Author Topic: Need help unravelling this!  (Read 2199 times)

Offline Jme79

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Need help unravelling this!
« on: Saturday 24 July 10 22:05 BST (UK) »
Please bear with me...my head is hurting. I'm trying to work out where the Watling name comes from in this story and who Charlotte Watling's father is.

Charlotte Whatling (born abt 1852) married William Chilvers in Cransford and on her marriage certificate it lists James Tye as her father.  James Tye married Mary Ann Watling in 1855 in Great Glemham and on the 1861 Census Charlotte is listed as "Step Daughter".

Straightforward so far? Charlotte was born before James & Mary's marriage.  On Mary Ann's marriage certificate it lists her father as Samuel Newson. 

I've looked up the birth for Mary Ann and she was born Mary Ann Capon Newson, 9th July 1831 in Framlingham to Samuel Newson & Matton (From IGI). I've found a marriage in 1828 of Samuel Newson and Hannah Mattan so I'm thinking that might be the right people.

So, where on earth did the Watling name come from, any ideas?!  I ordered a birth certificate for Charlotte once but it wasn't the right one and I can't see anything else that comes close.

All help appreciated!

Offline Old Mother Reilly

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Need help unravelling this!
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 July 10 22:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Joanna:

I see there is a website for UK Watlings:
www.watling.org.uk
Might be worth a look in case there might be some information here on a connection with your Charlotte?

Rachel
Stevens (Devizes, Calne, Wootton Bassett): Hunt (Milford/Lymington, Calne): Moore/Rudland (Ipswich): Whitlock (Pitton & Farley): Hayter (Whiteparish)

O'Reilly (Sheffield, Flint, L'pool, Co. Longford): Foxton (Sheffield, Northallerton, Thirsk): Spragg (St. Teath, Delabole, Pengelly): Stabb (Berry Pomeroy)

Gore (Newbury, Wigan): Hawkins (Gt Bedwyn/Hungerford): Massey/Wallis (Shalbourne): Mildenhall (Ogbourne): Smith/Lilley (Nhants): Wernham (Chieveley): Woosnam (Mont./Salop): Yaldwyn (Blackdown)

Offline Jme79

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 24 July 10 22:19 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that, amazing website! I've never come across that before so it's really interesting. Still drew a blank for Charlotte however. Will look for Mary Ann now just in case. Of course Charlotte may have not been registered "Watling" I suppose.

Offline Jme79

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 24 July 10 22:30 BST (UK) »
Oh also, it's possible I've gone completely wrong somewhere and her father was a different Samuel Newson. I'm thinking this because the one I mention above is listed as an Ag Lab in the census, but her marriage certificate says he was a shoemaker.

I'm so confused now.

Offline Nick_Ips

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 24 July 10 22:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Joanna,

Just a thought, is it possible that Mary Ann NEWSON married a WHATLING who died before she married James TYE?  What was Mary Ann's marital status at the 1855 marriage?  Or is my head hurting too much as well!

Good luck,

Nick

Offline Jme79

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 24 July 10 22:33 BST (UK) »
She was listed as a Spinster on her marriage certificate.

I've found a Samuel Newson married a Sophia who was a shoemaker living in Framlingham, so that could possibly be Mary Ann's parents but I need to locate a birth for her as well to tie that in.

Eta, but if that was her parents the ages don't die up for Sophia to be her mother. Unless that's Samuel's 2nd marriage. Yikes.

I think I've deduced that Samuel & Hannah & Mary Ann Capon Newson are not the right people now but I can't find a Mary Ann Watling to link to Samuel Newson the shoemaker.

Offline Nick_Ips

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 24 July 10 23:09 BST (UK) »

Yup, my head hurts too now.

I guess 'spinster' might have been a mistake by the vicar?  Does the 1861 census give Charlotte's birthplace - are there any baptisms there for a Charlotte around the right time?

Could be worse - she could have been a 'Smith'!

Nick

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 25 July 10 00:13 BST (UK) »
I think I've found the Newsom family in Back Street, Framlingham in the 1841 census (HO107-1028-9 p.39).  This given Samuel Neweson as 40 yrs old, Hannah as 30 and children Emma 10, Mary 9, Harriet 8, Elizabeth 4, George 1.

In the 1851 census it looks as though Mary is known as Whatling and is a servant at an Inn in Great Glemham (HO107-1802-693-17): "Mary A Watling, Servant, 21, born Framlingham".

Not that the above has progressed the matter at all, but this is by way of checking in and trying to confirm if what I have found agrees with what you have!
Regards,
Greensleeves
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk