Author Topic: DAWE Family (Dicheat Manor)  (Read 8970 times)

Offline LyndaNZ1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: DAWE Family (Dicheat Manor)
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 12 September 10 20:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Rebecca,
My please google "The Cyclopedia of New Zealand",  Canterbury District, William Hill Dawe, and you will find a photo and biograghy of my great great grandfther William Hill Dawe b 1835.  He had 7 children, one of which being my great grandfather Charles Rupert Algernon Dawe (see photo attached) My grandfather was Allan Murray Dawe,  (also one of 7 children) and my mother  is Barbara Ramsay (nee Dawe) one of 12 children. I have 30 Dawe cousins.
I would be interested to know just how we are related?  Was Charles Richard Dawe b. 1834 your ancestor?  And how did the family come to lose the Manor House?
regards from your distant cousin in New Zealand (where is it Spring and there is blossom on the  trees)
Lynda Ramsay

Offline xxxmiffyxxx

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 13 September 10 07:35 BST (UK) »
hi
thanks loads
iam related to William Hill Dawe
we lost the manor because my great great uncle didnt trust his heir so he sold the lot as we onwed a church and pub as well. my grandad remebers living in Ditcheat Manor.
well he in england it is autum and cold

rebecca

Offline xxxmiffyxxx

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 13 September 10 07:56 BST (UK) »
Sorry - my grandad knew the last family member, Jessie who lived in the manor house as a child.My dad also remembers her. Unfortunately her father ( Charles Hill Dawe b 1865) was the one who sold the manor house as he didn't like Jessie's ( his only issue) husband. Charles was probably right as Jessie's husband committed suicide.

The manor house is still there although we think it has been converted into flats for old people.

Our direct ancestor is Charles Dawe b 1789 who was the father of Charles Dawe b 1834, your ancestor William Dawe and Edmund Marriot Dawe. Down the line, my great great grandad was also called William Hill Dawe b 1869 and he was the second son so had no inheritance rights to the manor!

The family left here is not large with most living in Wales
, my great grandmother Gwyneth Dawe had one son who in turn had one son ( my dad). Kathleen Dawe had 2 daughters and they each had two children. I have two sets of cousins in Wales who are descended from them. The other Dawe children had no children themselves.

We have China from the Manor House which has the old family crest on it - it was split between the family on Jessie's death.

Hope this information is useful 

Rebecca

Offline Debs1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 19 September 17 11:53 BST (UK) »
Hi.
I stumbled across this post this morning because lastnight I had just returned from staying in the Manor Inn...Ditcheat  Somerset..
I'm intrigued to read about its history which is when I found this chat room..
I have photos of the Manor Inn..
My son moved there 5 months ago and works in there...it's gorgeous..
There's  about 5 bedrooms to stay in..it's a lovely bar which does beautiful food...I loved it out there...
I'm back home in Essex now .
Feel free to get in touch if you want to see any updated photos ...

Offline Ditcheat Manor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 21 January 18 13:22 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I'm the new owner of The Manor House in Ditcheat. I do have some information with regards the Dawes.

Regards

Andrew

Offline Debs1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 21 January 18 14:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Andrew

That's a beautiful house you have there...my son told me new people had moved in ....might bump into you on our next visit to Ditcheat..

Debbie.

Offline Ditcheat Manor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 22 January 18 19:07 GMT (UK) »
Deb,

When you are down, do make yourself known to us. We are in 2-3 nights a week.

Andrew

Offline Debs1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 23 January 18 07:58 GMT (UK) »
That's very kind of you Andrew .
I found this site on my return home from Ditcheat last September;  we stayed at the manor inn, my son Richard works in there ...he showed us around the village and pointed out the manor house..
It's beautiful....hope your settling in well..
We are returning in may to see Richard.
Hopefully the people above will see your message and get in touch with you ..sounds like a lot of history behind your house..
Take care
Debbie

Offline LyndaNZ1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 16 February 19 02:47 GMT (UK) »
Kia Ora from New Zealand!  This is a message for Andrew who has identified himself as the new Owner of Ditcheat Manor House.  Above on the string of conversation on this site, you can see some correspondence that I had with a Dawe relative named Rebecca in 2010.  I have just looked at this site again because my husband and I are coming to Ditcheat in late June/ early July of 2019 and have booked 8 nights staying at Trap House Air BnB using this as our base to explore Somerset and surrounds.  So far as I know, no member of the New Zealand Dawe family has been back to the Manor house since my Great Great Grandfather William Hill Dawe left England in 1855.  I would be profoundly grateful to visit the Manor house where my family lived from 1669 until (I think) some time in the 1930's
Warm Regards
Lynda Ramsay, Waimate New Zealand