Author Topic: Alexander Paton Kinross  (Read 10238 times)

Offline bpietruch

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Alexander Paton Kinross
« on: Thursday 22 July 10 03:06 BST (UK) »
I have been looking for the birth  of my gggrandfather Alexander Paton for approximately 4 years.  All census information I have found indicates his birth place as Kinross around 1843 - 1844.

His marriage cert Nov 25, 1870 in Central Glasgow District to Janet Fyfe shows his parents as Peter Paton, Tailor and Margaret Miller both deceased.

I have found him in 1851 census in Kinross in Boarding House of Catherine Gow listed as scholar, pauper with no Paton's close. 

In the 1841 census I found a Peter Paton 35 Tailor, with children Agnes, Laurence and Peter.  This Peter I tracked to Australia where he died and on death cert lists  marriages to Janet  Geddes, whom I assume had died prior to 1841 & second marriage to Janet Millar who accompanied he and son peter to Australia - daughter Agnes Pattullo had emigrated there after 1841.No mention of  a child Alexander or marriage to Margaret Millar.

No certs in Scotland's People for his birth or IGI mentions.  I am assuming( I try not to assume but this brick wall of mine is making me crazy) either Alexander was illegitimate son of Peter or his birth may be documented in Associate records of Kinross which the LDS do not have microfilmed. 

Do the records exist locally or are they all held in NAS?  He was married in Presbyterian Church in Glasgow by George Proudfoot and I have had little luck identifying that church specifically to see if there is more info on other family members in
church records.  I would assume films cannot be ordered and purchased from NAS?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bonnie Paton-Pietruch
Pennsylvania, US
Paton, Tainsh, McDougall, Fyfe, Livingstone / Scotland
McElmoyle, Hodge/Ireland
Whildin/Wales
Bond, James/England