Author Topic: The 'Globe Works', Lincoln  (Read 10536 times)

Offline hwilson90

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
The 'Globe Works', Lincoln
« on: Friday 23 July 10 21:45 BST (UK) »
I have recently visited the grave of a family member whose headstone says he died in an accident at the 'Globe Works' in Lincoln in 1903. I have had a look online but have found little info about the company and nothing about the accident. Is 'Robey & Co' (on Canwick Road) the correct company? Does anyone have any further knowledge about this?

Also, where would be the best place to search for information about the accident - the Lincoln archives or a library with old newspapers etc? (I live in the area)

Thank you! :)
Lincolnshire -
Wilson, Cavill, Andrews, Smith

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The 'Globe Works', Lincoln
« Reply #1 on: Friday 23 July 10 22:30 BST (UK) »
Hi hwilson90 and welcome to RootsChat :)

Yes, the Globe Works was Robey's.

If you go to http://www.old-maps.co.uk/maps.html and search Lincoln, then select the 1887 map (on the right), and zoom in ... you'll see Globe Works is marked.

Something about Robey's here - see 1854 to confirm "Globe Works". http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/wiki/Robey_and_Co
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline hwilson90

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 23 July 10 22:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the info/links, they look great!
Lincolnshire -
Wilson, Cavill, Andrews, Smith

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 25 July 10 14:22 BST (UK) »
Robey's works had the word ROBEY in large white bricks embedded in the southeastern exterior wall next to the railway line. After this line was closed in the early 1960s, the company acquired part of the track bed and made another entrance through the wall. Subsequently the sign in the wall then read R BEY. We concluded it had been acquired by an Arab sheikh!
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 25 July 10 15:15 BST (UK) »
Halfway down this page, there is a photo of the back of the works next to the railway http://www.leytransport.i12.com/arch.htm

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 25 July 10 15:59 BST (UK) »
That brings back memories, pity there isn't a picture of Robey's works after it was bought by the Arab!The destruction of bridges in conjunction with the closures, is a very sore point to this day, and gives credence to the widely held belief that the closures were not for to rationalisation purposes but to permanently benefit road transport, and hence revenues from petrol tax. For those who weren't around then, the destruction of bridges occurred nationwide, and not just in some areas.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 25 July 10 16:15 BST (UK) »
What was the Chaplin Arms (where my grandad used to go for his daily game of crib) used to stand in the shadow of one of the railway bridges.  Now it just stands forlorn :(

As well as the Robeys workshop which can be seen, there was another of which only part of the outer wall remains.  http://tinyurl.com/2vcevf9

Move along Canwick Road to the north and more Robey buildings come into view.

Offline Glen in Tinsel Kni

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Scottish Borders
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 31 July 10 11:43 BST (UK) »
In my tree there are a couple of deaths in the foundries of Lincoln, always worth asking at the library for a search of the newspapers as the articles can be uite revealing.

The death certs (i get mine from Lincoln) also have an amazing amount of detail on them too.

Offline NicNic

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 22 March 11 22:23 GMT (UK) »
After months of research I have tonight found our great grand father. He was a boarder at the Chaplin Arms, Canwick rd. His trade was  a fitter, I am putting 2 + 2 and guessing he was at the Globe Works. 1891.
I found a photo of the public house, I dont know how old the pic is? Do you have any info' that will keep me in the right direction. Do You know if there would there be a list of employee's from the globe works at that time?

What was the Chaplin Arms (where my grandad used to go for his daily game of crib) used to stand in the shadow of one of the railway bridges.  Now it just stands forlorn :(

As well as the Robeys workshop which can be seen, there was another of which only part of the outer wall remains.  http://tinyurl.com/2vcevf9

Move along Canwick Road to the north and more Robey buildings come into view.