Author Topic: Deleted post  (Read 2525 times)

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
Deleted post
« on: Saturday 24 July 10 23:28 BST (UK) »
I've just had an email notification that one of the threads I have contributed to has been deleted by the person who instigated it.

I thought that posts were simply marked 'compete' and that deleting wasn't an option.

Can anyone shed any light?

Christine

Offline terryau

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Deleted post
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 22 August 10 01:28 BST (UK) »
Hi , I also thought it was not possible also to delete a posting. I want to delete a 'for sale' item which is no longe available and I cant. Seems a stupid rule to me.
terry

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 22 August 10 02:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Terry

Generally speaking it's not so stupid - the theory is that the query/discussion may be over but someone new could come along and might benefit from the contents of the thread.  Also when a thread is deleted your number of posts goes down accordingly - we'd all be lucky if we had enough to send a pm at that rate  ;D

As for your 'for sale' item - go back to your first post on the thread, click modify and adjust the title by adding 'complete' or, in this instance 'sold' would do.

I still never found out why that thread disappeared!

Christine

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 22 August 10 02:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Christine

I didn't think a person could physically delete a thread, only a Moderator. I have seen a couple of cases where a person has edited a message by removing the content and typing Deleted instead.

Where a Topic has completely disappeared it has usually been either quarantined whilst they make a decision about the content, and then possibly deleted if not appropriate to Rootschat ie political, or else its been Spam. Your best bet would be to contact a Moderator about the specific Topic.

Andy

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 22 August 10 08:12 BST (UK) »
Your best bet would be to contact a Moderator about the specific Topic.

I agree :)

Please PM a moderator with more details
http://www.rootschat.com/help/mods.php#contact

Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 22 August 10 19:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks guys but I really don’t think it’s worth making a fuss - I was simply curious.

First I had an email notification that this thread had been marked complete by the person who started it.  I couldn’t remember it so checked - it was an innocuous little thing about how to use batch numbers on IGI - nothing earth-shattering, certainly not toxic in any way but potentially useful.  Then another email advised me that it had been deleted by the same person - not a mod.  This thread was the only one that he/she had been involved in and he/she has now completely disappeared from the site - no details on here at all.

And that’s why I was curious  ;D

Christine

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 22 August 10 22:38 BST (UK) »
And that’s why I was curious 
Christine

It's also why the Mods are curious ..... under normal circumstances only moderators or Admin can delete posts but occasionally the system throws up a blip and allows a normal user to do this. The Mods need to track down when and why this has happened to protect the integrity of the information that basically is Rootschat.

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 22 August 10 22:57 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately I can't remember the name of the poster or the title of the thread but I'm pretty sure it was in the Beginners section and deleted either the same day as I started this thread or the day before.

Ah well, some things are destined to remain a mystery - a bit like family history, really  ;)

Christine