Author Topic: Mental Hospital Ratcliffe on Trent  (Read 25171 times)

Offline malc2202

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mental Hospital Ratcliffe on Trent
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 25 July 10 16:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jane for your reply.

As always this site is perfect for getting different opnions on a subject and this has given me a little more to go on.
My Grandad was living at 2 Clubb street Sutton in Ashfield,which would have run from the Bottom of the Idlewells shopping centre up to the top which leads to the bus station .
This was stated from his Death cert issued after his death at the Mental hospital and the person who was present at death was, H.C.Walds? who was the Medical Superintendant at the time.
His widow, my Grandma went onto remarry 2 years later and she lived until 1950.

Once more thankyou all for the replys.
Malc

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 25 July 10 17:29 BST (UK) »
Hi

These are the records for Saxondale Hospital held at Nottinghamshire Archives.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/hospitalrecords/details.asp?id=2517&hospital=nottingham&town=&searchdatabase.x=90&searchdatabase.y=10

His clinical records would be classed as sensitive so you would need to prove you are a close descendant to have some or all of them opened (this is likely to involve documentary proof). It would be worth enquiring with Nottinghamshire Archives under the Freedom of Information Act.

If his body was claimed by his relatives when he died then you should search in cemeteries where they lived for where he might be buried. Otherwise the asylum would have him buried either in the nearest local civic cemetery to the asylum, or if the asylum had its own burial ground then there.

A major cause of 'general paralysis of the insane' was syphilis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_paresis_of_the_insane

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline malc2202

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 26 July 10 21:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Valda,

It looks more and more like i shall have to contact the Nottingham archives and try and get his details if it is possible as to why/reason he was at the Hospital.
I would assume i am the closest of kin now as my dad was the only child, in regards of proof i have my birth cert with the details of my father and my fathers birth cert from 1926 which has his fathers and mothers details on it.I also have the marriage cert from 1919 of my grandad who was in the mental hospital.I would hope these would suffice to prove my relationship with my granddad,hopefully it would have been my grandma, his wife who would have been the next of kin on his details when he entered the hospital.
I have tried the Sutton in Ashfield cemetery site and upto a year after the date he died and there is no sign of his burial ,so it would appear he was buried locally to the mental hospital.

Once again thanks for your time and reply.
Malc.

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 27 July 10 08:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Malc

You may have to prove your father's death as well and possibly your grandmother's even though the latter is more obviously likely to be deceased. Both would be nearer in relationship than yourself and the record office may wish to be assured that neither are still alive. Individual record offices all have slightly different policies and interpretations when it comes to sensitive records well under the 100 year ruling but which can be applied for under the Freedon of Information Act.

Judging by some of the records Nottinghamshire Archives holds, Saxondale Hospital may have had a burial ground.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/a2a/records.aspx?cat=157-soho1&cid=32-7&kw=Nottinghamshire%20Archives#32-7

This record in the list which is probably now extremely hard to find a copy of may also be of interest

"Saxondale Memories: personal history of a Nottinghamshire Hospital, 1902-1988", compiled by David Lowe, published by Nottingham Health Authority  SO/HO/1/50/2/4  Apr 1988

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 31 July 10 23:54 BST (UK) »
Hi

As Saxondale was in the County I would try Wilford Hill for burials/cremations first. You could try the Cemetery Officer at Notts County Council,

http://www.nottinghamshire.gov.uk/atoz-cemeteries?LGSL=335&LGIL=8

The local council is

http://www.rushcliffe.gov.uk

I hope this helps

Kind regards

Jane

Notts: Burrows, Comery, Foster, Beeson.
Derbys: Burrows, Comery, Smith  Lincs: King. 

Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Pat Byrne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 02 August 10 14:56 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jane

I will try Willford Cemetery but i have a sneaking feeling he may have been buried on site at the Mental hospital.

Malc.

Offline lisbon05

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 02 August 10 15:14 BST (UK) »
 Hi there
 It could be that he suffered from dementia or another kind of degenerative illness. At that time many older people were admitted to Mental Hospitals with these conditions and often they died of something totally unrelated, although bronchial pneumonia/ congestion/ heart failure was often put on the death certificate.
Saxondale ( Radcliffe on Trent ) would have been the County Asylum for Nottinghamshire of which Sutton in Ashfield is a part.
 Hope this helps.
 Annette
I need a little advice here please,

I have just recieved my grandads death certificate dated 1931,it says he died at the Mental Hosital in Radcliffe on Trent.
What i would hope someone could answer is why would he have been there, was it because he had become a lunatic?
It says on the death cert that he had died from (a) Pulmonary Congestion (b) Chronic Bronchitus.
it puzzles me because his occupation states he was from Sutton in Ashfield.
Would he have just gone there for health care or was he classed has a lunatic.
Many thanks for any answers /Suggestions.
Malc
Gordon ( Scotland& Ireland)
Donnelly ( Scotland & Ireland)
Southcott ( Devon)
Banfield ( Somerset & Wales)

Offline willsy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 08 August 10 21:12 BST (UK) »
It's now been converted into flats and houses, not far from me if you would like some photo's modern day

Willsy

Ward, Newark (Nottingham), Leicester, Scarborough
Warren, Northampton, Leicester
Moore, Leicestershire
Hunt, Leicestershire
Kirkman, Leicestershire
Hurst, Leicester, Stowmarket
Kendrick, Leicestershire
Eld, Leicestershire
Essex Edey/Eady Elsden/Elsdon

Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright from National Archives

Offline malc2202

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 10 August 10 07:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Willsy

That would be brilliant if you could get me some modern photos of what the hospital has turned into, you say into housing.....
I am still struggling to find the time to pop to the Nottingham archives to do some more research into my grandad and the reasons behind him being there, what with work and other commitments...

Cheers Malc.