Author Topic: William Wright  (Read 4784 times)

Offline Mar1gold

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Wright
« on: Tuesday 20 July 10 11:52 BST (UK) »
  Pigots Register Hampshire   

~~~~~~~~
Please could somebody please help me with a 'look up'. ;)I have just about given up looking for my Ancester William Wright, probably born about 1810.  He was a victular to the navy, and says in the records of his marrigae to his wife Louisa Allen, in 1834 Malta, that he comes from Alverstoke, Gosport, but I cannot find any  trace. His son, Charles Henry Wright (1843 )marries a Louisa Nibbs in Malta,she has parents that DO come from Alverstoke,a John Nibbs, who is a Master Baker, also for the Navy.The family all stayed in Malta, exceept for a son.  I am sure, a long time ago, I have seen a register of sort of census, possibly for the dockyard with both of these families on the same sheet??? or was it Pigots Register!  Could some one please put me out of my misery!!!!   

Offline Ebch

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Doolough Memorial
    • View Profile
Re: William Wright
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 20 July 10 12:11 BST (UK) »
Long shot but worth looking at - 1857 at 9 Basnett Street (Liverpool?) a Mr Wright described as a licenced victualer's auctioneer and valuer.  Was advertising auction of Crown vaults on Simpson street, largely populated area with thoroughfare to docks?
Mulhearn  Roche Deacey Tracy  Cordingley  Johnson Bullock  Bradley
Mayo  Roscommon  West Yorkshire  Derbyshire  Staffordshire

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 20 July 10 14:37 BST (UK) »
Familysearch Pilot has this possible Record;

William WRIGHT, Christened 03 October 1813, Holy Trinity, Gosport, Hampshire
Parents WILLIAM and JANE
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Mar1gold

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 20 July 10 18:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks EBCH, but if forgot to mention he died in 1850!! :)

Offline Mar1gold

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 20 July 10 18:29 BST (UK) »
Trish 1120, Thanks, this could be a possibility!, now to see if he is mentioned in the 1841 census, as my man was in Malta then!!Can I find the information you have on line??Cheers Chris

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 20 July 10 20:48 BST (UK) »
Pigot's are publishers of street and trade directories.

The census will only include these families on the same page if they are living in close proximity to one another.

If William married in Malta in 1834 and all his family stayed there, then there will not be a record in the census for him in England.

The baptism that trish found would appear to be the only one in Gosport/Alverstoke at around the correct time.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mar1gold

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 20 July 10 22:29 BST (UK) »
William was a vituller for the navy -one of  his sons, married the daughter of a 'Master Baker'  for the Navy, this family I know comes from Alverstoke in Hampshire. I have them on census. But I am sure I have also seen some sort of census, prior to William going to Malta,in about 1830?  The Baker also goes and stays in Malta,with some of his family but returns home,later to Gosport.  The 'sheet' had them living very near to each other, with other navy families? :) 

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 21 July 10 12:37 BST (UK) »
The first complete census which lists names is 1841.  Prior to this some census records exist, but not for all locations and not necessarily naming all the household.  Sometimes names are not included.  There is no surviving census listing for Portsea/Alverstoke or Gosport before 1841.

A Pigot's directory for Hampshire in 1828 can be found and browsed here:

http://www.historicaldirectories.org/hd

This directory is primarily a trade directory and unless their business was their own and listed, you may not find them.

Portsea and Gosport contained thousands of people connected to the dockyard.  Portsmouth which contained Portsea is listed as having a population of 50,000 by 1831 and 53,000 plus in 1841.  Gosport/Alverstoke had a population of more than 10,000 in 1831.

The sheet that you found - was it handwritten or printed?

I'm still not clear what information you hope to find or confirm  :-\

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mar1gold

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 21 July 10 13:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks Nell,  The paper I saw, was handwritten, a bit like the census, but not quite the same.   It was there I saw he was a victullar, on my ancestors wedding certificate, he was down as a publican(same sort of thing?) Others on the page also had their profession, was quite feint in places, and a job to see. The 1841 census gives very little information on professions, -this I thought looked more like naval information??  It was quite a few years ago now, and I thought I would be able to find it again, so didn't bother to take down any details!!That will teach me!! :(  I am off to 'kew' next week hopeing to find out more about the Malta papers, so that might give me more of a clue.  I would just like to know, where he was born - if I can make the connection??
Thanks again, Chris