Author Topic: BBC TV "WDYTYA?" Series 8 Episode #2: Rupert Everett  (Read 71013 times)

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Who Do You Think You Are 8 - Rupert Everett
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 27 July 10 08:35 BST (UK) »
This won't be on my list of favourite episodes, because (1) Rupert Everett was such a drama queen, and (2) I wouldn't want him doing any genealogy research for me, because he jumped to too many conclusions.  There were lots of facts that were skipped over on certificates which would have ended the programme 20 minutes earlier, which would have suited me just fine  ::)

:( :( :( :(

I quite agree.  In fact, these later episodes all seem to focus on the personality and silly twitterings of the celebrity concerned, rather than the family being researched, and I find it totally off-putting.  It's a shame really, because the original progamme concept seems to have been lost.

>:( >:( >:(

The programme did set out on a mission - to find out if Rupert's g. grandfather was a stockbroker, like his father was, and it achieved that goal.  What I didn't like was the way it was done.  Rupert either had very poor support from the researchers, or he didn't listen to them.  For instance, when he sent off for the birth certificate of his grandfather, he skipped over the first column (date and place of birth) so fast, he almost set fire to the paper !   His grandfather clearly wasn't born at the swanky address befitting his grandparent's status.  Looking at that, clearly something had gone wrong, but it took another 10 minutes of programme time with Rupert wading through newspaper records to find out that his ancestor had gone bankrupt.

When this programme is watched by so many who have a great interest in genealogy, it is an insult to their intelligence to skip over such important clues that even a novice would spot.  Another example was speculation of how old his g. grandmother was, when 3 minutes earlier he had her marriage certificate in his hand !

RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline singingsusie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 27 July 10 08:43 BST (UK) »
I too was disappointed by this episode.  It appeared to lack focus, as if it had been cobbled together at the last minute.  For someone perhaps watching the series for the first time, it would do nothing to inspire them to research in a systematic way.
Esam, Rawnsley, Sunderland, Settle, Goldthorp, Sykes, Wheatley. (Lightcliffe)

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 27 July 10 08:46 BST (UK) »
i know they only have an hour but its a shame more wasnt said of Georgina, so they didnt find her under teague or everett on the 1891 census i wonder if they tried name variants or if she had died or remarried ?
its also a shame they didnt go further back than the Victorians

i found Cyrils bp. online
b. 6 June bp. 5 Sept St Clements Notting Hill, Cyril Frederick Cunningham Everett 33 Woodstock rd, Shepherds Bush, s/o Frederick and Georgina Everett, Fred is a sailor.

this is Georgina in 1881 (the one they used on the program last night)
RG11;  21;  20; 35;

Georgina Teague marriage on FreeBMD has a postem next to it!
which says Births Sep 1886
Everett Cyril Frederick C Fulham 1a 204

marriage
Marriages Dec 1883   Kensington    1a   77
DRAKE    Martha           
Everett    Frederic William C          
Teague    Georgina            
WHITLEY    Robert       

added
the marriage is online too:
29 Oct 1883 St james Norland Kensington
Georgina Teague   20 spinster 25 Portland Rd, George Teague Manager
Frederic William Cuningham Everett    20 bachelor seaman 25 Portland Rd Frederic Everett Stockbroker
both sigend
witnesses i have no idea!

Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive

Offline pwitz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 27 July 10 09:50 BST (UK) »
As has been said already, he missed vital clues on the certs.

I thought his great aunt was an absolute gem!

Polly

Offline nestagj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 27 July 10 10:08 BST (UK) »
"Play for the other team"     :o :o  poor Aunty !

Marcella Lawless parent's were Irish via Yorkshire - he was a beerhouse keeper and Labourer .......1871 census; so it looks like he did have some navvies in the family !  You can follow them through to 1911............although by this time her father Patrick is dead - she and her mother are in a hotel in Bournemouth.

N

Offline Ringoroses

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 27 July 10 10:22 BST (UK) »
When this programme is watched by so many who have a great interest in genealogy, it is an insult to their intelligence to skip over such important clues that even a novice would spot.  Another example was speculation of how old his g. grandmother was, when 3 minutes earlier he had her marriage certificate in his hand !

I agree totally. This episode was very annoying! And I'm getting really irritated by the ' x has gone to the x archive/library to find out about x" segment, where we find his journey was completely unnecessary because all the hard work has actually been done by a researcher at said institution, who simply hands it to him in the best lookiing room they can find in the building!

Everett ambled nonchallently into the maritime museum and was handed all his ancestors necessary documents without even a mention of where they came from, or an indication of all the hard work that went in to finding them. I think this is remiss of the programme makers, because the celebrity is surely missing out on the emotional journey the research experience takes you on - seeing my 3x grandfather's name on the big, dusty old Master Mariner's ledger at the Guildhall Library, for example, is one of the highlights of my research so far.  Yet Everett was simply handed a black and white photocopy of the page with his ancestors name on it which, did little to provide any context for the document, and gave it none of the emotional impact of seeing where it came from has.  

Offline ankerdine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Scottish relatives sisters?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 27 July 10 10:28 BST (UK) »
Well done Toni  proving that anyone (even the BBC) could have found out on-line the basic amount of information. A very interesting addendum.

I felt sorry for the elderly "discovered cousin" who was instantly challenged by Mr Everett when he said that he owed him a £1000. For a few moments he really looked worried. A very nasty piece of filming.

Judy
Blair, Marshall, Williamson - Ayrshire, Wigtownshire
Saxton, Sketchley - Nottinghamshire, Leicestershire
Brown, Green - Rutland
Hawker, Malone, Bradbury, Arnott, Turner, Woodings, Blakemore, Upton, Merricks - Warwickshire, Staffordshire
Silvers, Dudley, Worcs
Deakin - Staffordshire

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 27 July 10 10:37 BST (UK) »
I felt sorry for the elderly "discovered cousin" who was instantly challenged by Mr Everett when he said that he owed him a £1000. For a few moments he really looked worried. A very nasty piece of filming.

Judy

I thought that part was a bit uncomfortable too but I felt that it was just one of several remarks that Mr Everett made which demonstrated his lack of involvement in any of this. He, and like him I am now jumping to conclusions, seems to be a bit lacking in the art of general social interaction. Perhaps that's because of his 'canteen of (silver) cutlery) or his lifestyle as a 'luvvie'.

heywood  (proud daughter of a navvie  ;))
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ringoroses

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 27 July 10 10:38 BST (UK) »
A very nasty piece of filming.

I also thought the bit where he got the guys name wrong could easily have been reshot - like we believe that was actually the moment they first met, the camera's just happened to be there?  Wondered what the programme makers were trying to acheive there.