Author Topic: Mental Hospital Ratcliffe on Trent  (Read 25166 times)

Offline Auntie G

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mental Hospital Ratcliffe on Trent
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 11 March 12 11:34 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that Bob. I have written to Notts Archives to see if they have anything..
I have googled but there's nothing there not already discusssed.

Offline Dizzifish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 11 March 12 20:42 GMT (UK) »
Hello..... :)

Welcome to Rootschat!

Here is the link to some of what Nottinghamshire Archives have re the hospital that eventually became Saxondale....

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/a2a/records.aspx?cat=157-soho1&cid=0#0

It is likely that the years you need may be restricted, I discovered the records I need will have to wait another ten years!

Sheila.

Offline mardigras

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 23 April 12 11:29 BST (UK) »
Can I just add....my grandmother worked as a helper of nurses in this hospital - sometime in the 1950s......a lady by the name of violet left this hospital as a patient there and moved in with my granparents for many years. As far as I was told there was nothing mentally wrong with her - she just had a withered arm - that is all. So I can only presume that there were other 'non mental' patients there.

Incidentially, my grandmother was fired from there due to a patient falling in the bath I believe for negligence however this wasnt a job she should have been doing in her role. I think it left a bitter taste in her mouth as she was a very caring person. They had a small holding nearby which was since knocked down and has a modern housing estate on it.

Offline Luckymum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 21 June 12 12:42 BST (UK) »
Hello
I was very interested in reading this thread, as i am trying to find out about my paternal grandmother who was in Saxondale hospital from approx 1942, until she died in 1981.
My dad was a little boy when she went in, and he never really knew why she was admitted. I have sent the forms off to the Nottinghamshire Archives, and am waiting for them to do some research for me.
I was particularly interested as to whether 'URSA MAJOR' could remember her, a long time ago, i know!
Her name was Christiana Morley, but I think they called her Christine.

Thanks
Luckymum X

Offline Denise Routledge

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 10 May 18 18:19 BST (UK) »
Hi I was at saxondale at that time well early 80’s I think chrissy was on Linby ward if she is the lady you are asking about I looked after her my Mum worked there long I will ask her next time I see her xx

Offline Luckymum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Friday 11 May 18 09:51 BST (UK) »
Hello!
Thanks for your reply, She could have been called Chrissy, I’m not sure, I’ll ask my dad. I would be grateful for any other info you or your Mum can remember.. a long time ago, I know!
I did get some info from Nottingham archives, not much really, but just to say she went into saxondale as she was suffering from ‘meloncoly’! Just a for of depression I think, but I guess they didn’t know much about it then. Also it was wartime, and my grandfather was away in the army. X lucky Mum (nicola) X