Author Topic: Passenger Lists - Soutter  (Read 1197 times)

Offline Sparkle170

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Passenger Lists - Soutter
« on: Saturday 24 July 10 19:48 BST (UK) »
Hi, hoping that someone can help me.

I am looking for the passenger list details of 2 brothers:  James and Robert Soutter, born in London who travelled to the US and settled in Chicago, Illinois sometime around 1875 - 1895.  Any ideas of where I can find potential passenger lists would be great.  I don't know what port they sailed from or to but I don't know where to start my seach.

Many thanks
Sparkle

Offline Dave Francis

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cornelius Fisk Goodwin (1880-1961)
    • View Profile
Re: Passenger Lists - Soutter
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 July 10 20:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Sparkle

I can see what appears to be Robert listed in the 1910 US Federal Census, living in Chicago with wife Jennie and children.

This Robert (if it's the same man) entered the US in 1880.

It also records that he was 49 years old (in 1910), that his father was Scottish and that his mother was English. Does this sound about right?

Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Surnames include: FRANCIS in Glamorgan / LANWORN in Monmouth / BLACKMAN, RUSSELL in Sussex / KEARSEY, BARLTROP in Essex / TOOKEY in Leicestershire / LASHMORE in London and Kent / GOODWIN, PASQUE, ATTOE, FISK, QUINTON, RUFFLES, CULLINGFORD and others in Suffolk / MAYOSS anywhere anytime! / GILMORE in Belfast

Offline Dave Francis

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cornelius Fisk Goodwin (1880-1961)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 24 July 10 21:02 BST (UK) »
Here we go...

Arriving in New York on 12 April 1880 on board the 'California' (from London)

James Soutter age 23 engineer
Robt Soutter age 21 engineer
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Surnames include: FRANCIS in Glamorgan / LANWORN in Monmouth / BLACKMAN, RUSSELL in Sussex / KEARSEY, BARLTROP in Essex / TOOKEY in Leicestershire / LASHMORE in London and Kent / GOODWIN, PASQUE, ATTOE, FISK, QUINTON, RUFFLES, CULLINGFORD and others in Suffolk / MAYOSS anywhere anytime! / GILMORE in Belfast

Offline Maggie1895

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 24 July 10 21:08 BST (UK) »
Sparkle, there is a listing for a Mr and Mrs James Soutter travelling from Glasgow to New York in July 1900 on the State of Nebraska.
They are both listed as 40, he is a draper, and they have their children with them - Mabel, James, Herbert, Maud and Eva
Doesn't sound as if they are yours but they are the only Soutters I can see - the lists I'm looking at only start in 1890.
Sorry

p.s. oops!   Just crossed with Dave who has the correct couple, so ignore mine
Census information Crown Copywright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk / National Archives of Scotland

Offline Sparkle170

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Passenger Lists - Soutter - CLOSED
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 24 July 10 21:58 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much to you all.  The info from Dave exactly matches so I am sure this is right.  Another mystery resolved!

Thank you