Author Topic: Wexford People  (Read 73515 times)

Offline Peter Crosby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Wexford People
« Reply #81 on: Monday 23 July 18 01:55 BST (UK) »
Crosbie

It has been said that our ancestors came from an island off Wexford. The surviving parish registers are available in Microfilm in the National Library of Ireland in Dublin for the period up to 1870 and it may be possible to obtain some information there re: Michael (1700) place of birth, parents etc.  It is possible that he came to Wexford from a parish just North or North West of the town.

The name must have been changed to CROSBIE sometime after the birth of James (1804). Crosby (like Formby, Whitby and Kirby) was the name of a Norse (Viking) settlement in North West England about 850 a.d.  The Mac an Crosain (MacCrossan) changed their name to the English, Crosbie/Crosby around 1575 - There is much writing about the Crosbies of Kerry.

[
color=Blue]    Michael Crosby it would appear came to Wexford town to work and married a local girl Mary Roth on the 15th September 1717.  She was born on the 27th April 1706, to William Roth and Margaret Hay. ( I expect that there has been an error with regard to wedding date as Mary would have only been 11yrs of age in 1717 – I would deduce from the age of their 1st born John that this should read 1727)

They had 5 sons –
John 1728,
Thomas 1730,
Miles 1732,
William 1734
My Great, Great, Great, Great Grandfather James, born on the 20th July, 1736.[/color]

James married Anastasia Rossiter

They had 2 daughters and 6 sons.
The eldest, John, was born on the 8th December 1768
followed by Elizabeth 1774,
Anastasia 1776,
Thomas 1781,
James 1782,
Thomas 1793,
Michael 1785,
William 1787
.[/color]

John married Mary Downes

Their children included a daughter
Elizabeth 1802
followed by a son, James who was born on the 14th November 1804.
[/color]

James married Anne Mernagh from Oylgate, Co. Wexford on the 9th November 1844.  Witnesses were Peter Mernagh and John Furlong.  Anne died on the 22nd September 1868 aged 43 years.

They had a daughter Mary born 27th September 1845
and several sons who included Patrick 1847,
Peter 1851 (13th June)
James,
Thomas 1861
Richard 1865.
[/color]

Peter 1851 married Margaret Bolger (89)
Margaret Bolger had a brother, James, who died at 98 years and a sister Anne, who died at 94years.

Their children were
James 1881,
Martin 1882,
Annie,
Margaret,
Michael 1890,
Richard 1892,
Peeney and Bessie (Peter and Elizabeth).
[/color]

I been researching the Crosby's for the last 40 years. My 3rd great grandfather Thomas Crosby was born in Co Wexford and it has been said that he was born in Bunclody, Newtownberry, Co Wexford in 1806. He moved to the States (Burlington, Vermont) in 1851 with his seven children. His death record says his parents names were Michael Crosby and Bridget McKenzie. I assume they were from Wexford and my best guess is that they are descendants from Michael Crosby and Mary Rath who were married in Wexford town 15 Sep 1728 according to the parish records. Any other thoughts that could be a connection?
Peter Crosby
Crosby/Crosbie, McKenzie, Power, Lavelle, McGovern, Doyle, Lonergan, Dempsey, Kennedy, Kelly, McKenna, Redmond, Rath.

Offline Peter Crosby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Monday 23 July 18 13:08 BST (UK) »
Another thought, I believe the name of the wife of James Crosby was Anastatia Bofseter as there were other Bofseter's in the same record book at that time.
Peter Crosby
Crosby/Crosbie, McKenzie, Power, Lavelle, McGovern, Doyle, Lonergan, Dempsey, Kennedy, Kelly, McKenna, Redmond, Rath.

Offline mtabbut

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Tuesday 31 July 18 00:01 BST (UK) »
Another thought, I believe the name of the wife of James Crosby was Anastatia Bofseter as there were other Bofseter's in the same record book at that time.
Peter Crosby

Just a thought on Anastasia.  Sorry if someone has already mentioned this.  Her last name of Bofseter could perhaps be Rosseter/Rossiter.  I've looked at so many Rossiter records in Wexford over the past year and sometimes the name looks like Bofseter.  I remember that this is how  "ss" was sometimes written in the old days.  "f" can be "s", and "B" and "R" sometimes look alike in old fashioned cursive. 
Maureen

Offline Peter Crosby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Thursday 02 August 18 20:22 BST (UK) »
I do believe you are correct Rossiter seems to be correct.

I also believe that Thomas Crosby (abt 1670-1729) was the father of Michael Crosby who had married Mary Rath. There is a 1729 Will that was settled in Wexford also a baptismal record for a Christopher Crosby. Father listed Thomas Crosby and Mother listed Elizabeth Redmond, dated September 20, 1700 from the Wexford Parish. With a Thomas in every generation this must be the patriarch.

Peter Crosby

Offline Jo Mitchell

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Thursday 19 September 19 10:53 BST (UK) »
It would be wonderful to see that photo! I have very little information on my great grandmother so naturally I was delighted to see your post. I know the Stafford family were farmers from Rathaspick,
Co. Wexford but that is all!
I attach a copy of one of the few photos I have of Catherine Stafford with her husband John Corcoran..

I know this conversation was a long time ago, but I would love to talk to anyone with Stafford connections to Rathaspick, especially those from the townland of that name. I believe that Peter Stafford and Mary Whitty who lived in the townland and baptised children in Piercetown Parish between 1815 and 1835 could well have been my 3xgreat-grandparents