Author Topic: COMPLETE Has anyone access to New York Newspapers 1942  (Read 12231 times)

Offline suzilad

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
COMPLETE Has anyone access to New York Newspapers 1942
« on: Thursday 22 July 10 14:51 BST (UK) »
I have recently discovered that a relative Robert Black Withers b 1906 in Scotland was killed in a train accident while living and working in New York in 1942. Since this is the only information I have on him I would be extremely grateful if anyone could help me find anything  els

Offline StevenWithers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone access to New York Newspapers 1942
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 22 July 10 16:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Ann,

This is true, he did get hit by a train in 1942. Other info:  He was married to an Elizabeth Eustis (The Eustis family I know is a very very old family from Pennsylvania.).  They had my father Robert Black Withers 2 in 1927.  Elizabeth died when RBW2 was only 3.  His father RBW1 remarried.  I do not know the name of the new wife but I know they had 3 daughters.  My mother always kept in touch with them but over the years they lost contact.  He was then killed in 1942 in the train accident.

I e-mailed you the picture of RBW1 and Hugh Withers.  I also messaged you through RootsChat, but I don't think you're getting these messages.  If you are, please let me know through e-mail. Thank you.

Regards,
Steven

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 22 July 10 17:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Steven, that confirms the marriage and family I connected RBW 2 with.  It will be interesting if someone can find any newspaper article on the accident.  Was he working on the railways ?
Perhaps jval has the e-mail notification switched off, it sometimes can happen.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline StevenWithers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 22 July 10 17:16 BST (UK) »
No he wasn't working on the railways. He was a coal miner.  I would think he was either transporting coal by railway or was taking the train home from work. I will check the newspapers from 1942 for the accident.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 22 July 10 17:19 BST (UK) »
Presumably RBW1 moved on to New York about 1930. So would this new marriage have been in New York ?  Have you an idea of district ?  I'll have to check back on my notes but I thought I had another marriage listed for checking in Queens ?
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 22 July 10 17:22 BST (UK) »
That would be great.  It may even give a clue as to his wife's name. The Eustice family were a little complicated if I remember rightly.

Offline StevenWithers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 22 July 10 17:25 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure where this marriage took place but I will find out from my brother (RBW3).  If the marriage was in New York, the district would be Brooklyn or Queens(most likely Brooklyn).  I am looking for newspapers now.

Yes, the Eustises have been in Pennsylvania for a very long time (since the 1600s).  They also were not very nice people my father once told me.

Offline suzilad

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 22 July 10 17:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Steven,
                 I emailed you last night for the photo and again when the other one arrived about an hour ago maybe they went into your spam do you check there?
I put this piece in as I wanted to find  more on Robert Withers Black and thought maybe someone would have access to the newspapers . As I told you when you contacted me that it is a big family and there could be more interesting information about them .

Hi Steven,
                I don't understand this with the emails or messages through this site my emails I always receipt so that I know that they have been been received and opened  opened . I always check my spam just in case some of my mail ends up there. .There is no one else uses this computer so I just cannot fathom it out at all .

Ann.
p.s.  I have received the picture twice thank you.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 22 July 10 17:41 BST (UK) »
Oh crumbs - might have another look through the Eustice again later -

So you would remember your grandmother - was'nt a name like Ottila or something like that ?

Hey Jval - the Newspaper idea was a good one - wonder if there could be an obituary notice somewhere.

Steven, have you any idea of the burial place ?