Author Topic: John GRIBBLE  (Read 2324 times)

Offline HistoryKaye

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John GRIBBLE
« on: Wednesday 21 July 10 10:37 BST (UK) »
Searching for possible refs to John in Australia!

All I know is that he was born in 1877 in Barrow in Furness, Lancashire, England - son of Samuel and Marlow Gribble.

He was in the army (Shropshire Light Infantry) from 1895 and was discharged at his own request in 1913, Victoria Barracks, Melbourne Australia

I have no sign of him since then. Did he stay in Australia?
Back in the UK, he had a wife, Priscilla and a daughter, Cherry Marlo L(avinia?); located on the 1911 census for Portsmouth

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John GRIBBLE
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 21 July 10 12:32 BST (UK) »
Hi HistoryKaye,

As he had a bit of prior form, I wonder if this could be him?  His age varies between 40 and 42 in 1915, maybe a bit old for your chap, but there is mention of 20 years military service.  Maybe have a read of all the articles to see if there are any clues.  The 21st was a Sydney battalion.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/result?sortby=dateAsc&q=%22john+gribble%22&l-decade=191

Debra

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline HistoryKaye

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: John GRIBBLE
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 21 July 10 16:06 BST (UK) »
interesting... think he was younger than that; stated age as 34 in 1911 census so that would make him 38 in 1915