Author Topic: Adrift in Suffolk  (Read 6480 times)

Offline millertom

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Adrift in Suffolk
« on: Wednesday 14 July 10 19:29 BST (UK) »
New on this site. More than a little baffled.  Seen a 2007 message by Suffolk*sue about Huntingdonshire folk marrying in Suffolk. One of them looks like my tribe, but can't see where this search started from or any further info. I can see sue's profile and note tht she is part of the  Rootschat nobility. This presumably is why I canot find any means of contacting her (or for that matter anyone  else). Please can someone advise whether I genuflect/send her 30 head of cattle or make other sacrifice in order to get in touch.

Kind regards
milllertom

Offline wozzle

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Adrift in Suffolk
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 14 July 10 19:41 BST (UK) »
i believe you have to make 3 postings on here you can then contact suffolk sue using the personal message system(just reply another 2 times on this post )
cattell,alcester
vickers,sulgrave
hewish,holborn
manley,bethnal green
barnes,bassingbourn

Offline suffolk*sue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Catherine Sandys & Sarah Richardson,where are you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 14 July 10 20:24 BST (UK) »
Hello millertom, how can I help you?
Census information is Crown Copyright  -  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline millertom

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 14 July 10 22:34 BST (UK) »
Thanks for replying Sue.

In your 2007 posting about Hunts people marrying in Suffolk, you have a Thomas Langley marrying Sophia Elgood at Cransford  in 1814. He is from "Old Newton" Is this the one in Suffolk near Stowmarket? Or is there one  in Hunts? Or is she from Hunts? Difficulties there as the Elgoods are well established in Cransford (though there is evidence of some of them moving to Huntingdon in C19) Is this what your search picked up? Would be glad of advice as to where the "Old Newton"  and Huntingdon information came from.

I have only just signed up here, but spotted your posting a few weeks ago. It made a lot of sense to have Thomas coming from Suffolk  Folk on Ancestry and Genes Reunited had placed him in Warwickshire which seemed most unlikely.

Armed with this info I hastened to Old Newton ( Suffolk) in search of Langley MIs. Found lots of lichen instead, but also found a local WI lady whose team had transcribed the MIs in the 80s. There were no Langleys on her list, but this is not to say Thomas does not come from there. He was a miller and I gathered that the village did have two mills. I have yet to see the PRs which my throw more light on his family ( unless he comes from Huntingdon!)

After his marriage he and Sophia are certainly in Huntingdon as he has 3 or 4 children there. He probably died there too as there as a death record there too in 1825.

Kind regards

Offline millertom

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 14 July 10 22:35 BST (UK) »
And where would you like your cattle?

Offline millertom

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 14 July 10 22:36 BST (UK) »
Thanks for help Wozzle

Offline suffolk*sue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 15 July 10 11:12 BST (UK) »
Hi millertom

The source where I got the information from says Old Newton HUN, which I took to mean Huntingdonshire.It would be best to check the marriage in the parish registers to see what it actually says.

PS
You can keep the cattle. ;D

Offline millertom

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 15 July 10 18:20 BST (UK) »
Thank you Sue

On next visit to Ipswich will check the register as suggested. Meantime I have fired off a query to Huntingdon RO re possible Old Newtons on their patch.

Also searched Gazeteer of British Place names for Newton with wildcard. Lots of the unsalted variety appeared which I have kept pro tem. Discarded Welsh & Scottish ones and  those with markedly different appellation eg Newton St Cyres. These retained on sieve for further investigation include:-

Cold Newton    SK7106  Leicestershire                     

Newton, Old    TM0562  Suffolk                               

Water Newton  TL1097  Huntingdonshire                       

Wold Newton   TA0473  Yorkshire, East Riding                                     

Wold Newton   TF2496  Lincolnshire                                               

Woodnewton    TL0394  Northamptonshire

Question  Did the word HUN as opposed to Hunts or Huntingdonshire appear next to any other marriages you found and what places (or other circumstances) were thus identified?               

Offline suffolk*sue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 15 July 10 19:24 BST (UK) »
Yes the word HUN appeared on the other three marriages I found. The abbreviations in my source says HUN definitely stands for Huntingdonshire.

I should wait to see the parish entry before making up your mind.