Author Topic: Sinclair - Isle of Arran  (Read 11103 times)

Offline Minky15

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sinclair - Isle of Arran
« on: Thursday 22 July 10 19:02 BST (UK) »
Moderator comment: please see http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,423417.msg2884261.html#msg2884261

This is a bit of a longshot. 

I am trying to track a George Sinclair who may or may not have been born on the Isle of Arran in about 1872. 

He was a bit of a rogue and it may have just have been a tall story that he was Arran born...but can anyone see any trace of a birth for anyone of that name around that time in Arran??

Are there any Sinclairs on the 1871 census for Arran that might have been his family?

Sorry for the lack of any other details.  We know what happened to him from about 1901 onwards but his birth, family and early life are a mystery. One branch of the family has always thought he, or his family, were from the isle of Arran.

Any assistance would be brilliant.  We are almost at the end of our tethers trying to find him!

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Sinclair - Isle of Arran
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 22 July 10 19:35 BST (UK) »
1881 and 1891 -  I did a 2yr search either side of 1872 but no George Sinclair b or living in Buteshire

Is Arran in Bute or in Ayrshire?  There was nothing under Ayrshire either

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline excel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 22 July 10 19:52 BST (UK) »
I can see he doesn't want to be found!
In 1871 there was a Charles Sinclair born 1864, Kilmory, Bute with parents, Donald and Mary Sinclair. In  later censuses when married to Helen/Ellen it says that he was born Arran. I can't find any births of a George. In 1881 was a William G Sinclair b c 1874, Kilfinan, Argyllshire. Parents were Duncan, a millwright, born Oban and Jane of Millhouse Rd, Kilfinan. Jane and other children born Kilfinan.
Sorry, that's all I have time for at the moment.
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cline: Ireland and Berwick on Twieed
Collin: Eyemouth
Clyne: Ireland, Berwickshire, Northumberland
Barns, Barnes: Fife
Walker: Edinburgh & Stirling
Laing, Wilson, Forrest, Forrester, Colven, Rae, Cowe, Buglass, Johnson, Wilson, Thorburn, Darling, Broomfield, : Berwickshire
McRaw, Cameron, Taylor, Gould/Guild, McIntyre, Maxton, McDonald, Douglass : Perthshire
Cormack, Campbell, Sutherland, Doull: Caithness

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 22 July 10 20:26 BST (UK) »
Previous post here on George Sinclair www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,423417.0.html

Did you follow up on the suggestions there? Did you obtain the marriage cert for George and May to at least confirm father's name for this George?

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 22 July 10 21:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that link Monica - there is a huge amount of info posted on it which could have ended up being duplicated here
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Minky15

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 23 July 10 09:45 BST (UK) »
Yes sorry.  It's such a long and winding story that I didn't think it was very helpful to go into it all.  But, I did forget to mention that I do have the birth cert for George and May.  They were married in a registry office in Cardiff 25 April 1900.  He was 28, she was 22.  His father was apparently George Sinclair (deceased) - occupation 'Independent Means'.

I did wonder whether trying to trace May's family might help. But haven't had much luck with that either.  Her father was apparently John Desmond (deceased) - occupation Master Mariner.  There is a middle name for John Desmond which I cannot quite make out.  I think it may be Ross.

Offline Minky15

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 23 July 10 09:46 BST (UK) »
 'birth cert' - I meant marriage certificate.  Sorry!!!

Offline Minky15

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 23 July 10 09:58 BST (UK) »
Oh and I also meant to say thanks for your help so far everyone.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 23 July 10 11:28 BST (UK) »
The info re: marriage cert would best be posted on your previous link for continuity purposes

I will ask the moderator to merge this topic with your old one.