Author Topic: William Lloyd  (Read 6870 times)

Offline handi

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Lloyd
« Reply #9 on: Friday 18 May 12 17:39 BST (UK) »
Hi, Handi,
Thank you for your message of yesterday, re. Frank Lloyd. I would be very interested in the details. I was doing the research on the Lloyd family for a distance relative of my wife. I have, so far traced the family back to 1800, so quite willing to supply you with any info. I have collected. It has been a few months since I looked at the Lloyd family, so you have spurred me on !!
RobPhill

looking forward to what you have so i can add it all together, let me know who it is you were doing the research for as it could be a long lost someone or another....

Offline RobPhill

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: William Lloyd
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 19 May 12 08:43 BST (UK) »
Hi, Handi,
Firstly, my contact with the Lloyd family is Christine Griffiths, married to Griff. We attended their wedding in 1965/6. First met through Fred Lloyd's widow, Ivy Woodman. She was my wife's aunt and, after Fred's death lived with us for 16 years. She died in 1979 in Portsmouth.
They had two children, Peter, b. 1936, infant death and Charles, b. 1946, also infant death. I have Fred's death certificate, which quotes the cause as bilateral broncho-pneumonia with alcohol as a factor. Not a good thing to post diagnoses on websites. I understand that his father had a similar problem.
At Christine's request, I have traced the Lloyd family back to 1779:

James Lloyd, b. 1779, a groom and shoemaker. Born atPuthowine, near to Builth Wells.
 He married Mary Price on 20 Nov. 1819 at Llanspyddid
They had two children, Thomas, bap. 19 March 1813 at Aberedw (I know this village - my friends had a cottage there) and William, bap. 15 Aug. 1819 at  Llanddewir Cwm (we visited the village, which consists of the chapel and a farm opposite!!) William died 1885 at West Bromwich, Vol. 6b Page 516. In 1881 census he was listed as 'wheelwright', living at 89 Hawkes Lane, West Bromwich.
I wrote to the vicar, who provided the info.:
A search of the baptism register for William Lloyd yielded this entry:

'15th August 1819, William, son of James & Mary Lloyd, farmers, at Puthgwine, which is an anglised form of Pwllgwyn, meaning 'White Pool', the name of a farm and ancient farmhouse still occupied in the parish.'

As you know, William married Jane Davies, b. 1823, d. 1860, in Sept. 1843, Vol. 18 Page 467
Jane was born at Llanddein Abergwesyn Llwynderw, Breconshire.

That is all the details I have to hand at present. Christine may have more details.
One variation is that I have William's second wife as MARY WILLINGS, b. 1840 at Dudley.
She married William in 1867 at West Bromwich, Vol. 6b Vol. 841. She was listed as 'widow'

I never met the Robb family but I understand that they lived in Leigh-on-Sea, Essex, so, as it is an uncommon name  it may be worth going to a main library to look through the telephone directory to see if there are any members of the family still there.

I see you are new to RootsChat, with 5 postings, so you may not be aware that it is not protocol to publish names of living persons, in case of identity fraud, etc. List them as 'living male/female' If you wish to pass details on, send a Personal Message so that only that person receives the details.

Rob.