Author Topic: 1846 Immigration Records Needed From Ireland to Kincardin (Bruce County) Ontario  (Read 8110 times)

Offline RobinsonC

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Trying the find what happened to my ancestor Robert Robinson in 1846 when he and his family (Wife Faith Nox, kids James, Ann, Mary and Jane) immigrated to Kincardin. Been to Kincardin to research but no records are available ie census, and ownership etc.. Have little info on Robert other than "he came with his family to Kincardin and went back to Fermanagh County to reclaim what was left of his holdings"--but have no proof to validate this story.

I am seriously stuck here and am looking for ANY leads or information to help my research. Dad has been trying for many years to research his trail but all we have founf are travel claims in Bruce county.
Robinson. Stuck at Robert Robinson and wife Faith Nox (Knox) immigrated to Kincardin Onatrio in 1846. No info before or after.. See post for more information.

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1846 Immigration Records Needed From Ireland to Kincardin (Bruce County) Ontario
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 July 10 02:09 BST (UK) »
The 1851 census is available free to search here  www.automatedgenealogy.com

I don't see the family in 1851 but in 1861 Faith Robinson, 56, b. Ireland, widow is living in Kincardine with son James, 17, b. Ireland.  There are a number of Robinson's enumerated directly above her entry.
Jeanette Robinson, farmer 65, b. Ire. widow
Thomas 23. b. Ire
Ann 43 b. Ire
Arch'd , farmer, 35, b. Ire married to Jean 31, b. Ire with children
Ann 6, b. Cda  Eliza 5 b. Cda  Mary 4 b. Cda and Arch'd 2 b. Cda

On the 1871 census Kincardine Faith Robinson, 63, b. Ire. widow is living with daughter Anne and her family.
Thomas Robinson 30 b. Ire with wife Anne Robinson 28 b. Ire and child Faith 8 b. Ont.

Ann Robinson d/o Robert and Faith married 30 Nov 1862 Bruce County to Thomas Robinson s/o Archibald and Janet Robinson.

You can use the free census at www.collectionscanada (1881 and 1891) and the 1901 and 1911 available at the first link to track the family.

Online ancestry tree shows Ann's death 24 May 1921.

There is a marriage for James Robinson s/o Robert and Faith 9 Oct 1871 to Jeannie Phewfelt.  The same online ancestry tree corrects the name to Jennet Catherine Shewfelt and gives his death as 25 Aug 1917 Algoma.  This death record gives parents as Archibald Robinson and Faith Knox.

I didn't find Faith robinson in the 1881 census.
Debbie

Offline JDC

• RootsChat User
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • In the dog house again
    • View Profile
Re: 1846 Immigration Records Needed From Ireland to Kincardin (Bruce County) Ontario
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 July 10 05:14 BST (UK) »
Good evening,

Have you looked at Find My Past site for passenger list. Sometimes I find reference to family members on passengers list in FindMyPast (free part) and then go to National Archives of Canada to get the image (free part). Hop that helps,

JDC
Carpenter - B'ham Warwick,
Cole - Devon
Coy - Germany
Langmaid - Cornwall & Hants
Rayment - Herts & Kent
Holt - ? England

Offline RobinsonC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Have looked thru all the records that have been posted here. Still trying to find out when/where Robert, Faith and children immigrated to. Did they go to Kincardine right away or immigrate somewhere else then make thier way there???
Robinson. Stuck at Robert Robinson and wife Faith Nox (Knox) immigrated to Kincardin Onatrio in 1846. No info before or after.. See post for more information.

Offline JDC

• RootsChat User
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • In the dog house again
    • View Profile
Hi RobinsonC

Kincardine in in Bruce County.  Below are links to the Genealogy group, public library, and Archives of Ontario. Perhaps someone at each of these may be able to help you out.

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~onbcgs/bcgstwpkincardine.htm
http://library.brucecounty.on.ca/branches/
http://www.archives.gov.on.ca/

Cheers, JDC
Cole - Devon
Coy - Germany
Rayment - Herts & Kent
Holt - ? England

Offline JDC

• RootsChat User
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • In the dog house again
    • View Profile
Good day again,

I was just thinking about your ancestor again and thought about the migration of people from Norfolk Co,  which was quite a bit larger than it is now, to Huron and Bruce counties. There was a significant number of people that moved from Norfolk to these 2 counties about that time. Perhaps your Robinson were in Norfolk Co. somewhere prior to thier move to Kincardine?  Just a thought.

JDC
Cole - Devon
Coy - Germany
Rayment - Herts & Kent
Holt - ? England

Offline RobinsonC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Very mush appreciated!! Will check out those venues. JDC I notied you have Holt in your name interests.. May be of help there if you like. Have records and many pictures of my family history on the Holt side from Lindridge Worcestershire, England (Jospeh Holt b.1810).

Offline JDC

• RootsChat User
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • In the dog house again
    • View Profile
Hi Robinson,

Thx for the offer regarding my Holts. I don't know where you are located, but I have traced my Holt ancestors settling/residing in the Norfolk,Oxford & Middlesex counties in Ontario from Keene Valley, NY from VT, CT & Maine in USA. As far as I can tell, I am descendended from Nicholas and Elizabeth (nee Short) Holt who arrived in Boston from England sailing on the "James of London" in 1635 and then settled in Andover, CT. No one seems to know where in England Nicholas came from, but family rumour has it he is son of Sir John Holt. My Holt origins seem to be a mystery.

But - let's try and tackle down your ancestors here. Let us know if you find any info from those sources we have given you. I have some friends that live in Bruce Co. that may be able to help if we get stuck.

I am thinking that the public or university libraries in London Ontario might have some info as well since London is a major city in that area between Kincardine and Norfolk Co.where many of the migrants would have passed thru there and I believe (if not mistake) that London was within the then Norfolk Co. borders. I am not sure when the county lines were shifted and London became part of Middlesex Co..

Hope this is of help to you.

JDC
Cole - Devon
Coy - Germany
Rayment - Herts & Kent
Holt - ? England

Offline loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 17 March 11 07:11 GMT (UK) »
I think you are right that they might have passed through London.  It has, I believe, always been in Middlesex County.  Before they were counties, they were Districts, which were much larger.  I can't remember which District London was iin though.  I think it was maybe the Western District.

Londn Public Library does have quite a bit of stuff but it does not collect much re: Bruce County.  University of Western Ontario has good library and archival collections, but you would need to be there in person to look at them. 

FYI, Kincardine was originally known as Penetangore, but I don't know when they changed the name.

You could check the newspaper microfilm list online at Archives of Ontario and see what newspaper served the area in that time perid, if any, and if it has been preserved.  You could then order the microfilm and spend a lot of hours pouring thrugh it for mention of your ancestor.

I think though that you would have to get very lucky to find something more, if you don't think the census info that you were given earlier is relevant.
ARMSTRONG - Castleton Scot; NB; Westminstr Twp
BARFIELD - Nailsea
BRAKE - Nailsea
BURIATTE
CANDY - M'sex, Deptford
CLIFFORD - Maidstone
DURE(E) - France, Devon, Canada
HALLS - Chigwell
KREIN, Peter/Adam - Germany
LEOPOLD - Hanover, London
LATTIMER, MAXWELL - Ldn lightermen
MEYER - Lauenstein