger lists or anything else.  So they seem to have just disappeared.

I made a big assumption that as Corlis and Esther would probably have come to London via Liverpool, Henry stayed behind in that area?  Also Corlis could well have been a farmer in Ireland but ending up in London, could only become a shoemaker??  Of course this Henry may not be son to this Corlis at all.

I have not been able to find any children for Corlis and Esther on currently available Irish records although I believe more are being released all the time and I keep checking. 

Either I have been really dopey and have missed records for Henry and Hannah or they really can’t be found so I thought I would appeal to the Scavengers for some help/back up searches on this one to see what can be found and hopefully by the end of it I will have found a brother for William.

If Henry gets exhausted, I also have a couple of records that could indicate another possible brother Thomas.

Onley/Only/Olney In Islington.<br />Wallwork In Bolton and Walkden<br />Lamb In Bolton and Ireland<br />Grundy In Bolton<br />Blackledge In Bolton<br />Osbaldeston  ?? ??<br />Barnett in Islington<br />Binyon in Islington
Kitchen in Bolton
Parker in Bolton

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I will find them wherever they are hiding
    • View Profile
Re: KerryB's Scavenger Hunt...Everyone Welcome To Join In
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 13 July 10 11:20 BST (UK) »
My initial thoughts are that Henry is a red herring.

Father farmer, OK possibly ag. lab. but not shoemaker.

Although Corless Baldwin does appear to be an unusual combination of names it is very possible that there were 2 or more with the same names, possibly related, cousins, 2nd. cousins, uncle/nephew etc.

So your Corless came to London 1828 or earlier.

Now my experience of shoemakers who moved ( confirmed by Jenquest's Scavenger Hunt a few weeks ago) is that they acquire a new 'wife'. Mine didn't help by choosing one with the same christian name as his legal wife.

I think until you can get access to more Irish records you will have a problem.
Cross Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Jennings Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Steel Byfield Northants,  Rogers Northants,  Wheeler Oxon,  Roberts Oxon,  Bonham Oxon/ Middleton Cheney Northants,  Maycock Northants,  Abbott Northants , Newman Northants, Buckingham Bucks, Hart Warks, Newth Gloucs.

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline alpinecottage

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 July 10 11:37 BST (UK) »
I'm wondering if Corlis and Hester came to Lancashire early in their marriage, had some children there then moved on to London.  Henry could have been their first child born about 1812.  By the time Corlis and Hester moved down to London, Henry could have been 15 or 16, and working in Lancs.

Note that there is a Henry, widowed and living in Blacko, not too far from Preston on 1851 census.  Interestingly he is a cordwainer (shoemaker).  A Hannah Baldwin died in Manchester in 1845 June Q.
Perrins - Manchester and Staffs
Honan - Manchester and Ireland
Hogg - Manchester 19 cent
Anderson - Newcastle mid 19 cent
Boullen - London then Carlisle then Manchester
Comer - Manchester and Galway

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 13 July 10 12:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Kerry

Cork Mercantile Chronicle M 4/10/1813 Baldwin Corless Death Last week in Bandon, Corless Baldwin Esq

BANDON GENEALOGY (Cork Ireland)

~~~~

Lands of LISNEGAT Rental
         Griffith's Valuation of the entire is £240 15s 0d

The several shares and proportions following of the Lands of LISNEGAT, that is to say (?) parts
or one-fifth part thereof being formerly the estate of Corless William BALDWIN; or (?) parts or one-fifth the
estate being formerly the estate of Henry BALDWIN; (?) parts or one-fifth being formerly the estate of
James BALDWIN; (?) parts, being one-third of the one-fifth formerly the estate of Elizabeth BALDWIN
and after-wards of the said Corless William BALDWIN; (?)parts being the share of the said William McCRIEGHT
of the said one-fifth, formerly the Estate of the said Elizabeth Baldwin; (?) parts being the share of the
said Petitioners of the said one-fifth, formerly the estate of said Elizabeth Baldwin; (?) parts being the
share of said Louisa HERRICK, John Edward HERRICK, Isabella SHAW HERRICK, Henrietta HERRICK, Eliza LEADER,
Herbert BALDWIN, and Herbert BALDWIN, the younger. of the said one-fifth, formerly the estate of said
Elizabeth Baldwin; and (?) being the share of the said Elizabeth Mc CARTHY of the said one fifth, formerly
the estate of the said Elizabeth BALDWIN,

and several shares and proportions making the whole (?) or seven-ninths parts undivided, of and in the
Lands of LISNEGAT, situate in the Barony of Kinalmeaky, County Cork, containing 303a 0r 35p English
Statute measure, (more or less) the entire of said lands being held by virtue of a Lease dated 6th
May 1771, from Robert BALDWIN to William to William BALDWIN, subject to the yearly rent of
£110 15s 4-1/2d, equilvalent to the Yearly rent of £120 late currency.
Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 13 July 10 12:42 BST (UK) »
Bandon Rent Rolls 1817

Original Lessee Current Tenant Property
John Baldwin Corlis Baldwin Mallowgeaton

other Baldwins also in Bandon

Richard Baldwin Robert Sealy Buckworths

Walter Baldwin Walter Baldwin  Part Teadies

James Baldwin James Baldwin Tenement

James Baldwin reps  Mrs Douglas Tenement

By Roger Connors John Baldwin/Patrick Duggan  Entries crossed out

? Isaac reps  Sarah Baldwin  Part Tullyglass

Richard Murray reps Saul Baldwin  His houses

Baldwin Sealy  Robert Sealy sen   Roes

Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 13 July 10 13:06 BST (UK) »
Although farming to shoemaking seems a big occupation change there could have been factors to influence this if it is the same Corless maybe he came to England during the potato famine and he had to take the work as it was there, so upon arrival in Liverpool he became a farmer or at least worked on the land  but tales were told of fortunes and streets paved with gold in London so off he went, as you say there is not much possibility of farming in London, so maybe he had to turn his hand to shoemaking a skilled trade you would expect so perhaps this was his trade in Ireland although you would then expect him to carry it on upon arrival in Liverpool. We have to remember the census is just one day as is the marriage and that was his particular job on that day
He could have equally been injured whilst working on the farm and had to turn to other means to make a living

I ramble on but you get my gist and this of course is all speculation.

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 13 July 10 14:20 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone, and thank you for your replies so far.  At work today which has turned out to be busier than I was expecting and so have not had chance till now to look at the web!!!!  :(

I do get your gist Toni and your thinking is not dissimilar to mine  ;D

Alpine cottage, doh I had not thought to search for a widowed Henry, I'll take a look at that and maybe that explains why I couldn't find any children for them!

Jaywit, the only other Corless Baldwin who I have ever found records for has been a child born 1840 and died 1844, known as Cornelius on the census and child to Thomas and Margaret.  I have baptism and death record for him.  Interestingly Thomas was born 1816 in Ireland and could possibly be another child for Corless and Hester.

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I will find them wherever they are hiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 13 July 10 14:29 BST (UK) »
Kerry If you can look at Ancestry.Com they have some Irish marriages listed in the Cork area, there are I think 3 or 4 for Corless Baldwin in a relativly short space of time.  ( just enter Corless Baldwin born Ireland in search)
OK it is possible that it's the same man but if so he got through wives pretty quickly.
Cross Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Jennings Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Steel Byfield Northants,  Rogers Northants,  Wheeler Oxon,  Roberts Oxon,  Bonham Oxon/ Middleton Cheney Northants,  Maycock Northants,  Abbott Northants , Newman Northants, Buckingham Bucks, Hart Warks, Newth Gloucs.

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk