Author Topic: Ellen Power  (Read 3935 times)

Offline fairbrook

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ellen Power
« on: Thursday 15 July 10 21:20 BST (UK) »
Ellen Power born c1852 at Fairbrook, Co Waterford, Ireland, married John Brown c1855 from Co Down?  They are my great grandparents, i know nothing at all about them, where they married?
who were their parents, etc. They are in the 1901 census for Middlesbrough, they have a daughter named Annie, born c1881 in Scotland, also a son John born c1885, born in Gateshead, Co Durham who is my grandfather. It just says born in Ireland on the census for the both of them. As there
are few records for Ireland at that time, i am struggling to find anything out. On the census it says they are the same age 46. I found Ellen on the 1911 census living back in Middlesbrough, it said
she was born in Fairbrook, Co Waterford, if it is the same one! Any help would be appreciated.

Offline johnflesher90

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Ellen Power
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 15 February 20 22:23 GMT (UK) »
I am also a descendant of Ellen Power and John Brown, through their daughter Annie, and I am struggling to find out more information about them beyond the Fairbrook reference on the 1911 census for Ellen. I would be happy to compare notes and see if we can find out any more. Best wishes, John.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 15 February 20 23:11 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat
Scotland records usually have far more information than other areas, have you got Annie's birth cert?
I don't see a marriage in Ireland, have you looked for one in Scotland?
Ideally you need at least Ellen's religion and father's name before starting to look in Ireland.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline johnflesher90

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 16 February 20 22:58 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much for your reply. Previously I'd only been relying on John Brown's (John and Ellen's son) birth certificate from Gateshead, England in 1885. After much searching, I've now found Annie and Joseph's (older brother born in 1878) birth records in Glasgow - I didn't realise that the Scottish records contained parents' marriage details.

John and Ellen were married in 1874 in Halifax, England so I have ordered their marriage certificate, which will hopefully give me fathers' names.

Can you advise on where best to look at Irish records once I've got fathers' names? I can't be 100% sure but it's very likely that they'll be Catholics.

Thanks for your help.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 16 February 20 23:57 GMT (UK) »
Civil Registration for catholics started in 1864 so you won't find any birth Certs for them so you need to rely on church records, this is why knowing their religion is important.
Fairbrook isn't a place as such (assuming I have the correct place) it was a woollen mill and later a house near Kilmeadan when I looked at the old map I think it was in the townland of Newtown, either way the local RC parish is Portlaw
https://registers.nli.ie/parishes/1117
You can't search by name on that site but Ancestry and Find My Past have transcripts if you have a sub, even without a sub to Ancestry you can use the search but it is somewhat limited that way.

If they are Church of Ireland it maybe more difficult not many COI records are online yet (work has begun) on the other hand they do have civil Certs of marriage from 1845.

For BMD use https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/civil-search.jsp
Images of Certs are free you just need to prove your not a robot and sign in.
The Church records tab on that site doesn't have Waterford records.

Offline johnflesher90

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 17 February 20 11:11 GMT (UK) »
Thanks. That's really useful. Got several Irish lines I want to trace, with limited information on each.

Offline johnflesher90

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 26 February 20 19:56 GMT (UK) »
Having got I copy of John Brown and Ellen Power's marriage record, I now have the following information:

- They were married in Halifax, England on 17th September 1874.
- John's age is listed as 26 and Ellen's as 27.
- John's father was David Brown, a farmer, who had died by the time of the marriage.
- Ellen's father was John Power, a machine woolcomber, who had died by the time of the marriage. John's job matches with Ellen's birthplace of Fairbrook which was a woollen mill.

Now trying to find baptism records for John and Ellen, based on this.