Author Topic: drapers shop stirling  (Read 15454 times)

Offline Candlelight

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: drapers shop stirling
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 27 June 12 23:28 BST (UK) »
My knowledge of the business is limited.  I understood McCulloch took over/bought out Young, but if there was a woman involved then probably I wouldn't be here to write this...?!

Offline Candlelight

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 27 June 12 23:30 BST (UK) »
It was interesting to see photos of the business.  I believe it evolved into quite a large department store.

Offline hilarygunn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 28 June 12 09:18 BST (UK) »
Hi, I haven't checked in for ages but the site sent me a message. Good to hear from you. I don't know much about the McCullochs but you're definitely right about the shop going on to be a big store.
I had an e mail from Stirling Library where they have a booklet issued by the firm. It says that Robert McCulloch came from Galloway to work in a drapers shop. A few years later in 1893 he went into partnership with Robert Young and they started their own business. Six years later (1899) Robert Young retired from the business.
It uses the word "retired" but he was only a young man and came to England and started again.
McCulloch and Young had shops in King St, Baker St and Spittal St.

In 1897 Robert Young was living at 30 Nelson Place, Stirling and Robert McCulloch was at 12 Nelson Place.

At the time I was looking into this I did do some research into the McCulloch family, which I haven't kept unfortunately. I was looking for dates of his marriage to see if our Robert was jilted or was the not chosen one of the two of them,(which was what the family always said)  but Robert McCulloch and his wife were married long before this time as far as I can recall.
Family stories have always said he left the partnership over a woman but you can never be sure about them, it could have been anything I suppose. I did suspect a less than honourable liaison between our Robert and Mr McCulloch's wife but who knows? It all seems to have worked out in the end anyway.

If you want to know anything about our Robert please ask and if you can add anything to my knowledge of their circumstances in Stirling I would be greatful,

Hilary

Offline stirling76

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 28 June 12 10:47 BST (UK) »
Hi, I'm glad to see this thread has opened up again as I have a bit of knowledge regarding the McCulloch and Young shop.
Candlelight, you are correct, it was a very large department store.
Hilary, you note that they had shops in King Street, Baker Street and Spittal Street, in fact this was one large store that encompassed all these locations, but yes there was entrances to the store from all these addresses. In fact you could enter from Spittal Street and exit from Baker Street.
As the firm expanded, they bought the shops on either side and and extended through to them, making one large shop. The department store was the shape of a triangle, starting from behind the steeple in King Street extending up both Spittal Street and Baker Street.

I have a fairly extensive collection of photographs of Baker Street which I've managed to collect over the years, and I have added one showing what I mean by a collection of shops at the site.
This pic shows the three main fronts, at the top of King Street and 3 - 5 Baker Street, this is what the McCulloch and Young Department store actually looked like. I have other pics, and I think I just might have one looking at the back of the store, I see if I can locate that.

I can remember the shop quite vividly in the 50's, my mother worked as a cook there, and in fact it was just like a rabbitt warren inside.

Stewart

Stirling in Scotland, Baker Street in Stirling.
Donaldson from Thornhill
Stewart from Whins of Milton
McAra from Whins of Milton

Offline hilarygunn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 28 June 12 11:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Stewart, I'd just seen references to the street names without realising it was the one shop - down to not knowing the geography of Stirling I suppose.

Thanks also for the photo, it must have been quite impressive in its day,

Hilary

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • GG gf Robert. Born Ireland 1865. Died USA 1941.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 28 June 12 11:51 BST (UK) »
Stirling76,do you have any old photos showing roughly where 32 or 35 Baker St. were.From a previous post I know from information you provided I had rellies at both,late 1800's/early 1900s.
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.
YORKSHIRE: Cudworth Smith Cope Coulton Hainsworth

Offline stirling76

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 28 June 12 12:32 BST (UK) »
I found this flyer of McCulloch and Young and it shows just how large the department store really was. As I previously said, it extended up Spittal Street and from King Street to Baker Street. This shows the 'triangle' perfectly.

Seoras, I'll have a look, but I've got a funny feeling that 32 was Dalgleish Court, I'll check that up and see, as for 35, I lived at 23 and I think 35 might have been the close next to Nimmo's shop just down from Bank Street. I think I might have pics of both location, let me see what I turn up over the next couple of days.

Stewart

Stirling in Scotland, Baker Street in Stirling.
Donaldson from Thornhill
Stewart from Whins of Milton
McAra from Whins of Milton

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • GG gf Robert. Born Ireland 1865. Died USA 1941.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 28 June 12 14:01 BST (UK) »
Cheers Stirling,I have yet to follow my GG gran's brothers,it's possible some of their descendents stayed in Stirling.My last direct line there died in 1902 in Stirling,though I was born in Stirlingshire ;)
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.
YORKSHIRE: Cudworth Smith Cope Coulton Hainsworth

Offline hilarygunn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 28 June 12 15:12 BST (UK) »
And thanks again from me for another interesting picture,

Hilary