Author Topic: drapers shop stirling  (Read 15452 times)

Offline Fergie38

• RootsChat Veteran
  • There's only one eF in Ferguson
    • View Profile
Re: drapers shop stirling
« Reply #9 on: Monday 19 July 10 23:05 BST (UK) »
Don't know if these direct liks will work but its worth a try

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee209/38fergie/Stirling%20Ariel%20Shots/02bArielPhotoofStirling900.jpg

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee209/38fergie/Stirling%20Ariel%20Shots/02bphotoofStirlingc-u.jpg

I don't have any access to trade directories. Perhaps another RootsChatter could help with that.
Ferguson (Stirling & Parish of Kincardine) Stevenson (Bannockburn) Cowan (Stirling) McLean (Glasgow,  Dundee & Skye)

Offline hilarygunn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 20 July 10 08:11 BST (UK) »
The links worked brilliantly, thankyou. It certainly looks like the same building in the close up photo and I presume the big store was one of the two large buildings to the left of the one I'm interestsed in. I'm wondering now if he may have been in partnership with them and decided to branch out on his own. I wish I knew why the big leap to Yorkshire though. he kept a diary in the 1920s and 30s but there's nothing about his early life at all.
Still, it just makes the challenge more interesting doesn't it.
I'll post a new message about Trade Directories and see if anyone has one.
Thanks again for all your help, you've certainly moved me on a step or two, if I can do anything in return please let me know,
Hilary

Offline Fergie38

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 20 July 10 10:14 BST (UK) »
Glad to be of help Hilary.

If my aging memory serves me right, those building were demolished in the early 1950s. I'm sure there was lots of mention in the local newspapers about the demise of 'McCulloch & Young'.
Stirling Archives Dept could possibly assist you there. Maybe one of the newspapers carried a brief history of the company.

Cheers.
Ferguson (Stirling & Parish of Kincardine) Stevenson (Bannockburn) Cowan (Stirling) McLean (Glasgow,  Dundee & Skye)

Offline Fergie38

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 30 July 10 21:25 BST (UK) »
Hilary.
I was speaking to a local historian yesterday and he reckoned that 'McCulloch & Young' was the original trading name of the shop but from shortly after its founding, the company had been run by the McCulloch family alone.

Just thought that might be of interest.

Cheers.

Offline hilarygunn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 31 July 10 08:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks, that agrees with another little snippet of information I have. After your help I e mailed the library in Stirling and they were very helpful and were able to tell me that Robert McCulloch and Robert Young set up the busness in 1893 but by 1899 Robert Young had "retired". My italics there because I suspect they parted for other unknown reasons as he was only in his 30s and went on to open a shop in Yorkshire in 1904. I am still intrigued as to why I can't find him anywhere for certain in the 1901 census and I'd love to know where he worked before they opened the Stirling shop. I'll keep chipping away and maybe all the little bits of information will add up to a full picture one day.
Thankyou again for continuing to keep me informed when you find something - much appreciated
Hilary

Offline Fergie38

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 02 August 10 19:58 BST (UK) »
Came across these two portions on an advert from 1948.

The shop address is given as 'King St' but the shop was most definitely in 'Baker St'
As the shop was reasonably close to King St it could be that they were trying to raise their image by claiming to be in a shoping area considered to be more 'upmarket' than Baker St.

Cheers.

Offline hilarygunn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 07 August 10 17:07 BST (UK) »
Interesting!. Thanks, every little helps. Sorry I've taken a while to reply but I've been away for  the week  - back now and ready to get searching some more
Hilary

Offline stirling76

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 18 September 10 12:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Fergie,

you don't happen to have these photos without the arrows do you.
I have the aerial one but the quality is not a good as your one.
I am particulary looking for any good quality photos of Baker Street, as I am to give a wee talk about it next year.

many thanks,
Stewart

Don't know if these direct liks will work but its worth a try

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee209/38fergie/Stirling%20Ariel%20Shots/02bArielPhotoofStirling900.jpg

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee209/38fergie/Stirling%20Ariel%20Shots/02bphotoofStirlingc-u.jpg

I don't have any access to trade directories. Perhaps another RootsChatter could help with that.

Stirling in Scotland, Baker Street in Stirling.
Donaldson from Thornhill
Stewart from Whins of Milton
McAra from Whins of Milton

Offline Fergie38

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 18 September 10 13:55 BST (UK) »
Hello Srewart.

Could you PM me with an email address as I think I could send a better quality copy that way rather than me posting them here and then you having to download them.

do you want full page copies or selected detail scans. Or both if you wish. Just tell me what you want.

Cheers.