Author Topic: Surnames BURROW SELLEY  (Read 2601 times)

Offline Burrow Digger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Surnames BURROW SELLEY
« on: Thursday 31 March 05 14:40 BST (UK) »
Looking for the names BURROW & SELLEY in the Exeter, Ottery St Mary, Honiton, Honiton Clist & Aylesbeare area.

I have a major brick wall for John BURROW  married 1817 to Amy Hancock in Milverton Somerset. Family removed from Milverton back to Ottery St Mary in 1824. I cannot find anything about them before 1851 census.

If anyone knows anything or can locate any death record for John BURROW married to Amy or Emma Burrow, in OSM, please let me know. I have absolutely nothing on this fellow at all and I have been looking for more than 10 years now.

I cannot ascertain his birth information until I can get the death record - which should name his place of birth and hopefully his date of birth & his parents.

I have had no problems finding info on the children/grandchildren etc. - John & Amy BURROW had 8 children - William, Amy (aka Emma), Thomas, Abraham, Isaac, Sarah, James, Frances (aka Fanny)

James & Abraham appear to have died sometime between 1824 & 1851. The others I have found census & marriage records for.

I am also looking for Jane SELLEY from St Sidwell, Exeter. The census records in 1861 & 1881 indicate she was born in 1828. IGI shows only a Jane Selley born 1821 &  another born in 1819.  She married Isaac Burrow in 1854 (as per FreeBMD), and I am descended from their son William.  Her fathers name seems to be James. Havent got the marriage certificate yet.

Does anyone else have any connections to Selley from St Sidwell??

Burrow Digger

BD
Canada
BURROW, BICKHAM, EVANS, SULLEY, STONE - Devon
STEPHENS, MALLET, ADAMS - Cornwall
HANCOCK , BUSSON - Somerset
MCCALLUM, MCDIARMID, MCNEILL - Argyle, Scotland
WALLS, SUTHERLAND, SIMPSON - Orkney, Scotland
FAIRBAIRN - Fife, Scotland
THOMPSON - Aberdeen, Scotland

Offline Burrow Digger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Surnames BURROW SELLEY
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 28 May 05 13:48 BST (UK) »
Ok some new information

John Burrow seems to have died on 5 Feb 1839 in Ottery St Mary, aged 73. Which puts him born roughly 1766.  I have his death cert. It was signed by Emma Burrow (aka Amy) which could have been either his wife or his daughter.  Emma/Amy the daughter would have been 19 at the time of her fathers death. 

There is one John Burrow born at OSM in 1865 son of John Burrow & Susannah, and christened in 1770. No other info available.

Cant seem to find John's widow Amy/Emma Burrow nee Hancock.
Either she died between 1832 (when her last child was born) and 1837 when registration began. If thats the case she did not die in OSM coz I cant find her in the OSM burial booklets from the FHS.
Or she moved back to Milverton in Somerset, her home town, after John's death in 1839, but then I cant find her in the 1841 census for Milverton either.
I'm thinking she either moved somewhere else in England, or she might have remarried, but have no clue as to whom she could have married.

Offline Kimberley

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 17 October 05 14:46 BST (UK) »
Note your interest in surname SELLEY.An Emma Louisa SELLEY 27 widow nee BODLEY married my gt gt grandfather Edwin PHILLIPS 25 batchelor,brickmaker of Blackboy Road,St Sidwells,Exeter.Marriage at The Reisters Office 14th April 1853 (Reg: District Exeter)
Emma Louisa BODLEY of Friars Walk married John White SELLEY of Holloway Street at Holy Trinity Church,South Street,Exeter on 13th June 1847.
I believe John White SELLEY died in 1850.
1851 census shows Emma SELLEY living with her parents Charles & Ann BODLEY and son Arthur SELLEY 3 at South Street (HO107/1868/529/8)
Should this SELLEY branch be connected to your line,please contact me.
Kimberley

Offline StintonLomas

• RootsChat Senior
  • I'm a Cousin - are you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 18 October 05 12:16 BST (UK) »
Hi
Try this thread of replies to my own posting re Burrough.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,92470.0.html

There are some Clyst Hydon Burrows on there.
Malmesbury- Bishop.
Gloucestershire-Bishop,Hicks,Higgs,Hill,Hooper,Hopkins,Pitcher,Robertson,Stinton,Terret,Woodruff.
Worcestershire-Stinton. 
Devon- Borrough or Burrow.

Offline Burrow Digger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 26 October 05 22:31 BST (UK) »
Ok Well I finally found Amy Burrow - the widow - she's on the 1841 census in Ottery St Mary as Emma Lathrope having remarried James Lathrope in 1840 (1 year after her first hubby John Burrow died).  Her kids are listed as BURRUGH

Since Fanny was usually called BURROUGH in the census records, but the other kids preferred BURROW - I think that John Burrow's name was probably originally BURROUGH - but I still dont have any info about him. He's a very stubborn brick wall.

One of John's sons William moved out to Clist Honiton in the 1840s and he worked as a shepherd.  He married SArah Ball and they had 3 kids - John, Elizabeth & Henry.

1851 census

William BURROW Head M 35 M Shephard Milverton-Som
Sarah BURROW Wife M 45 F --- East Anstey-Dev
John BURROW Son - 8 M Scholar Clist Honiton-Dev
Elizabeth BURROW Daur - 6 F Scholar Clist Honiton-Dev
Henry BURROW Son - 4 M Shephards Son Clist Honiton-Dev
Address: Treasleas Cottage? No 1, Honiton Clist
Census Place: Honiton Clist Honiton Clist, Devonshire
PRO Reference: HO/107/1866 Folio: 152 Page: 3

Offline Burrow Digger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 26 October 05 22:38 BST (UK) »
Havent found any new Selley info yet - sorry. Am still looking. :(

Offline Burrow Digger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 01 December 05 21:48 GMT (UK) »
If one keeps digging, one will eventually finds what one is looking for.  ;D

Looks like my Jane Selley should actually be Jane Sulley.

She was born in St Sidwell in 1827, daughter of James Sulley & Elizabeth Roach.  They were married in 1810 and had 9 childrn, most of whom did not survive to adulthood. Including in that number were 3 girls named Jane - born 1819, 1821 (both in IGI) and 1823. The 3 surviving children were Mary Ann bn 1825, Jane (number 4 - my ancestor) bn 1827 and Elizabeth bn 1829.

My Jane was listed with her family in the 1841 census as SILLY, and in the 1851 census as SULLY. On her marriage certificate her name was written as SELLEY, and her son's marriage cert it was written as SELBY - thereby causing a brickwall for a very long time. :(  But that wall has now been smashed.  ;D

James Sulley's parents were James Sulley & Jane Brannon, who were married in 1787.

IF anyone can connect, please leave me a PM, or email me. Thanks

BD