Author Topic: Scarborough - Mast Yard, Porritt's Yard - Photos of Area  (Read 7799 times)

Offline h4z3l

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Scarborough - Mast Yard, Porritt's Yard - Photos of Area
« on: Saturday 17 July 10 14:24 BST (UK) »
Hello,

My ancestor lived in Mast Yard in 1930s, which no longer exists but from an old map it ran off Sandside towards Quayside near to Porritt's Yard and Porritt's Lane. It appears to have been a small yard of 5/6 dwellings.

I have attached an extract from the old map; Mast Yard was perhaps somewhere behind/underneath what is now Scarborough Engineers Ltd. I have looked around this spot on google maps, using street view and see there are some original buildings in the area but I cannot get to the area where the yards were.

Is anyone able to let me photos of the "yards areas". Either old or new photos would give me some idea of what the buildings may have been like?

Thank You

Hazel

Offline weenie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Scarborough - Mast Yard, Porritt's Yard - Photos of Area
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 July 10 14:44 BST (UK) »
hi hazel, just after porrits yard, on your map is there another street name close by, or above quayside what is the street above. its just so i can pin point it even more,
Names i am researching are: Riley, Peaker, Jones,Smith, Dobson, Ford, Humphries, Cross, Peckston, Power, Raby, Raper, Snipe Hulse, Whelan, Darling, Morton, Wild, Moss, Ibbotson, Grimes, Broadbelt, Jowett, Nicholson
Areas of interest: Leeds, Castleford, Wakefield, Kent, Westham, Northumberland, Lancashire, Pontefract,  Flintshire, Liverpool

Offline weenie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 July 10 14:58 BST (UK) »
its ok ive pinpointed it now, just looking around my photos,
Names i am researching are: Riley, Peaker, Jones,Smith, Dobson, Ford, Humphries, Cross, Peckston, Power, Raby, Raper, Snipe Hulse, Whelan, Darling, Morton, Wild, Moss, Ibbotson, Grimes, Broadbelt, Jowett, Nicholson
Areas of interest: Leeds, Castleford, Wakefield, Kent, Westham, Northumberland, Lancashire, Pontefract,  Flintshire, Liverpool

Offline weenie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 25 July 10 11:16 BST (UK) »
i couldnt find my other pics but i took some of where it would have been for you,

this is where it would have been the bins part is where Porritt's Yard would have been its Private back yards now, and the other photo is down the side of the engineer place, where mast yard would have been

sorry i have not been able to help you any further

weenie

ps i am trying to upload my pics for you but i think they are too big and dont know how to make them smaller in size ?

Offline weenie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 25 July 10 11:48 BST (UK) »
these are the pics

Offline appleby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 29 July 10 17:23 BST (UK) »
Hello
I lived in Porrits Yard, and also in Parkin lane, the second picture you were sent.
I have attached a couple of postcards which may interest you.
The houses in Wartons Yrd are still there but the access was pinched by the brewery who own the GoldenBall pub.

Offline h4z3l

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 06 September 10 12:08 BST (UK) »
Hello Weenie & Appleby,

I am truly very, very grateful to you both for the trouble you have taken. The postcards are especially interesting as they give me an idea of what these yards were like and photos from Weenie show me how things have changed.

I am sorry for the delay in acknowledging your responses to my request. I usually get an email notification from Rootschat to say when some new activity is posted but for some reason this did not happen. I have only today rechecked.

Regards

Hazel

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 16 November 13 02:18 GMT (UK) »
There is a picture from the Max Payne Collection on Facebook, looking from the outer harbour wall across the inner harbour wall right into the area of the front you are looking for circa 1895. A general view of course, but it certainly gives a 'feel' of what the area was like not that many years before your relative was living there.

I hope the link works for you. It is the Old Scarborough Photo Archive on Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=449910181746375&set=pb.134773739926689.-2207520000.1384567960.&type=3&theater

The archive is worth looking through.

Philip
Northumberland; Johnson, Johnston, Dodds, Rutherford, Gray, Kennedy, Wilson, Sanderson, Davidson and other Border Marauders as they are discovered on this journey.
Berkshire; Knight, Bristor, Sharpe, Sharp, Ashley.
Suffolk / Essex; Perce, Pearce, Pearse, Pierce, Hayes.
Midlands; Hodgetts, Parker, Easthope.

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Scarborough - Mast Yard, Porritt's Yard - Parkin's Lane
« Reply #8 on: Monday 17 December 18 17:44 GMT (UK) »
I have connections with Mast Yard, Parkin's Lane and Porrits Lane, so thank you all.

Martin