Author Topic: drapers shop stirling  (Read 15451 times)

Offline Fergie38

• RootsChat Veteran
  • There's only one eF in Ferguson
    • View Profile
Re: drapers shop stirling
« Reply #18 on: Friday 01 October 10 20:59 BST (UK) »
Photos sent to your email address Stewart.

Cheers.
Ferguson (Stirling & Parish of Kincardine) Stevenson (Bannockburn) Cowan (Stirling) McLean (Glasgow,  Dundee & Skye)

Offline stirling76

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 03 October 10 07:44 BST (UK) »
Robert

Received the photos, exactly what I'm looking for, many thanks.
I'll email you with details.

Stewart
Stirling in Scotland, Baker Street in Stirling.
Donaldson from Thornhill
Stewart from Whins of Milton
McAra from Whins of Milton

Offline robertsix

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 18 October 10 05:21 BST (UK) »
Hilary

Robert Young (McCullough & Young) was my grandfather.  My father (Robert Anderson Young 1910-2004) always told me that grandfather had started off with McCullough in Stirling but I'm fairly certain didn't know of any rift c.1899.  Neither did he ever say anything about the "missing years " up to the time he arrived in Normanton c 1907/8. My father was the only boy in his family of 7. My aunts were Mary, Margaret, Nancy, Jean, Bessie and.... Cathy who married a Douglas (Duggie) Gunn....  !!
Hmmm.. I wonder !!

Regards

Robert

Offline hilarygunn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 18 October 10 09:01 BST (UK) »
Hello Robert, this is amazing. My husband, John, is Cathy's son and we were with Bessie on Friday last week. She is the only one of them still living and she is 94 now. She actually explained the rift in the partnership to us as being over a woman (what else could it have been except money?) Apparently Mr McCullough married the girl that Robert wanted and also wanted to bring her into the business so Robert decided to leave. Why Leeds, which was where he went to first we have no idea. He married Eva Ward in 1908 and started the shop in Normanton at about the same time, although I don't have a definite date for that.
I have been researching both our families for about a year now and have accumulated quite a bit of information, most of which is on Ancestry.com, are you doing the same or were you just browsing?
My e mail address is
(*)
if you would like to get in touch off this site.

Looking forward to hearing from you
Hilary

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline Fergie38

• RootsChat Veteran
  • There's only one eF in Ferguson
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 18 October 10 10:04 BST (UK) »
Isn't it great when things come together.. :)
Ferguson (Stirling & Parish of Kincardine) Stevenson (Bannockburn) Cowan (Stirling) McLean (Glasgow,  Dundee & Skye)

Offline hilarygunn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 18 October 10 10:35 BST (UK) »
It is indeed, and a lot of that is thanks to you and your generosity - so thank you.

Offline robertsix

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 19 October 10 04:30 BST (UK) »
Hilary

Quite incredible!    John and I used to play as very small children in the long back garden at "The Laurels"  ?   I fear though that further family matters will be of little interest to other site visitors!  I need one more post after this to qualify for personal messaging, then we can exchange email addresses.   By the way, did you see a copy of the marriage certificate to Eva Ward?   I thought that Mary arrived (1909?)  before they were married.
   Like you, I think that people who wrote about the shop in Stirling have been extremely helpful and most kind.

Robert

Offline hilarygunn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 19 October 10 09:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Robert, I don't have the marriage cert but the marriage is registered on the GRO for the Dec Quarter of 1908 in Hunslet, Leeds which is where they were living in the 1911 census. In that census he says that Mary is 1 and your dad is 9 months and that they have been married for 2 years. I have Mary's birth as Jun 4th 1909 but I'm not sure which of her birthdays that is. Years ago when my eldest daughter was a baby and I used to call in on her regularly at Church Lane she told me she had two birthdays - the one she'd always celebrated as her birthday and the one she found out about as an adult when she applied for a passport or something. so there was definitely a discrepancy of a few months but unless I send for the certs i won't know for sure.
I have already sent you a PM with my e mail address on so as soon as you can access it we can swap more details.
Would I be correct in assuming you're not based in England or are you a night owl - based on the times of your postings!
Hilary

Offline Candlelight

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 27 June 12 23:24 BST (UK) »
Not sure if you still check in here, but my great grandfather and grandfather made up the McCulloch part of the business.